I made my own flashlight cheap! (joking thread)

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Powered by 8 D cell batteries and weighing a handy 4.5 lbs it easily puts out more than 300 lumens of light!
-The lamp is an incandescent designed to be an extra headlight for off road vehicles
-solidly constructed out of duct tape, bare copper wire, rubber bands, and mdf
-the (almost) best thing to come out of 5 minutes of my time and things laying around the house
-0% waterproof and 100% awesome
-easy single mode operation: just shove the loose copper wire under a rubber band and you are good to go
-totally not safe
All joking aside I think that it would be pretty cool to replace the Incandescent bulb with a high output LED, use some lithium batteries, get a waterproof project box, add a driver for different modes, somehow get the LED to point towards the reflector right at the focal point,.... you know what I am going to stick with buying flashlights and making knives not the other way around.
DSCN3446small.jpg

DSCN3450small.jpg

DSCN3451small.jpg

and comparing my thrunite T10 which runs off of a single AA, weighs about 1/8 lbs, and puts out about 170 lumens
DSCN3452.JPG

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going way more than 300 lumen. Pleasant beam color for sure. Safety issues aside, that thing is pimp. Since it is obviously EDC ready, I would suggest packing it in your checked luggage verses your carry on. I may raise some TSA eyebrows otherwise.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
honestly.... how many of us haven't done something like this at one time or another? I'm all in favor of playing around with stuff, learning, becoming inspired to improve and refine a design, etc. That might be why I became an engineer (along with wanting to have a fun job).

Most of my hobby tinkering has been with bicycle lights, and I've done a few incandescent-to-LED conversions on them. It's very difficult to properly retrofit a LED into a reflector and get any kind of decent performance. I usually slip a TIR optic into the housing and remove the reflector. And then there's the issue of heatsinking the LED. After a while, I've realized that I usually just want to keep the switch, battery housing, and mounting bracket from the original light and remove the rest.

Joking or not, I commend you for wiring up a few things and being creative! ....and for creating a fun thread!

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Ok, I have tinkered with electricity since I was a child. I am probably just going to use this thread to post some of the things I have made or worked on.
I have done:
electroplating, salt water etching, welding, I attempted to separate hydrogen and oxygen from water but I was using AC :eek:.
Here is something that I was involved with, A morse code signaler.
The top one can actually be hooked up to a HAM radio and the second one is just to practice for earning the signaling merit badge.
We had the beepers hooked up to 9 volt batteries and I had the bright idea of connecting a single christmas light to it.
DSCN3460small.jpg

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had the beepers hooked up to 9 volt batteries and I had the bright idea of connecting a single christmas light to it.

hmmm... this could be linked up to one of my minor obsessions.. optical communications! You could use lights to communicate in a "secure" way. i.e. it would be hard for someone to intercept it. Of course, you have to have a literal line of sight to the other person in order to make this work. Adding optics improves the "antenna" gain and makes it more secure. If you add an infra-red emitter and detector, then you can make it even more secure!! :)

I need to find time to build an infra-red optical link for sending audio back and forth. Seems like a fun project to play with.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Heck, I'd say toss it in a plastic bag and mount it on your bicycle. No more issues with cars not seeing you!
Are you referring to the big light? If so, I am sad to say that I already have a LED bike light that works well enough ;), it puts out about 200 lumens and I bought it from an REI used gear sale for something like $5

hmmm... this could be linked up to one of my minor obsessions.. optical communications! You could use lights to communicate in a "secure" way. i.e. it would be hard for someone to intercept it. Of course, you have to have a literal line of sight to the other person in order to make this work. Adding optics improves the "antenna" gain and makes it more secure. If you add an infra-red emitter and detector, then you can make it even more secure!! :)

I need to find time to build an infra-red optical link for sending audio back and forth. Seems like a fun project to play with.
I remember a few weeks ago someone on laserpointerforums was asking about a low powered infrared laser module to use as a communication device for a school project. I also saw the idea of using a laser reflected off of a window to record audio from a building. RE: the Xmas light, it burned out in a few minutes but I like to imagine that it put out over 150 unfocused lumens before it did, that sucker lit up houses across the street.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going way more than 300 lumen. Pleasant beam color for sure. Safety issues aside, that thing is pimp. Since it is obviously EDC ready, I would suggest packing it in your checked luggage verses your carry on. I may raise some TSA eyebrows otherwise.

I thought under current TSA regs all electronic devices must be in carry-on luggage.

Nice frankenlight by the way. Very much in the spirit of Halloween!

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
I thought under current TSA regs all electronic devices must be in carry-on luggage.

Nice frankenlight by the way. Very much in the spirit of Halloween!
Thanks, I think that it is actually the brightest light I will have on halloween. So much for getting a new flashlight soon, but I am going to get more flashlights before next year. :santa:

I also put this together just for old times sake:
I actually considered crossing out the "choc" and replacing it with "flash"

20151025_180320.jpg

20151023_121901.jpg

20151025_180749.jpg

Gosh, I really need to get my hands on a working soldering iron.
help.gif

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I made my own flashlight cheap!

...I crossed out the word Surefire and wrote Ultrafire on it! :)

Joking thread, right? :)