Need a neutral white light for deer hunting (blood trailing)

jrm02

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm a newbie to the flashlight world, so after doing some research, and getting a little confused, I'm hoping some of you folks could help recommend a light for me. I'm an archery deer hunter who tends to hunt afternoons, and it seems every season I'm blood trailing a deer in the dark. The flashlights I've used in the past leave a lot to be desired; so it's time for something a little more useful. My first criteria is neutral white, followed by good run time. I don't need it to light up the woods, but it needs to be bright enough to track small drops of blood. Light will primarily be used for hunting, but will possibly see some time camping/fishing if needed. Budget for the light alone is $75 (of course, something closer to $50 would be better). Also, I have no experience with 18650's; they're a little intimidating, but I'm assuming as long as I buy a quality protected cell and quality charger, I should be ok. I'm strongly considering a ThruNite TN12 (either the 2014 or 2016) or EagleTac D25LC2. Would these be over-kill, or would something with less out-put work just as well for my needs? Something like the ThruNite Archer 1A or 2A or 1C? Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help!

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
I would go for the Thrunite TN12 2016. Great modes and definitely a good starting 18650 lights for a beginner. For18650s, any cell is good as long as they don't end with ****Fire. Check the forum for recommendations on battery and chargers :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A Streamlight multi ops 3aaa has a laser, a uv light and a neutral beam flashlight that is pretty bright.
About $60 with batteries, a belt sheath and a lanyard.

It's about 6" long, about an inch and a half around and weighs about 7 oz.

For fresh it's great. Old Kentucky hunters swear by the simple lattern for dried. Some say orange lenses work also.

You can use eneloops with this one. But run time on alkys is rated at like 4 hours in flashlight mode.

Throw aint bad for 50 lumens

What the camera saw in UV mode

It's a mechanics light. So it's designed around being dropped onto concrete from time to time. Fall from a tree stand wouldn't be an issue. O-rings help in the rain.
And the simple off/on tail switch makes for no issues when in a hurry.
Plus it's a Stream Light so it has a no questions asked lifetime warranty.

You buy durable hunting gear. So make sure which ever flashlight you choose is durable as well.

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use an Inova X5 which is 2 x CR123 battery UV light which can be used for tracking urine and blood; it will also in a second bring the lum of a watch to full brightness. :)