Where Do You Store Batteries?

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Hi, where do you guys store your spare batteries? I think that I read somewhere a few years ago that it's best to store in fridge. Can someone confirm or deny that the fridge is the best storage place? Thanks.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello CalgaryGuy,

I store my spare batteries in my spare flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I believe the general recommendation is a cool dry place.

Tom

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gotten too lazy to use rechargeables so I've started buying Alkalines in the Ray-o-vac 30 pack they sell at the registers at Lowes hardware stores. They come ina small plastic case that is recloseable. Its a really cheap case though so it gets bent out of shape easy.

WolfEyes

Newly Enlightened
I remember having read on some battery manufactorers site that batteries should not be stored in the fridge because it is to dry in there and batteries will start to loose water if stored in too dry conditions.

I store them in a drawer of my desk (=around 21 degrees Celsius, no sun light).

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
Actually a refrigerator can be quite damp, too damp for batteries. However, placing them in a sealed container (ie a reclosable bag of some sort) will protect them from any moisture/dryness they might be exposed to. It will also prevent condensation from forming on the batteries when they are removed--and it is best to let them warm up to room temperature before using them.

Considering that most batteries are sealed cells, I'm not sure why excessive dryness would cause them to "dry out"...in fact, exposure to dryness might be better, as it prevents corrosion.

The one thing you might not want to do is store them in the freezer because of the possibility of freezing the electrolyte. Not likely, but possible.

And to keep things in perspective, if you go through your stash of alkaline batteries within a few months of purchasing them, storage at anything colder than room temperature is almost a moot point anyway. So a cool, dark (no direct sunlight exposure) location such as a desk drawer would be perfect unless you're storing up a ton of them for a few years. I personally keep mine in a nice shoebox in the corner of my bedroom. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I store some in the fridge with sicone pack.
Some in the car.
Some in my emergency chest.
Some in my "To Go" bag.
Some in my briefcase.
Some in the light pouch I carry.
Some in my pocket.
Some in the garage.

Question to self "Now which ones do I rotate next?"

Neko2

Newly Enlightened
I've always kept my batteries in the freezer with good results. I've always heard that they last longer in there...

N2

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I store them:

In a plastic bag or glad disposable container with others of the same type and batch. All the cells of the same type go into a bigger bag to keep them together. All the containers go in a box that is stored in a cupboard. When possible all cells are alligned with positive pointing the same way.

The lead acid (gel-cell and otherwise) are on a bench in the garage.

Rechargables (nicad and nimh) are on a counter in the kitchen while charging. I tried leaving in the garage but they fail quickly due to the uneven temperatures. I even bring in rechargable tools to charge.

Daniel

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't do anything special. They're just all over my room. Lithiums have very long shelf life and I don't worry about them. Alkalines have actually held up pretty well too, though a few have leaked. I don't keep too many around. NiMH is what I use the most. They don't hold their charge if you leave them sitting around for too long, but just recharge them when you need them and they're fine.