REVIEW ITUO WIZ1 & WIZ2 -900 Lumens USB recharge wireless bike light, 26650 & 18650

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
REVIEW ITUO WIZ1 & WIZ2 -900 Lumens USB recharge wireless bike light, 26650 & 18650

ITUO WIZ1 & WIZ2 - 900 Lumens USB rechargeable wireless bicycle light, powered by 26650 & 18650 (pictures heavy)

Back in January 2015, I was given the chance to test and send feedback of a prototype bike light from ITUO, a new cycle light manufacturer.
The cycle light was a single XM-L2 with a USB rechargeable and internal and replaceable battery.

wiz900%20%28101%29.JPG

A while back, ITUO sent me two updated WIZ1, with one of them being in the WIZ2 configuration. The lights have kept their general looks but have had some improvement on the weaknesses mentioned during the review and forum feedbacks.

My new review is for the WIZ1 and WIZ2 as the hardware & software are identical with the only differences being the battery tubes and batteries.

The WIZ1and WIZ2 are 900 lumen single XM-L2 LED bike lights powered by 26650 or 18650 li-ion battery with on board USB chargeable capability, a GO-PRO compatible mount and a likeable interface.

What's in the box
Both, the WIZ1 and WIZ2 do come in identical boxes, a natural cardboard colour with a black insert, covered by a white sleeve. I appreciate it is only a box, but the feel and look inspires quality. Once open, the lights and accessories are well protected by a cut out white foam insert.
The lights received were pre-assembled with the battery in tube. A USB cable is provided as well as a "Wise" GoPro compatible bar mount and an instruction sheet.
wiz900%20%28107%29%20.jpg

wiz900%20%28116%29.JPG

wiz900%20%28119%29.JPG

wiz900%20%28120%29.JPG

Initial overview and feel

As soon as you pick up the WIZ1 & 2 you realise that this bike lights will also double up as a flashlights (Torch for us English). They have a cylindrical shape with no sharp edges and do tailstand. The WIZ2 is more pocket friendly due to the smaller body tube and lighter in weight, but for me the WIZ1 has a better hand grip due to size and shape of the battery tube. The anodizing is flawless for both lights. The WIZ1, I received in blue and the WIZ2 in a brown finish which is not available as they only list blue or black. My WIZ2 sample was actually marked with WIZ1 logo, which does not matter as only the battery tube and battery are different. The markings are very minimal and are one side of the head with the manufacturer's name, model and web address all in crisp white lettering. On the opposite side is the USB port covered by a rubber plug with a double lip acting as water seal. Positioned on the top is the switch with integrated battery gauge light. The cooling fins are also quite minimal and are positioned behind the bezel. The body tube is where the WIZ1 differs from the WIZ2. Both have square clean threads and a single "o" ring. The WIZ1does have a much bigger tube to accommodate the 26650 4500mAh battery. Both tubes are made a little larger than the battery supplied presumably to accommodate a higher capacity battery in the future? The tension spring is at the bottom of the tube and the positive terminal in the head is spring loaded, so the battery does not rattle on rough trails. Half of the quick release bracket is cast in the body of the light and just forward of it, appears to be a mounting point for a lanyard, which is a good idea if used as flashlight or an helmet light. The "WISE" bar mount uses the GoPro system and does not require different rubber spacers for use on a 25.4 or a 35mm bar.
The lights are supplied with Ituo's own batteries which are clearly marked with + and - . They are of the raised positive terminal which make it easier to do a battery change in the dark and appear to be of good quality.

wiz900%20%28130%29.JPG

wiz900%20%28133%29.JPG

wiz900%20%28137%29.JPG

wiz900%20%28144%29.JPG

wiz900%20%28145%29.JPG

wiz900%20%28148%29.JPG

wiz900%20%28149%29.JPG

wiz900%20%28122%29.JPG

wiz900%20%28193%29.JPG

Manufacturer Data (from their website)WIZ1
. 3 steady modes: tourer 150 lumens(15 hrs) - race 500 lumens (4:40 hrs) - sprint 900 lumens (3 hrs)

. 3 hidden flashes: day flash, night flash and warning flash

. 1 hidden 50 lumens mode

. Battery power indication: green led indicating 100%-20% power; red led 20% and below

. One USB cable is provided; customers can connect it to their smart phone chargers' adapters, or

connect it to computer to charge (charging by computer is much slower)

