Olight - S1R        
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

Hi Kaichu dento,

For a future revision of the driver firmware i can add an auto turn-off as an option at least.
    Basically you would like the light to shut off after a certain set runtime after power on? Possibly a visual signal ahead should warn the user that the light is about to shut off.

Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Hi Kaichu dento,

For a future revision of the driver firmware i can add an auto turn-off as an option at least.
    Basically you would like the light to shut off after a certain set runtime after power on? Possibly a visual signal ahead should warn the user that the light is about to shut off.
    That would be great, especially if it could start doing a step down in brightness after a chosen length of time rather than just turning off so that you could just do a soft click to keep it on if you're hiking or working on the car and need it to stay on.

I'd order one today if that functionality was there.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Of course the driver could step down the output instead of some kind of quick blip of brightness to alert you. However since you mention a "soft click" - since the McGizmo clickies are mechanical switches you will have to turn off the light briefly to return the light to full brightness, right?

It sure would be great if you could order one in the future ;-)

Of course the driver could step down the output instead of some kind of quick blip of brightness to alert you. However since you mention a "soft click" - since the McGizmo clickies are mechanical switches you will have to turn off the light briefly to return the light to full brightness, right?

It sure would be great if you could order one in the future ;-)
    I wasn't thinking about the lack of soft click capability but would still order a Hive engine if there was battery protection, preferably with a step down that the user to custom set.

People that don't have a problem with accidentally turning on their lights and need long periods of on time could leave it disabled while others like me could set it to start stepping down brightness at a user selected period starting at 5 minutes and maybe up to 30 minutes. Personally I'd have it set for 10 minutes.

I think step down of one brightness level every 30 seconds would you to keep on doing what you were doing without having to rush to click the light back on if you had grease on your hands underneath the car, but also give indication that the light would be out soon. This too would ideally be user selected to range anywhere from a total of 1 minute to shutdown all the way up to 10 minutes to shutdown.

Would this be difficult to achieve, because if not, I think it would be greatly beneficial for users like myself and I think the fact that it has long been available on other lights (at least HDS) suggests I'm not alone.

Thanks for your openness and I look forward to seeing what you can come up with.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

The way you are describing the functionality would make most sense indeed, giving you enough time to react to the step down before the light would go off.
    Obviously it has to be a user setting that is disabled by default since i believe the majority prefers not to have any automatic runtime limitations (but who knows, maybe i am wrong on that .

Picturing the necessary routines roughly i don't see any big difficulties implementing such a feature. There have been a couple suggestions for additional features since the introduction of the HiveLD. I think once i am ready to add features for a future software revision i'll ask for the opinion of you all.

The way you are describing the functionality would make most sense indeed, giving you enough time to react to the step down before the light would go off.
    Obviously it has to be a user setting that is disabled by default since i believe the majority prefers not to have any automatic runtime limitations (but who knows, maybe i am wrong on that .

Picturing the necessary routines roughly i don't see any big difficulties implementing such a feature. There have been a couple suggestions for additional features since the introduction of the HiveLD. I think once i am ready to add features for a future software revision i'll ask for the opinion of you all.
    Thanks for being so good at listening to us and I'm really looking forward to upgrading my Haiku. I just went to use it last night and had a dead battery again. Maybe I need a safety cap!

If you start a separate thread for figuring out what changes to make in the HIVE please put a link in this thread so none of us miss it. Thanks!

Is there a way to configure the HIVE as single mode? Oops, wrong driver thread. Apologies.
    Last edited by non; 07-21-2016 at 07:57 AM. Reason: wrong thread

I converted my Haiku to a dual mode light with no memory. Starts on Low at level 10 and High is set at level 20. I tried to like the 4 mode and 3 mode setups, but 2 modes is the sweet spot for me.

Kentucky, on a hill overlooking the Ohio River... literally

I'm trying my best to figure out the HiveLD-S, but after reading the manual multiple times I've been unable to even achieve "setup mode". I've never been the smartest guy in the room (even when I'm alone) so I'll be needing some assistance.

I'm using an IMR 16340 3.7V cell in my McGizmo E-Series 1x123 flashlight.

My first and main goal after accessing "setup mode" is to achieve the maximum brightness (current) level (21?). However, after reading the manual and previous posts, I believe I'm correct in my understanding that the highest level of 1200 mA is possible only with an 18650 cell in the extended body (which I do not have).

So, before I go any further, I need to know one thing: Does the standard (default) setup in my new Haiku w/HIVE driver already reach the highest possible output level this light is capable of when set on high... or can I achieve a greater brightness output level by accessing additional levels? If the answers are no and yes then I haven't wasted mine or anyone else's time here. If the answers are yes and no then

I know zero about soldering, so I purchased a graphite pencil. I followed the instructions and filled in the gap to close the jumper on the contact board (although I can not say whether that action has been achieved). I've then tried multiple times to access setup mode by following the sequence of 2x toggle long - 4x toggle short - 2x toggle long but with no success. When I turn on the light, following the required sequence of toggles, nothing happens. After repeated failures I decided to make this post in hopes that Rush, or possibly someone else who is also adept in this area, might offer some assistance.

Rush, if this all feels like more of an undertaking than you are comfortable with, I fully understand. Admittedly this may all be more information/instruction than a simple brain such as mine is capable of absorbing.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

p.s. Rush (or whomever this may concern) you are more than welcome to contact me via my email address at your convenience, if you so choose (it might actually be a better option than attempting to teach a kindergarten class here in this thread). :-) sd_wimmer@bellsouth.net

My cell# is 270-922-8804... calls and/or texts are also welcomed.

If you are convinced that you are doing the programming sequence correctly, the jumper may not be completely closed, since solder is much more reliable than graphite.

I think the default max current is 1000mA, but programming can increase that to 1200mA (on Li-Ion)
    ... is the archimedes peak

Default New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

As it comes stock, the HIVE Haiku can be cranked up another 200ma from 1000mA to 1200ma. The high is already set to level 21, but raising the max current to to 1200ma will increase the drive current across all 21 brightness levels.
    The main advice I can give is to count the short/long toggles based on OFF time (finger off the switch) not ON time. Although, I'd love to assist further, I doubt I am articulate enough to teach in a way that won't confuse you more.

Edit: It certainly looks like you have enough graphite to close the lead and enable programming. I also used a pencil instead of solder.
    Last edited by Slumber Pass; 10-10-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Are you counting "one-one-thousand" for the "long" toggles ?

Is the output the same, or cycling, for the "long" toggles ?

I am not totally convinced that jumper is closed, based on your photo ...

Thanks guys... still trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    As it comes stock, the HIVE Haiku can be cranked up another 200ma from 1000mA to 1200ma. The high is already set to level 21, but raising the max current to to 1200ma will increase the drive current across all 21 brightness levels.
    The main advice I can give is to count the short/long toggles based on OFF time (finger off the switch) not ON time. Although, I'd love to assist further, I doubt I am articulate enough to teach in a way that won't confuse you more.

Edit: It certainly looks like you have enough graphite to close the lead and enable programming. I also used a pencil instead of solder.
    I put more graphite on the gap... it seems to be covered thoroughly I believe. And I'm mimicking your movements in exact time, over and over again, while watching the video you emailed me (thanks again for that) but yours blinks at the end and mine does not.

If by chance I do happen to access setup mode, how exactly would I go about raising the max current to 1200ma? 16 clicks maybe?? I may only accidentally get it right once so I gotta make the most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Are you counting "one-one-thousand" for the "long" toggles ? Yes

Is the output the same, or cycling, for the "long" toggles ? Same

I am not totally convinced that jumper is closed, based on your photo ... I've covered it 2-3 more times since that pic, but when I look through a magnifying glass it sort of appears that the graphite might not be adhering to the area between the rectangles... but clearly IS adhering to the rectangles themselves. I've tried pressing more firmly with the pencil, then continued trying the sequence over and again, but still... nothing.
    I'm calling it quits for tonight. Maybe try again tomorrow night if I can muster enough energy for the good fight!

It just needed more graphite. Once I closed the gap I was able to access setup mode instantly. Now if I can just figure exactly when to toggle to achieve 1200ma. :-)

Never going to happen.

Well I'm not nearly there yet, but thanks to the help of Slumber Pass I am making some progress. This gentleman is a true credit to CPF and flashaholics everywhere. Gil, it's incredible how you've jumped in to help a stranger who is clearly a novice in this area. Even if at some point I reach a hurdle which I'm unable to clear, I can never thank you enough for the time and effort you've already given. :-)

No worries....glad to help. I only hope I can help you cross that finish line.

NEWS FLASH... I've achieved setting 5, value of 2. OMG

No worries....glad to help. I only hope I can help you cross that finish line.
    Oh we've got this bro! You are so good, by the end of this ordeal I'll be teaching a course in..... what's this stuff called?

Slumber Pass did it... he accomplished the impossible. Gil I imagine this was an experience you'd just assume not repeat anytime soon. :-) Thanks buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by wimmer21 View Post
    Slumber Pass did it... he accomplished the impossible. Gil I imagine this was an experience you'd just assume not repeat anytime soon. :-) Thanks buddy!
    No problem....it was an accomplishment for us both. However, I'll let you get the next one...lol.

Hahahaha yeah I got the next one! But in all seriousness... yes I'm a little thickheaded at first and often prone to drama, but once something clicks I have it locked down.

So yeah anyone with any questions regarding the HiveLD-S just ask away or shoot me a pm. LMAO

Thats true CPF spirit here, awesome that you have been figuring it out with the help of one great gentleman
    A video of the programming process is certainly much more helpful than the written instructions. I was eventually going to make one myself.
    But if you have made a video that you feel like publishing, i would be more than happy to host it.

I'm glad you got your light programmed in the way you wanted Steve, anything else please ask!

I will comment that I love this driver (in both a Haiku and Aqua). The programming is a bit tricky (as others have noted), but the results are great. Can get it set up as you wish. In that spirit of having choices, I think having a few blinky modes wouldn't be a bad thing. Easy for people to not pick them if that is their choice.

eala

Thats true CPF spirit here, awesome that you have been figuring it out with the help of one great gentleman
    A video of the programming process is certainly much more helpful than the written instructions. I was eventually going to make one myself.
    But if you have made a video that you feel like publishing, i would be more than happy to host it.

I'm glad you got your light programmed in the way you wanted Steve, anything else please ask!
    Thanks Rush. Last night was hard on my brain, but it was interesting and actually pretty fun learning all the procedures. Very impressive driver you've developed. :-)

Default New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

I'm hoping a HIVE will be available at some point that can handle 6V. Id like a 6V Haiku for use with primaries, but need to be able to program it as a two mode light.

I'm hoping a HIVE will be available at some point that can handle 6V. Id like a 6V Haiku for use with primaries, but need to be able to program it as a two mode light.
    Agree ....

I am thinking of getting one of these, but would want to run on Primaries. ( for battery life).
    It sounds like I would have to program it so it would run properly.

Just wondering if any others are using primary batteries and how are your results?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
    I am thinking of getting one of these, but would want to run on Primaries. ( for battery life).
    It sounds like I would have to program it so it would run properly.

Just wondering if any others are using primary batteries and how are your results?
    Thanks
    In stock form, it will run nicely on a primary CR123. No programming would be necessary.

Love the HiVE! I did some minor programming (changing the battery type to "optimal LI-ion") and pointed how well thought out the menu structure and UI was. I wonder, would the firmware be updatable if new versions become released? If so, are there any pins exposed on the board to be able to use JTAG or a 3-pin FTDI serial?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast