Micro ATL G5 and G5 eX preview

sunny_nites

Enlightened
This doesn't happen very often but I am actually ahead of schedule so, starting the fun a day early.

Alright, alright,time for some Micro ATL G5 specs!

Going to dispense with the boring stuff and jump right to the pics.

Early test prototype (and my constant pocket light for some time now) of the Micro ATL G5 in aluminum with the Moly Resin semi gloss black coating.

P9300294_zps9spwdcwx.png

P9240287_zpslnjjguf6.png

P9300295_zpsvjvaxvsz.png

The charger port will be cleaner in the production versions.

P9240292_zpsygdt1k2a.png

The G5 will be available in the same metals as the G4. Looking good for the durability of the Moly Resin. I just need to practice a bit more toget the coating silky smooth.

PA130309_zpsfvum1weq.png

PA130312_zpsjjjbecmi.png

So lets discuss what the pics show;

As some of you might have guessed, the G5 and G5 eX (eXtreme) are single, hi powered LED lights based on the Micro ATL G4 platform. In fact, all chassis dimensions of the G5 are exactly the same as the G4.

The G5 will sport aCree XP-E2 running around 512 mah and the G5 eX will feature a CreeXP-G2 running around 812 mah. Not going to be a lot of LED options,to help try to keep the prices and the turn around times down. The choices will be 4000k neutral or 3000k range warm. Lumens ratings per the Cree website:
XP-E2:
Neutral =approximately 150 lumens
Warm =apprxoximately 120 lumens
XP-G2:
Neutral =approximately 190 lumens
Warm =apprxoximately 175 lumens

Because of the space limitations, the Micro ATL G5 will use a Carlco optic to focus the beam, rather than a reflector. Beam shots to come.

Both versions will have a 25x charge/discharge, 250 mah lipo battery (statistically more capacity than the G4 but mostly because this particular battery fitsthe space constraints), an internal 350 mah charger with a USB micro connector jack and the same options as the G4; beacon via the front optic and magnets.

250mah! That's insane you say. Maybe but lets do some math comparing the Micro ATLG5 and G5 eX to one of my other favorite keychain lights; the Thrunite Ti3, which also uses a Cree Xp-G2.

Using a freshly charged, 1.2v (nominal, actual full charge would be 1.4v) eneloop NIMH battery, I get a reading of 1600mahs of current to run the Ti3 at its highest power setting.
Apparent power(wattage) = 1.2 x 1.6 = 1.9 watts.
That is the max that could be getting to the LED. In reality, that will be somewhat lower because the circuit has to triple the 1.2v to get the voltage up to the range that the XP-G2 needs to operate and some of that current goes to the voltage amplifier. But lets keep it simple and assume a voltage amplifier with 100% efficiency is able to supply the total 1.9 watts to the LED. Per Thrunites specs, the Ti3 on high puts out 120 lumens.

The Micro ATL G5 with a fully charged 3.7v (nominal, actual full charge would be 4.2v) lipo and 512mah (this will actually be a bit higher at full charge,the 512mah is measured with the battery around 3.8v) and the apparent power formula:
3.7 x .512 = 1.9(rounded up) watts.
With the lipo battery, the 1.9 watts is actually what is available to the LED as the lipo battery has a high enough voltage that it does not need amplification.

In reality the Ti3 does not have a 100% efficient voltage amplifier and the G5 with aCree XP-E2 is brighter. I don't have a light meter so I cant provide actual lumens measurements but to my eye, the G5 is noticeably brighter, even though it is using a Cree XP-E2 while the Ti3 driving a Cree XP-G2.

Now lets look at runtimes.
The Ti3s eneloop NIMH has a nominal voltage of 1.2v with an 800mah capacity.
On high, with a current draw of 1600mah, you could expect a run time of approximately 30 minutes.
The G5s lipo has a nominal voltage of 3.7v with a 250mah capacity.
On high with a current draw of 512mah, you could expect a run time of approximately 29 minutes and right in the range of the Ti3.

So, the G5 is brighter than a Ti3 and has a very similar run time capacity. The real world run times would be different of course, under typical keychain or EDC usage. The G5 prototype has been in my pocket for testing constantly and so far, it has never run down completely and I'm only charging it every few weeks or so, just to top it off.

Haven't gone over the G5 eX specs but it would be considerably brighter than the Ti3 with a shorter max run time, maybe on the order of 15 to 20 minutes on high. Have to look at the eX as more of a keychain spotlight. But,with the built in charger, it's easy enough to charge back up. No need to dissemble the light, pull out the battery, find a charger and let it completely charge. The lipo in the Micro ATLs are similar to the lipos in your phone, no memory affect and no need to completely discharge it before charging and no need to even completely charge itat one time.

Business end of a 464 brass G5 test light with a view of the Carlco optic.

PA130313_zpskepzm89x.png

Some sizecomparisons next to the AAA powered Thrunite TI3.

PA130320_zpskhkth1vf.jpg

PA130324_zpslu5lhsya.jpg

Pic of the partially machined, 1/4" (6mm) thick, G5 heat sink. The test lights used an aluminum heat sink which proved entirely adequate.