. Capacity of battery: 4500mAh

. Voltage: 2.8-4.2V (CR123A/RCR123A/16340 batteries are not compatible)

. Battery life-span: about 300 times cycle until the rated capacity drops to 70%

. Charging time: 5.5 hours (1A charging); 11 hours (500mA charging)

. Dimension: 119.5mm (length) x 35mm (head diameter) x 31mm (body diameter)

. Light weight: 105.2g

. Battery weight: 97g

. Handlebar mount weight: 54.2g

WIZ2
.3 steady modes: tourer 150 lumens (11 hrs) - race 500 lumens (3:40 hrs) - sprint 900 lumens (2 hrs)

.3 hidden flashes: day flash, night flash and warning flash

. 1 hidden 50 lumens mode

. Battery power indication: green led indicating 100%-20% power; red led indicating 20% and below

. One USB cable is provided; customers can connect it to their smart phone chargers' adapters, or

connect it to computer to charge (charging by computer is much slower)

. Capacity of battery: 4500mAh

. Voltage: 2.8-4.2V (CR123A/RCR123A/16340 batteries are not compatible)

. Battery life-span: about 300 times cycle until the rated capacity drops to 70%

. Charging time: 5-6 hours

. Dimension: 119.5mm (length) x 35mm (head diameter) x 24mm (body diameter)

. Light weight: 105.6g

. Battery weight: 45.8g

. Handlebar mount weight: 54.2g

Settings (from the manufacturer website)
Light
CLICK: quick press of the switch less than 1 second
DOUBLE CLICK: two rapid clicks of the switch
PRESS: 2 seconds press of the switch
LONG PRESS: 3+ seconds press of the switch
. A CLICK from the OFF position will always turn the light on to the last steady mode used.
. A CLICK from the ON position will cycle through the steady modes low, med, high.
. A DOUBLE CLICK from ON or OFF position will access the last flash mode used, a further single CLICK will allow you to cycle through the flashing modes day flash, night flash, warning flash.
. A further DOUBLE CLICK will return the light to what ever mode it was prior to activating the flash modes, this could be ON, OFF or THE HIDDEN 50
LUMENS MODE
. A PRESS from on or off, will access the 50 lumens hidden safety mode.
. A LONG PRESS will turn the light off (it will go through the 50 lumens hidden mode first). The light as a memory and will remember the last steady or flash
mode used.
. The 50 Lumen mode is also very useful during stops to let the light cool down while still having some illumination.

Safety
Back up/safety mode: when the battery power is less than 10%, the light will turn to 50 lumens as back up illumination for 30 minutes before turning off automatically.
WARNING: the backup/safety mode is only for emergency and we advise users to recharge the battery before this is activated. When the light turns to safety mode, the light can only be turned off or on by one click, and other modes can't be operated.

Charging (from the manufacturer website)
The battery is shipped approx 50% charged and it is advisable to fully charge it before use. The charging time will depend on the uncharged sate of the battery and the method of charging, this could take up to 11 hours with a 500mA charger and 5 hours with a 1A charger. Once the battery is charged, the light will turn to green, please disconnect the charger from the mains and from the battery. Do not leave the battery unattended while charging.
Please try to avoid totally draining out your battery and do not leave your battery flat for any length of time.

wiz900%20%28102%29.JPG

IMAG3541.jpg

Photo taken during on of my test ride using both WIZ in the 1 configuration, one has helmet light
other as bar light giving around 1800 lumens.

Riding with

Time to turn the light on. The operation of the switch is positive and easy to use with or without gloves. The interface is very intuitive with minimum clicks required to navigate it.
You have 3 continuous power outputs obtainable by a single click from off. They are well chosen and can be easily changed while cycling. In any of the modes, you can turn off the light by a single long press of the switch. A very useful feature is the access of a low/safe mode just before turn off. I have found this very useful when low light is only required. ie car park or side of a trail when chatting with your mates. The WIZ has a memory so whatever level you are on when you switch your light off, it will return to this setting when switching on.
You have 3 options for your flashing modes all accessible by a double click. The flash modes are well chosen with a double and a single flash at the right speed together with a pulse mode, which is a constant light with a bright pulse. The latter is very useful for road cycling where you want to see and be seen. A double click will return you to steady mode or a long press (about 3 seconds) will turn it off after going though the safe mode.
I must say this is one of the best interfaces I have used so far, easy to operate and to remember. One single long press to switch off from any of the modes with a very useable low mode prior to light off.
The beam is wide enough and has a good throw with a neutral tint which is a good choice for cycling as it does not create harsh shadows like the cool tint LEDs does.
The WIZE clamp is very easy to attach to your handle bar and the light can be removed or fitted single handed.

