Replacement for 120W BR40 incan can light in bathroom?

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Have a bathroom with a counter & 2 sinks and a BR40 can in the ceiling over each. Used to use the 120w floods that you can't get anymore. Don't like to use Halogen, the wiring is 1960's. Can't get enough light out of lesser wattages.

made in china

Newly Enlightened
It'd be helpful to post a pic of the recessed cans so we can see if they are the HALO style or something else. I have the "something else" kind in my older home, so I had to avoid the HALO type retrofits at most big box stores. Found some CREE Tru Whites that fit in our older cans and have very good CRI.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
HALO is a brand name? It does have a round metal trim on the ceiling. The can is above the ceiling. Says 120 W maximum on the label. I just want as much light as the 120w bulb used to put out.

MattPete

Newly Enlightened
I think the poster means Halo-style (with a physical can up there) vs. Lightolier (the trim is held up by a friction ring). This only matter if you plan to replace the fixture.

As for bulbs, I'm sticking with halogen in the bathroom (we have the same setup: two BR40s over our sinks). The LEDs I tried (e.g. Sylvania, Ecosmart) have a throw that is too wide (120°), which is great for lighting up the rest of the bathroom, but doesn't deliver enough light straight downward over the sink. Also, they are weak in the deep-red part of the spectrum and make skin and makeup look a little off.

For now I'm sticking with 70-watt halogens from Philips and Sylvania. These are newer designs that use infrared reflection to save energy. They put out around 1300 lumens and have fantastic color rendition. Unlike our kitchen, the lights in the bathroom are used for only a short period of time, so switching to LEDs won't save us much on our electric bill.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
As I said, the fixture & my wiring are not rated for halogen heat output.

How many lumens did a plain 120W BR40 put out?

MattPete

Newly Enlightened
As I said, the fixture & my wiring are not rated for halogen heat output.

70watt Halogens put out less heat (run cooler) and draw less current than 120 watt incandesents. So, if that was what you were using before, you'd be more than safe using the 70 watt Halogens.

How many lumens did a plain 120W BR40 put out?

About 1300 lumens.