PA140332_zpsovglyiqr.jpg

PA140334_zpsbco3puck.jpg

So, if aluminum was good, copper must be better, right? Likely the production G5s will have a copper heat sink rather than the aluminum, unless the extra weight proves to be an issue.

The charging indicator light displays through the optic on the test versions.

PA040305_zps25onnsum.png

Not sure if the charge indicator through the front optic will make into the production lights or not. Running the charging light in this manner requires a lot of extra wiring inside the light as opposed to just having a charge indicator light next to the charging port.

And last but not least, milled slots for trits or GID will be available!!

PA14033122_zpsmhxkwxsz.jpg

PA140329_zpsbsueesmz.jpg

Thats right, I have a much improved mill now and can do some custom slotting. The limiting factor will likely be the depth as the walls on the side ofthe lights are only around 2.5mm thick. The above pics are milled at 2.5mm wide with a depth of approximately .75mm and use Glow Incs G10 powder. Don't get too excited about the ragged interior wall on the copper example, I use scrap parts for testing and prototyping.

As far as pricing,it is honestly too early to say but just a heads up that these lights will be somewhat more expensive than the G4s because everything about them is more expensive and requires more precise machining and time to manufacture.

This thread is very much a work on process and continued development and specs will depend on the input I get from those of you that might be interested in purchasing a G5 or G5 eX.

So if you like what you see, let me know and I will continue to work on this light. I have the prototype and am absolutely satisfied with it so I'm good to go but if you would like your own Micro ATL G5 or G5 eX, it is up to you to let me know!

Thanks and stay tuned!

Last edited:

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet!
Nice to see the changes that have been made. XP-G2 in a tiny package with embedded micro-usb charging is a big step-up from the G3 & G4s.
And, you can't go wrong with trits slots! :)
Great update, Curt!

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reserved for when Copper G5 EX Warm with milled slot with GITD is available! :)

Sunny, you're awesome! :)

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
When available I am down for:
XP-G2:

Neutral =approximately 190 lumens

In CU with glow slots (not filled in). I will add my own glow contraptions. :)

As always, awesome light.

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Thanks guys!

nfetterly - sure, feel free to PM with any questions about trit slots, etc.

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I NEED a brass G5ex with 4000k XP-G2 and trit slots to match my brass G4!

As always I will back this for sure just like the G4 before

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Thanks again everyone, for your support!

Hope to have some beam shots posted this weekend. I'll compare the beam pattern and intensity to some other keychain and EDC lights.

I'm really liking the 4000K LEDs, they have a great warmish neutral color temp.

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Hey guys, ran out of time this weekend to get the beam shots done but look for them soon.

Also, I am going to have a couple of interesting (IMHO) side projects coming up to help fund the development of the G5 (primarily the charger/mosfet driver board).

Thanks!

sunny_nites

Enlightened
More of a struggle to get some beam shots posted than I had originally thought.

What I have today is really not an apples to apples comparison as the TI3 is running a Cree XP-G2 in neutral/warm while the Micro ATL G5 is running a Cree XP-E2 in nuetral/cool. I had been working on pics with a Cree XP-G2, neutral/warm in a G5 but managed to knock the dome off the only heat sink mounted XP-G2 I had at the moment. That XP-G2 will still work well for heat testing but not so much for beam quality.

So keep in mind that the pics I'm posting today are only to compare the beam patterns, not the max brightness or color temps.

On the left is the Ti3 and on the right is the G5. (Sorry for the confusion, originally I had the patterns reversed. Correct now with the TI3 on the left and the G5 on the right)
Ti3%20Left%20G5%20Right_zpsp3nu7dfa.jpg

Actually a lot going on in the above pic. Notice the beam pattern on the G5 is not quite as round as the Ti3? The Carlco optic at 10mm produces a beam somewhere in between a reflector and an aspheric lens. Not as much spill as a reflector but not as tightly focused as an aspheric, really somewhere in the middle. Note the hotspot of the beam is a bit brighter on the G5 but the Ti3 spill illuminates more of the surrounding area, like the brown wood paneling on the right.
Ti3%20L%20G5%20R%20Closeup_zpsek5moiqj.jpg

The ultra low setting (different manufactures call it different things, like firefly, moonlight, etc) on each is pretty comparable. You can see that the G5 shows more of a square beam, like you might see on an aspheric. Note, the G5 eX will have a somewhat brighter ultra low mode.

Close up of the G5 beam showing the squared pattern.
PA210343_zpsfpq0voau.jpg

Nothing to do with beam patterns really but I got ahold of some champfer bits and have been figuring out how to use them.
PA210335_zpsrgidrhhw.jpg

PA210340_zpsny71c3p7.jpg

I believe the scuffed up corner is more from my, still needing lots of practice, spraying technique rather than a statement on the Moly Resisns durability.

PA210337_zpsopwybtnu.jpg

I planned on sand blasting the case and reapplying the Moly Resin but actually really like the contrast and am just going to keep it as is.
PA210339_zpslduay6h4.jpg

The G5 and G5 eX will come with these silicone USB port covers that you can use or not use, which ever you prefer. They will be more recessed in the production versions.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Zandar

Enlightened
Thanks for su:popcorn:cking me in yet again, you "mad" man. I definitely would be interested in some kind of real wood trimmed light if you can make that work.