The only thing I notice while cycling with both of my samples, was a rattling coming from the quick release connection from the clamp to the light. The WISE clamp connects very firmly on my 35mm bar but is not very tight on my 25.4mm handle bar allowing the light to be moved by hand slightly from left to right. Wrapping some black electrician tape around your bar to make it thicker did improve the tightness of the clamp on my handlebar. (I understand that the clamp and mount have been improved now to eliminate the problems I have highlighted. During the output/run test, I notice that the sprint 900 lumens setting steps down after about 7 minutes to a level just above 70% of its original output. Once at that level the light is well regulated for the next two hours for the WIZ1 and about an hour for the WIZ2. The step down happens at the same time with both lights irrespective of what capacity batteries you are using. The step-down appear to be activated by a timer. If the battery has enough charge, you can switchback the WIZ to the higher 900L, Sprint level for another 7mn. In real life while cycling the difference of output is barely noticeable, and I was happy enough with the sprint stepdown. The charging was easy and in line with the time given using my HTC 1 amp mobile phone charger. Higher output tablet chargers (1.5Amps) can also be used.

Personal notes

By purchasing GoPro accessories from the net, I was able to fit the WIZ1 on my lid to see if this would make a good single XM-L helmet light. I did a MTB club ride with just two WIZs both in the WIZ1 configuration and I was surprised how well this set up works (for two single XM-L lights of course). I usually ride with a twin XM-L on my lid and quadruple one on my bar and despite the fact the two WIZ did produce a lot less lumens (about half), the beams were very well balanced with a very neutral tint and I felt that the light given was very user friendly and I did not miss that much the extra power. A plus factor was not being wired in when I removed my helmet (I always ride hot and my helmet do come off often during stops). Careful placement is required as not to unbalance your helmet toot much.
The WIZ 1 & 2 does the job well for a single XM-L light and allow you to go wireless. As a bar light, I have found one to be sufficient for road ridding but for mountain biking you do need to run them as a pair.

IMAG3512.jpg

IMAG3540.jpg

Home test

The ITUO WIZ lights were tested with my home made light sphere and a cooling fan was used between the readings (please note there will be a small margin of error for the readings as the light was removed and repositioned on the sphere for the various readings). As this is a home-made integration sphere, I cannot make any true claims as how close my result would be to results coming out of a lab integrating sphere costing thousand of pounds, but this does give a rough idea as how the light performed and enables you to monitor the output versus runtime.

The test/monitoring was started 2 mins after initial turn on and is in line with ANSI method of testing flashlights
wiz900rundata.jpg

wiz900graph.JPG

The graph shows that once the step down has happen in the "sprint mode", the WIZ1 is very well regulated for a couple of hours, the result is not as good with the 18650 battery only giving you about 45mn of full regulation.

Beam photos.
These were taken using the same setting as the MTBR reviews so you can make comparisons.
200ASA, 1.6S, F4

The object in the middle of the trail is my rucksack placed approx 25 yards away

wiz9001safeS.jpg

SAFE

wiz9002tourerS.jpg

TOURER

The object in the middle of the trail is my rucksack placed approx 25 yards away
wiz9003raceS.jpg

RACE
You can see in this photo the fence which is approx 50 yards away

wiz9004sprintS.jpg

SPRINT
The fence 50 yards away is a lot clearer so is the area around my ruck 25 yards away, all mesurements are approx

For: Good beam, USB rechargeable, replaceable battery, good run time for the WIZ1, good output for an internal single battery light, very good interface with a good choice of light levels, GoPro compatible mount, good safety feature, can be use for other activities and will tail stand to be use as a candle.

Against: step down too soon, no helmet mount provided or available from the manufacturer. (but easily obtainable from the net which is what I have done)

Like all single LED lights, the WIZ1&2 have their limitations but if you are looking for an easy to use wireless bike lights set up with replaceable batteries, this is well worth looking at.
I am certainly looking forward to seeing more products from ITUO.
The two lights have been sent to me direct from China by the manufacturer for review, so at the present time, I am not aware of local UK retailers. I also understand that the light retails at $99.95 for the WIZ1 and $89.95 for the WIZ2

Personal notes regarding buying lights.
I am a MTB ride leader with my local cycling club in the South of England and an independent - occasional LED lights reviewer. I also ride to work every day; sun, rain or snow. The lights I reviews, are not necessary my own choice of lights for my riding style, but I have tried and tested them in real cycling. Choice of lights are very personal and the type of ridding you do should influence the type of light you choose. Factors like; run time, light levels, type of flash modes, LED tint, size, bike attachment, way of recharging the battery, usability when off the bike can be as if not more important that the number of LEDs and number of advertised lumens. More is not always better!

Skyraider59

Moderator Edit: Two pics are oversized, even the one that was scaled down to 800x1423. Those have been changed to URL links

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ITUO WIZ1 & WIZ2 - 900 Lumens USB rechargeable wireless bicycle light, 26650 & 18

Note to people who wish to reply to the thread-- please do not quote the pics themselves. This is a pic-heavy post and further quotes of the pics will make the viewing experience less-than-enjoyable for others. Thanks!

Alaric

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Re: ITUO WIZ1 & WIZ2 - 900 Lumens USB rechargeable wireless bicycle light, 26650 & 18

Hi Alaric, sorry about the picture size, I have reduced all of them when I realised how big they were, can you advise what size are appropriate, for the review, I have down scaled them to 850pixel in width, but I can reduce them further. Best

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have down scaled them to 850pixel in width, but I can reduce them further.

The largest measure shouldn't exceed 800px-- when you signed up and read the CPF Rules, it was out in #3. Looks like that was quite a while ago for you (September 2009)!

Enjoy!

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Alaric, you are right, this was a long time ago, but will reduce photos to under 800 this evening after work. Thanks for pointing this out

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened

Smaller photos have been reloaded, so this should be ok now

Tricycle Assassin

Newly Enlightened

Ooh a 26650 bike light!!

This may be the one I have been waiting for.

Please tell me where can I purchase this beauty?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast

Liking that light, and thanks for the excellent review.

The one minor drawback I see to the light is that because it doubles as a flashlight, it doesn't have a shaped beam. It seems like "road" beams are harder to find in bike lights anymore, which is a shame. A flashlight doesn't make the best bike headlamp, nor does an excellent bike (low beam) headlamp make a good flashlight.

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened

Hi Alaric,

I know what you mean and the beam is not what I would classify as a "road beam", ie the type of beam given by car headlamp with specially designed reflectors or lens, but I guess, this all relate to cost with the research and production being to high for most flashlight manufacturers.

You often get asked if the beam will dazzle un-comming traffic and I think any bike light will unless it adjusted properly what ever the beam shape is.
I drive as well as cycle on the road and I think a lot of it is to do with common sense en courtesy towards other road users.
Here is the beam in the race/medium mode, this is adjusted for off road, ie longest reach and you can see that it does put a lot of light on the ground but with the funnel shape typical of that type of reflector and lens.
On the road I personally would have it a lot lower, ie pointing to the ground a lot more.
The lights modes are definitely designed with the cyclist in mind, specially when you look at the various flash modes and their safe mode, just before turning off, I like this feature a lot.

wiz9003raceS.jpg

Last edited:

Tricycle Assassin

Newly Enlightened

Skyraider -

How accurate is your integrating sphere?

$100 for a 500L light seems a bit pricey when I could get a Cateye Volt 700 for around the same price and have a known and reputable company standing behind their product.

I want to believe the manufacturer claim of 900L but that doesn't jibe with a 2 hour runtime on a single 18650 based on what I've read on most of the existing bike lights in the 700L range.

I was considering one of these lights but am now having second thoughts because I'm not sure I believe the 900L claims.

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Re: REVIEW ITUO WIZ1 & WIZ2 -900 Lumens USB recharge wireless bike light, 26650 & 186

Skyraider -

How accurate is your integrating sphere?

$100 for a 500L light seems a bit pricey when I could get a Cateye Volt 700 for around the same price and have a known and reputable company standing behind their product.

I want to believe the manufacturer claim of 900L but that doesn't jibe with a 2 hour runtime on a single 18650 based on what I've read on most of the existing bike lights in the 700L range.

I was considering one of these lights but am now having second thoughts because I'm not sure I believe the 900L claims.

I would like to clarify that my figures given are not in LUMENS BUT ARE IN LUX X100 and judging by the output and how bright the WIZ is I have no reason to doubt the manufacturer of its 900 lumens claim. Regarding the run time, you need to refer to my graph and my recordings.
Again the run time given by the manufacturer of 2 or 3 hours on the highest mode is the total overall battery run time once switch on that mode.
THIS IS THE WAY ALL LIGHT MANUFACTURERS GIVE THERE RUN TIME AND OUTPUT .

Now if you look to my tests in details, you will see that the light like does not stay at the max ouput during the whole 2 or 3 hours, but the overall run time checked exceed those given by the manufacturer.
In all the tests I have done on high-power flashlights or bike lights, I have found two different behaviour on high power lights with true lumens claims
A) High output not well regulated lights which within second start dropping in output, the light will fade away gradually.
B) high output well regulated which will stay to that level for 3 to 10mn then will step down gradually two another lower level. properly regulated until the next step down.

You also get a third type which are usually unbranded lights with unbelievable high output claims usually 3 time higher that the real output and with run time as false as the output given!

For the moment I am unable to confirm WIZ 1 output but do believe it to be true or very close to true.

But what I can do from my test is to give you a true picture of how the light will behave on a trail, ie how much light you are going to get for how long .
I can not help you with your choice between the WIZ and the VOLT700 but would like to highlight some point that you may not be aware off!
Please refer to the MTBR review on which I am sure you are making a comparison.
The out put was tested by them at 773 LUMENS which is GREAT, but when you look at the test in details , this was only carried out for 3mn!
Well in my book this is not much of a test, SPECIALLY if you know that some fully regulated light will have a step-down build into the program any time from 3mn to 10mn.
My question is how many lumens does the VOLT700 give after 3mn, 7mn (like the WIZ) or 30mn or 1 hour in your ride.

Unfortunately the MTBR review does not give those figures which to me are very important for riders. This why my test ARE conducted for a full battery cycle, with monitoring every 5mn, very time consuming for the reviewer!
From something said to me by another rider, a while back I suspect the volt700 has also got a step-down to give it a fair run time on a 18650 battery.

May be someone with a VOLT700 could let us know?

As mentioned, I can not verify the Lumens figures and my DIY integrating sphere/light box with my Chinese LUX meter can only be used as a comparison tool between various light to establish the runtime versus output.
Now if you refer to my table and graph you will see that the WIZ1 with the bigger 26650 4500mAh battery do give good result for a single internal battery light.
Assuming the ouput is 900lumens (I think it is due to the brightness of the beam)
after two hours on continuous full power you still have an ouput of 646lumens
and 3 hours after initial turn on, the light is still pushing 407 lumens.
This is enough to impress me, and bearing in mind that on the trail you would probably cycle between low, medium and high and the step down is after 7mn from turn on you do get plenty of workable high power light for a fair time.
Regarding the WIZ1 and 2, I personally think the WIZ1 with the 26650 battery is a better choice if you can put up with a little more weight and a slight increase in size as you gain a lot of run time.

Yes you are right about the ITUO, this is an unknown brand, but I have tested their pre production 800L back in January and they have improved it a lot from the feedback given, to the 900 lumen light reviewed.
I have also been keeping an eye on their website ituoworld.com and told them that I would be please to do another review in due course for one of their other model listed as they do look promising!
Of course we will have to wait and see as they don't appear to be for sale yet!

I understand from Cat Man Do a well established MTBR reviewer that he has also been send a production WIZ1 for review, so I would think his review is eminent! This will be interesting to see if he can confirm the lumens output. To help you out, here is two photos, taken with the same camera with the same setting in the same place showing the beam of the WIZ1 900 Lumens and the GLOWORM X2 1500L (tested by MTBR to be 1391L) It is not a like for like comparison as one is a single XM-L and the other a twin XM-L, both have different pattern. shape beam no doubt for me the Gloworm X2 is a superior light but it cost 2.5 time more so there is no comparison!.
TEST1.jpg

TEST1GWM.jpg

TEST1GWH.jpg

Tricycle Assassin

Newly Enlightened
Re: REVIEW ITUO WIZ1 & WIZ2 -900 Lumens USB recharge wireless bike light, 26650 & 186

Sky -

Thanks for the response. I did need to re-read your review. Makes more sense now. I really do like the idea of a 26650 light and this looks like the only one on the market suitable for cycling.

One more question and it wasn't entirely obvious from your analysis - Once the sprint mode steps down is the light at race mode or still somewhat brighter. In your beamshots I'm not clear as to whether the sprint mode is pre- or post-step down.

I'm debating between the WIZ1 and it's monster battery and a custom build from Mountain Electronics which would be an XPL x 3, single 18650. Pretty obvious I'd be playing with greater brightness and less runtime (~1.5H on high (2,200 mA) but lighter weight. Think I'll go check the reviews of that light again especially the measured Lux.

Just for giggles, what other lights in the 700 lumen class have you reviewed? I'm trying to get my bearings a bit.

I was about the pull the trigger on either the Cateye Volt 700 or the L&M Urban 800 or similar, but the non-replaceable or strictly proprietary battery set up irritates me when there are plenty of lights available where I can just drop in a replacement cell when the one in use expires or I want extended runtime like if I was riding longer than 4-5 hours.

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened

Sky -

Thanks for the response. I did need to re-read your review. Makes more sense now. I really do like the idea of a 26650 light and this looks like the only one on the market suitable for cycling.

One more question and it wasn't entirely obvious from your analysis - Once the sprint mode steps down is the light at race mode or still somewhat brighter. In your beamshots I'm not clear as to whether the sprint mode is pre- or post-step down.

I'm debating between the WIZ1 and it's monster battery and a custom build from Mountain Electronics which would be an XPL x 3, single 18650. Pretty obvious I'd be playing with greater brightness and less runtime (~1.5H on high (2,200 mA) but lighter weight. Think I'll go check the reviews of that light again especially the measured Lux.

Just for giggles, what other lights in the 700 lumen class have you reviewed? I'm trying to get my bearings a bit.

I was about the pull the trigger on either the Cateye Volt 700 or the L&M Urban 800 or similar, but the non-replaceable or strictly proprietary battery set up irritates me when there are plenty of lights available where I can just drop in a replacement cell when the one in use expires or I want extended runtime like if I was riding longer than 4-5 hours.

TEST1.jpg

This is the sprint mode BEFORE step down, this was taken with a fully charged battery and after 2mns approx. The step down from the sprint mode (max) is higher than their race mode (medium), during the tests I did make a note of the lux reading at the 3 different modes, this why I know the step down is higher, but I think I forgot to mention the readings on my review, will have to look for them over the weekend or or test them again.

I did cycle for a few years with Solarforce L2 flashlights with various drop in and a Jetbeam Cycler, what I liked was the lightness, the absence of wire connecting you to a battery once fitted on your helmet and being able to replace the battery in mid ride. What did draw me away from them (FOR MTB) was the decreasing run time due to the increase of lumens as all these lights were powered by 18650 and I went to lights with external batteries.
Since those days, I have been ridding mainly with twin XM-L with external battery pack in our forest.

Commuting to work, I have always used single led LIGHTS with internal batteries a lot more user friendly.

Now trying the WIZ1 took me back to the ease of having a light with an internal battery but this time with a descent output and good run time due to the 26550 battery with the bonus of a USB charging facility without me having to remove the battery or having a special charger.
It is a little heavy on your helmet but is still similar to the weight you would have with a light and an external battery fitted to your lid, it is noticeable but not really a problem.

Regarding lights reviewed with internal batteries and suitable for ridding , I have reviewed a couple of Jetbeam flashlights which are now outdated and I have also reviewed the Fenix BC30, twin xml, twin18650. So nothing really in direct competition with the WIZ1.

The output that you would get for 2 hours (71%) would be a little more than the race mode which is below
wiz9003raceS.jpg

What ever light you get, are you planning to use it as a bar light or as a helmet light?

Would it be part of a combo with an other light or used on its own?

What ever light you are thinking of buying, try to find out what the discharge line is like. As mentionned in my last posting you often do not get what is advertised for very long, the lumens data given is the one on turn on. You very rarely can have high ouput with long run time.

Tricycle Assassin

Newly Enlightened

Here's what I am considering -

I ride exclusively on the road, so I don't need MTB level runtimes. Current rig is a DiNotte 3XML on my helmet and a design shine 500 taillight. Lots and lots of output (more than I'll ever need for on the road), however not a fan of the whole external battery set up as it can get heavy. Running both lights off a single battery, there seems to be some "crosstalk" when they flash due to (I assume) voltage sag on the line. While both would work just fine with separate external packs, that adds even more weight. So I am looking for options that better work for me.

Since I ride a recumbent trike, I need daytime visibility since I'm pretty low to the road. My typical Sunday ride is ~45 minutes in dark to semi-dark conditions (typically leave the house 40-50 minutes before sunrise) which dictates night time setting on the lights. Once I get to my group ride there's another ~90-120 minutes of ride time (30-40 mile ride) in daytime paceline conditions so I don't need super-maximum output and I don't want to fry any eyeballs. Then I have a 45 minute ride back home solo during daytime conditions where absolute "hey look at me" mode is required.

Helmet light, 3x xpl (carclo optics) driven at 2.2A (max) in a Convoy host (single 18650) - pretty similar to a lot of the 18650 bike lights out there, but with more efficiency (better runtime) and higher output. I realize that the current state of the art is ~1.5 hours at ~700-800L output, but that's with a single XML2.

I am looking for something similar for a taillight except with XPG red LEDs which do OK at 2.2 mA, but will probably run lower than that and only use the 2.2 mA for flashing mode.

Any feedback on the above would be greatly appreciated. The custom option is very attractive also b/c the cost is less than the WIZ1. I don't need a USB charger since I have a decent LiIon charger at home that can do 4 cells at a time and will fit whatever size I may need. While I'd really like a 26650 host, most of what I've seen have been too big and heavy for a helmet light (typically mega throwers)

Make sense?

Also, in a straight up runtime and lumens war between the WIZ1 and a Fenix BC30 - who would win. Weight seems similar and Fenix appears to have the edge in runtime and brightness. Since you've reviewed both, would appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited:

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened

Going from a 3x XM-L to a single XM-L is a big step backwards on the lumens front, but as you said (I agree), you do not need as much output on the road.

BC30 versus WIZ1
If you are looking at mounting your light on your helmet, I would say the BC30 is out due to its mounting clamp, only a bar type clamp is supplied. Their attachment system is very specific to the light which in my mind can not be modified to fit an helmet also the beam is more floody and less far reaching that the WIZ. In your case the BC30 would be fine fitted on the front of you trike but would not be very good as an helmet light even if you could make your own fitting. Due to your seating position, you would not benefit as much of their special purpose lens which redirect the upper section of the beam downwards on the floor in front of your wheel.
The BC30 beam is listed as a neutral by Fenix but has a much warmer tint that the WIZ neutral.

Regarding run time, they both have pretty similar run times, the BC30 got a higher output for the first 100mn then both lights have the same output for the next 20mn and then the WIZ take the lead keeping the same ouput for a further 25mn.

So again not a lot in it, brighter start for the BC30 but longer run time for the WIZ1! (ON HIGH SETTING)
wiz900rundata.jpg

FENIX BC30 RUNTIME
http://www.rolling-thunder.org.uk/review/bc30F1/time.jpg

Flash modes on the WIZ are far superior to the Fenix which has only one, The WIZ has that twin flash which I do find great for day riding, this does attract people attention a lot more than the single flash.
But the BC30 has a remote activated 1800L, good on road if you want to attract attention!

So if you can fix the light at the front of your trike both could do but as an helmet light, only the WIZ1.

As you mentioned a height disadvantage, the WIZ GoPro attachment system give you a few choices how to raise the light from your helmet, regarding the rear light may be using a small flash light with a red lens attached to the body of the WIZ by a rubber block, again adding height.

The WIZ does not come with an helmet mount, but you can pick a GoPro mount from china for just a few $.

WIZ1, 26550 battery and GoPro helmet mount total 247gr
I have enclosed photos of runtime and of light with a small flash light piggy back on to it.
wiztrike1.jpg

wiztrike2.jpg

Beam shot bellow have been taken on a fresh battery around 2mn after trurn on

Bc30 beam on high
bc30high.JPG

TEST1.jpg

BC30 in burst mode

bc30burst.JPG

In the burst mode, you can see how much light the special BC30 lens reflect on the ground in front of your wheel, in all test the light is placed horizontal.

ps( I find the USB charging very user friendly).

Hope this help a little.

Moderator note
Please stop posting oversized pictures. The thread is already extremely pic heavy and the oversize pics are a Rule #3 violation -- the second time this month
Thanks,

Alaric D

Last edited by a moderator: