RofisLight        
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights. The HIVE- TEMPORARY HOLD **

There is no issue here in my very humble opinion. These are custom flashlights and this is a huge upgrade to your line-up.

I want one of these engines with all the programmability available to me as the user. I love the idea, and have been hoping for this since the arrival of those big twisty lights last wave.

Users should post issues here in the forum where forum members can also help sort out programming issues. It would be crazy in my mind not to offer the option for full control over this amazing firmware.

obi
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights. The HIVE- TEMPORARY HOLD **

Quote Originally Posted by RedLed View Post
    ..... I love the fact he designed, made the light, packed it up and shipped it... Also, I always liked Don's business model ... our beloved maker of our favorite flashlights ...

And, if you have not bought a light from the man himself, if you don't own a McGizmo, he should be addressed as Mr. McLeish.

... There are other wonderful custom flashlight makers out there but, not any others that operate quite like Don McGizmo does. He is one of a kind no doubt. He has made, and is a huge part of modern LED flashlight history.
    Don, just kidding about the Mr. Thing....although you do deserve it.

RedLed,

I like to think of him as: "Don Don McGizmo" - the first "Don" as the honorific, the second Don as his name, then McGizmo! as his "Maker Of Lights" identity ...

(Otherwise, Sir Don seems quite appropriate ...)
    "...[they] Carry Torches And Pass Them One To Another" Socrates ~360 BCE

mckeand13's Brilliant Idea: CPF Members Map - Please Add Yourself?

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by lightlover View Post
    RedLed,

I like to think of him as: "Don Don McGizmo" - the first "Don" as the honorific, the second Don as his name, then McGizmo! as his "Maker Of Lights" identity ...

(Otherwise, Sir Don seems quite appropriate ...)
    Agreed, can you arrange a KBE, to make the Sir Don official? That would really be something!

Don, if you read this we are trying to have you made a Knight of the British Empire. With the Queen and the sword, and all that. Plus a beautiful certificate. The HIVE can wait!

Actually, I and family were friends with the late Excellency the Hon. Walter Annenberg, US Ambassador to The Court of St. James, (That is the United Kingdom), in the Nixon admisrtation years.

The Ambassador was a KBE and I unframed his certificate to scan it as the room it was in was getting too much light, and he wanted a copy. But, just to hold That document was amazing, and my dad was from London so I am a first generation American. He would loved knowing I took apart a KBE to work on it!

Sorry this drifted OT, but, we think you are cool, Man! and you surf too!
    Last edited by RedLed; 11-21-2015 at 06:08 PM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Thank you all for the encouragement, especially F89 and Obijuan Kenobe.
    After some extended optimization and checking, drivers with changed firmware will be headed to Don very soon. So those of you that had to wait to get a Hive driver will hopefully be served soon.

As it has been said in earlier posts, the trouble with some of the drivers not coming on on the lowest output level had to do with the amount of output boost that the driver applies. The new parameters have been adequate in all my tests. On the other hand this means that on the lowest brightness level that you can select via the drivers' setup mode (brightness level 1 of 21), there will be a bit of a preflash. Its still not pronounced but can be detected if you pay attention. On the brightness level 3 (a.k.a. LL in the stock configuration) there is no detectable preflash in my opinion.

Its great to hear that some of you would rather have the programmability enabled by default. But i think Don's approach is the best possible compromise to accommodate both you and the users that are happy with the stock configuration. With the new contact board it has become easier to close the Setup jumper with solder, alternatively a pencil also works well.
    As Obijuan has said the forum is the place to get help with programming and all other questions, either you or I myself will get all questions or problems covered!

Thanks for the update, @rush .... Looking forward to adding programmability to my extensive Aleph/McGizmo modular system
    ... is the archimedes peak

don or rush: is it possible to adapt the Hive driver to 6v lights with, say, a Zener diode mod? I think Zener diode is the part at least
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    don or rush: is it possible to adapt the Hive driver to 6v lights with, say, a Zener diode mod? I think Zener diode is the part at least
    That's right...no hurry, when it is ready it is ready, and I will buy mine then. Good call Tobrien.

Tobrien,

I can't say for sure how well this would work or if it would at all. You are right about a Zener diode at the input being able to limit the voltage to a safe level. The excess voltage would be dissipated as heat, thus it is a rather inefficient solution at best. So I cannot recommend doing this unless you are adventurous enough.

BTW: Don should receive the drivers with the updated firmware soon.

Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights. The HIVE

Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Tobrien,

BTW: Don should receive the drivers with the updated firmware soon.
    And as fortune would have it, they arrived today. So we are back in business with the HIVE option.
    Last edited by McGizmo; 12-03-2015 at 02:20 PM. Reason: fix subject line
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Great news!

Very nice addition Don. Thanks for the time, effort & expense you invested in the HV converter.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at www:Precision.Works

Great news indeed that the drivers have arrived and more lights with them will be going out.
    I'm looking forward to hear some more stories and of course questions are always welcome

Great news!

Great news indeed that the drivers have arrived and more lights with them will be going out.
    I'm looking forward to hear some more stories and of course questions are always welcome
    Thanks @rush , I have the XP-G2 version in an Aleph1 now, and it has updated this classic flashlight very nicely ...

Just finished tweaking all of the settings, too

is there a "hive programming for dummies"? i cant make heads or tails of the instructions... maybe the fourth time reading through it will do it...

trying to bump the max from 1000 to the 1200.

Quote Originally Posted by Tejasandre View Post
    is there a "hive programming for dummies"? i cant make heads or tails of the instructions... maybe the fourth time reading through it will do it...

trying to bump the max from 1000 to the 1200.
    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    .... it seems really difficult ... until it doesn't

For me, the "picture" was much easier to understand than the words.
    I'm happy to try to talk you through it, but for me, the words were confusing but the picture was the key.

Try having the flowchart and the picture of the output "segments" right in front of you, while programming.

Try to imagine what the output will be doing through each program step or cycle.

How far can you get, and where are you getting stumped ?

One thing that is very helpful is that, although the programming process can be a bit long or tedious, there is absolutely no rush. If you're not sure where you are or what to do, just let it finish that cycle without doing anything. When you next click it back through, it will repeat that same cycle, flashing out the step number and value, before the window to make a change.
    Last edited by archimedes; 12-11-2015 at 09:48 PM.

Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights. T

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    I'm happy to try to talk you through it, but for me, the words were confusing but the picture was the key.

Try having the flowchart and the picture of the output "segments" right in front of you, while programming.

Try to imagine what the output will be doing through each program step or cycle.

How far can you get, and where are you getting stumped ?

One thing that is very helpful is that, although the programming process can be a bit long or tedious, there is absolutely no rush. If you're not sure where you are or what to do, just let it finish that cycle without doing anything. When you next click it back through, it will repeat that same cycle, flashing out the step number and value, before the window to make a change.
    Haven't quite figured out where to start. Read one guy just changed the max setting & that changed it across the board. Something about mode 16 or something. Shrug.

I'll look at it again this weekend. I think I figured out a vnx2 today. Lol

Tejasandre,
    Grasping the setup mode completely usually takes a while as Archimedes has said. The visual representation of the signal pattern that can be found in the manual probably helps most to learn how the blinks are structured and what to look for.

For changing the max output to 1200 mA, you will have to alter setting #16. To do so you have to skip settings #1 to #4 and then modify the setting #5 to enter the so called "level 2" settings. Then you can skip to setting #16 and make the changes.

The maximum output current applies to all output levels, i. e. the lower output levels will be a little higher too.

Tejasandre,
    Grasping the setup mode completely usually takes a while as Archimedes has said. The visual representation of the signal pattern that can be found in the manual probably helps most to learn how the blinks are structured and what to look for.

For changing the max output to 1200 mA, you will have to alter setting #16. To do so you have to skip settings #1 to #4 and then modify the setting #5 to enter the so called "level 2" settings. Then you can skip to setting #16 and make the changes.

The maximum output current applies to all output levels, i. e. the lower output levels will be a little higher too.
    Thanks for replying. I think I grasped the concept on my 6th read on Sunday. I tried pencil led to close the gap, need to add more , or breakdown & put a drop of soldering. I'll follow up post after my next attempt.

Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

I have a question for @rush about this new driver ....

When should ( and when must ) the calibration be run ?

( 1 ) changing individual level outputs away from default ?

( 2 ) changing max output away from default ?

and/or

( 3 ) swapping out or modding the LED emitter ?

What is the risk of damage to the driver and/or emitter, if calibration is not done, or not done properly ?

Thanks in advance for explaining this in more detail.

Hi Archimedes,

Good questions.
    The calibration sets the zero point of the output and the maximum current defined in the respective setting. All level outputs scale to that maximum output.
    Hence in case 1 there is no need to calibrate.
    Case 2 will therefore need recalibration and the driver automatically does so when you change the maximum output setting after leaving the setup mode.
    A LED change does not require a recalibration in most every case, at least as long as you stay in the realm of white LEDs that have comparable forward voltages. If the LED forward voltage was completely different then the calibration might need a bit of a tweak to be spot on and it would make sense to do so.
    You cannot damage the driver by not recalibrating. If the swapped LED would not be able to deal with the original high current then of course it could be damaged but otherwise neither.

I hope this answers your questions

Yes, thank you.

Another few questions, to follow on from there .... If in Case 2 the driver automatically recalibrates, what is the purpose of the "Run Calibration" setting (Step 17) ?

Is it only to force a recalibration, when the Maximum Current (Step 16) has NOT been changed ?

In other words, if Step 16 is changed, but Step 17 is "No" , does it still recalibrate ? And conversely, if Step 16 is unchanged but Step 17 is "Yes" , does it recalibrate anyway ?

And finally, what if Presets #1 / #2 / #3 are all set to different max outputs ? Does it need to recalibrate every time you change presets ? If so, will it do so automatically, or does one need to force it to do so manually ?

Hi Archimedes,

If the maximum current (setting 16) is changed, the driver automatically sets setting 17 to "Yes" to make it recalibrate after leaving the setup. This means you could purposely change setting 17 back to No after changing the maximum output and the driver would not recalibrate, which would not make any changes to the calibration and thus the setting 16 and the calibration being out of sync.

You can change setting 17 only and make the driver recalibrate but i am not aware at the moment of this really being necessary at any point.

It is not possible to have different maximum outputs for the presets, i. e. setting 16 is not saved in the presets. They all are based on one setting value and scale to that value when you change it.

Thanks @rush .... I think I am understanding this driver better, with your detailed explanations here.

Thank you, also, for including both "capped" and "rotating" output modes in this version.

When switching from primaries to rechargeable, would I need to change programs?

Ironhorse,
    While you do not have to make any changes to the configuration for the light to work, you might want to alter the battery chemistry setting (setting #4) to Li-Ion rechargeable. That way the driver will give you a visual indication for a low battery before the protection circuit in the battery would shut off everything all of a sudden.

So far I am loving this driver, very handy even with the default settings, nice work RUSH. Works well in my Haiku with the 119V.

I have tested it with a Primary and RCR123 so far with default settings and everything works as expected. With the primary thermal protection worked perfectly indicating with a quick blink and the double blink voltage indication worked as well.
    I tested a RCR123 on high out of curiosity, and at room temperature with an Olight 650mAh cell total runtime was approximately 38.5 minutes with the driver reducing the output, then stepping back up a couple times to manage the temperature. As expected towards the end of the runtime, since the voltage reduction threshold is set for primaries, there was no blinking, however the driver dropped down to low. After stepping the output back up manually for maybe another 30 seconds the voltage dropped enough for the cell's discharge circuit to kick in and the light would no longer light. Not too bad considering the abysmal capacity of RCR123's, with LL through Med it makes RCR123's look plausible for scenarios where cells are switched out regularly.

Can changes be made to preset 1, or is it always factory default?

I would like to change setting 4 to rechargeable and keep all other settings the same for the time being.

Ideally I would have one preset for primaries and one for rechargeable with all other settings in those two presets at the default settings.
    Last edited by ironhorse; 01-30-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Thank you Thetasigma for your thoughts and great that you are enjoying the Hive driver!
    The low level output reduction of course cannot work when being set to primaries and using rechargeable Li-Ion (RCR). But as you noticed, if the input voltage drops below the minimum requirement of the driver (happening sooner under high currents) the result is the same as cycling power with the switch. You basically have to decide which battery chemistry you use more often.

This leads me to your question Ironhorse:
    It is perfectly possible to have to presets that just differ in the battery chemistry setting. All 3 presets can be changed freely. Preset 1 is called factory default because this is what will be used without any programming changes, but it is also customizable.

I tried programming and now I have some settings messed up. I want to go back to factory defaults and start over. I got level 18 (reset to defaults) changed to yes (2 blinks), but for some reason it is not resetting.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

I am also having trouble exiting programming. (Level 6)
    Last edited by ironhorse; 02-14-2016 at 08:38 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast