ARE YOU SATISFIED?!

Doug

Enlightened
I have seen the 18 LED Mag retrofit made by one of the forum members http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000066.html
know as "The Edwood Sunblaster", but I only have a lowly Expedition. What I am wondering, are all you guys (gals?) satisfied with the brightness/throw/color of your white LED flashlights? I have purchased the Turtlelite 1 and 2, Infinity and the Photon 2, and the only two I really like so far are the Expedition, and the Photon. I plan on sending back the Turtle Lights, and Infinities. Maybe I would be satisfied with the Edwood light? Actually, I probably would, if it had 18 (more?!) of the white LEDs that the Photon II uses! Amazing how far this TINY little thing throws light! Everyone who sees it wants to know more about it!

Now the problem is, if I buy a M6, I'll be hurtin' for light from anything less
smile.gif
... two bad the M6 does not have 12 hours of battery time, HECK, 4 would be good!

Thoughts?

Doug

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Doug on 01-10-2001 at 03:23 AM</font>

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would probably be cheaper and easier to buy a M6. Also you seem certain you would be happy with it. General, as you know, LED`s are not known for throwing their beams long distances effectively. But if your handy, you might have more enjoyment from building a Sunblaster. I was hoping EdWood or one of our other skilled members would offer to build, sell them (at a profit of course), but maybe no one is looking for a new career
smile.gif

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by KenB on 01-07-2001 at 09:36 AM</font>

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sending back your TurtleLites...heaven forbid!

I love my TurtleLiteII. Definitely no pocket flashlight, but I can't think of a light I'd rather have in a blackout or on a night hike. But hey, if it's not what you like then you gotta do what's best for you.

IMHO the reason many people aren't happy with LEDs is because they are used to conventions flashlights with that bright center spot to pierce the darkness. Unfortunately this highly focused light isn't practical for most uses. More often then not I need to see the big picture, not some single object 100' away.

Best wishes on your search for flaslight happiness
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RonM:
Sending back your TurtleLites...heaven forbid!

I love my TurtleLiteII. Definitely no pocket flashlight, but I can't think of a light I'd rather have in a blackout or on a night hike.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't even dream of sending back my Turtlelites. Of all the lights I own, this one gets more use than any other. And it would be first to go in the overnight bag should the need for travel arise.
It's the last thing I put down before bed, and the first thing I pick up in the morning.
It is useful for many situations, from walking around at night to fishing for something in a dark closet. And I don't have to be afraid of leaving it on and "wasting" the batteries, because it is fairly thrifty with them.

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

------------------

Doug

Enlightened
Well, I sent back the Infinities ... mostly because I paid too much for them
smile.gif
. I'll get one from Botach Tactical, along with more Photon II's (for gifts).

As I use the Turtle2 more and more, I like it more and more. It gets pretty close to the brightness of the Expedition, and I have it loaded with Lithium AA's (as are in the Turtle1, but I don't like it's beam, and it has a bad switch, so it will go back.). I should probably buy a couple more Turtle2's. Now If I could just find a nice slim light, that is really bright, to carry around in my laptop bag... hmm... The Expedition seems to be good for the car, and the Turtle2's good for home, office, etc. One thing is for sure, I sure like the size of the body on the Turtle2 ... I didn't realize this at first... but it is quite satisfying to hold. I wish my other lights where this fat.

Now that the Surefire 10x is coming out, I might get one of those for the car, just to have a big blast of light when needed ... heck, I won't have to worry about batteries ... but not sure of what the shelf life of it's batteries are....

I wonder how that baton light is... anyone get one yet? Some comparison pics would be nice (HINT!)
smile.gif
!

Craig,

Why is this light the last thing you put down, and the first thing you pick up? What, no light switch for your room near your bed?

I was thinking of sending one of those little Princeton (same light, different name, actually) cheepy flashlights, that you squeeze ... So you can tell people how poor quality it is (the body that is)! The only Good thing about it, is that it has the same LED (so it would appear) as the Photon II, and the same batteries (can you say, spares?)
smile.gif

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by telephony:
I couldn't even dream of sending back my Turtlelites. Of all the lights I own, this one gets more use than any other. And it would be first to go in the overnight bag should the need for travel arise.
It's the last thing I put down before bed, and the first thing I pick up in the morning.
It is useful for many situations, from walking around at night to fishing for something in a dark closet. And I don't have to be afraid of leaving it on and "wasting" the batteries, because it is fairly thrifty with them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Doug on 01-21-2001 at 03:55 AM</font>

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug:
Craig,

Why is this light the last thing you put down, and the first thing you pick up? What, no light switch for your room near your bed?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You hit it right on the nose.
The lightswitch for the ceiling light is about 7 or 8 feet away from the head of the bed, and is usually buried behind boxes anyway. I keep the Turtlelite II on the lower part of the headboard, same place I keep the gun, the alarm clock, and a PAL Gold.
Since I keep the curtains closed in that room (there's a luxury hotel directly across the narrow street
shocked.gif
), I need the flashlight even if it's starting to get light when I get up.

I also regularly use the Turtlelite II when looking for articles in dark corners (dropped LEDs, dropped tools, etc.), raiding the refrigerator at 3am, when doing repairs or maintenance on my wheelchair, checking antique insulators for bubbles and junk in the glass, and digging through boxes. It's a very handy light, and one of my favorites.

------------------

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by telephony on 01-21-2001 at 11:36 PM</font>