Best cotton for wicks

ven

Flashaholic
Hello all, just seeing what is your preference for organic/Japanese cotton etc and which you prefer. Kind of find i get cotton tastes for a tank or so and presume normal,just keen to know of any preferences .

At the moment i am using muji cotton and flavour is great once bedded in so to speak......Just tempted to try something different or if any other type is better:thumbsup:

ven

Flashaholic
Well after a little googling, i ended up ordering some Koh Den Do pure organic Japanese cotton. Will see if i notice any difference over the muji i have been using:)

stargunn

Newly Enlightened
Neither, a buddy got me hooked on rayon. It does have a burn-in period, but usually it's just a couple big clouds then its good. Pure flavor, excellent wicking, can go a week(sometimes 2, depending on the juice) before rewicking is needed. Oh, and its cheap, a 5 pound box will run about $20

ven

Flashaholic
:rock::rock::bow::bow::party::party::party::party::party: a reply thank you :laughing:

I have been using cotton bacon v2, and can say its the best i have used so far! I got onto this from the cotton of the OBS crius V3 which had a long piece with the tank. It was just like pure cotton, no actual pad or ball. No layer to the eye............it is spot on. Instant pretty much bed in and flavour.

So a bit of research...........you know, mr google " whats the best cotton in the world ever" kind of thing(well maybe not) And lots of positive reviews on this cotton bacon v2. Around £5 for a pouch................probably last a year!! has strips that for example, cut 20mm off, and then cut down the length for the wicks. So maybe 3 strips out of a 20mm cut off........if makes sense.

Pic says a 1000 words, here is 2000!

So can recommend this for sure, been using it a while now(weeks maybe) and been very good!

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cotton bacon is the best by far. Of course before trying it I was using cotton balls from the drug store. Like you said would take a bit to lose cotton taste. With bacon it's perfect at first puff. Also before I would change cotton every two days. Now I'm good for 5-7 days as long as I'm not using a dessert flavour which gunks up coils fast. And I vape generally at 50-70W

ven

Flashaholic
Good stuff vicv, i am still on my pouch of cotton bacon!!! Last forever this packet............

Yes, life certainly is in the hands of the flavour vaped. Ones like vanilla or sweet(yellow or darker colours) tend to gunk up fast in a couple of days. Clearer juices i find can be weeks before the slight change in flavour . Quick burn of the coil to clean, fresh wick and good to go again.

:)

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup. I was using a smores flavour and I got a day before it started to taste awful. Even with clear juices 5 days is my max before dry burning. I could probably put the cotton back in because it's fine just the coil was gunked a tad but I just put fresh in. I'm curious what's your usual setup. I personally like drippers myself. Right now I'm using a wotofo lush with dual .65ohm coils of twisted 28g kanthal so .34ohms total at 50w on a smok hpriv. Other is a geekvape tsunami 24mm with dual twisted parallel 28g kanthal at .17ohms set at 70w. That one's fun as they're vertical coils with the cotton wrapped around them and the airflow directly under the coil so the air gets sucked through the centre of the coil. That build I can go to 150w before it gets too warm(I like a cool vape) but 70 is fine for me

ven

Flashaholic
I go for an easy all day kind of vape, my many mods have been gifted over the past 12m or so and now just a handful along with a few tanks. The one i use the most is an older set up, uwell crown, single RBA (right now its a 0.7ohm coil) but i can go down to 0.3ohm some times. Being 0.7 and single coil, around 16w gives me enough flavour/vape without any heat issues at all. Mod wise, most of the time its the kanger platinum(original version with metal buttons). This is an excellent mod as long as you dont want to fire bellow 0.4ohm, being single cell its not ideal for 30w+ for vape time(will swap to a dual cell mod if i need longer run time).

My car has an vt60 in with another uwell crown(both here in this pic in back ground) with strawberry milkshake, the one in hand has heisenburg home brew in(most of my juices are home made)

I went through a faze of latest tanks and mods a while back, pointless really as 220W or more is of no use to me. In fact, these days i will be lucky to get much over 40w on the smok v8 and that can be a little harsh for frequent vaping.

Still I keep an eye out now and then, see if anything is worth getting but tbh although they are fine, there has been not much point in me trying the last few latest tanks and mods. The platinum is just so comfortable in hand..........just works well for me.

Drippers are awesome, better flavour and vape no question, just not suited too well for my vape needs . So mine get little use these days.............all about convenience for me i guess.
The smok h-priv and x-cube 2 are great, but again limited use due to size............They do get a bit of vape time still though. The h-priv and v8 were my most recent purchases , maybe the only one this year thinking about it!

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Under 40w sure does save on juice too. I've doubled my juice usage since going to lower resistance builds. The harshness you get may be due to nice content. I'm at 2mg which works well at the higher wattage. And the 200+ W devices are lying anyway. No way on only two cells.The h priv was actually my first regulated device. Got it a month ago along with the tsunami I vaped with a nemesis mech tube mod(authentic) for the last 4 years. I was getting sick of only an hour or so of runtime. Now I get about 8-10H(I take my cells out when they're about 3.5V oc. I also have a tfv4 micro which is nice and convenient and works very close to a dripper in vape quality but the factory coils wore out and I'm waiting for my rba section as I won't spend $6 every three days for coils

ven

Flashaholic
Yes the tfv4 micro is a cool little tank, SMOK do make some interesting beasts! The tfv8 is something else...............really is a monster tank. SMOK's coil designs are awesome, really are a work of art.

Should try it, real easy and convenient. Could buy 1L or 2L of VG, maybe 1L of PG just to help the flavour by adding a small % in there along with the flavour PG. 100ml of 72mg strength nicotine and what ever flavours you choose to mix. I use 20% strength, so simply 20ml of flavour per 100ml made. Tend to make 250ml a time, so 50ml of flavour, 200ml left of which most of that is VG.

I used to make 80/20 VG/PG as the PG is all in the flavour, the rest (nic is VG based too) VG. I tend to make low strength nic in my mixes and like them real smooth. Now i make 75% and 25%(so add another 5% PG just to help the flavour a little and for wicking a little easier(not as thick).

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya. I know the basis. I even have an app which will do the calculations for me. The tfv8 looks awesome but needing at least 90w to make it perform is a bit excessive. Their factory coils are awesome and for someone who doesn't mostly drop so they're used to diminishing flavour would think they're fine. But I could tell an off taste after 3 days use. And at $30 a five pack is too much. And I prefer about a 50/50 pg vg mix. Too much vg makes my lungs feel heavy if that makes sense

ven

Flashaholic
I kind of fell out with pre-built coils a while back, and part of the reason was cost. Many would be hit/miss so i started to use the supplied RBA or bought them if not supplied. Much prefer the RBA side to pre-built and found no need for crazy high power.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good way to do it. That's why I bought the rba for mine. Just waiting to get here from fast tech. No Canadian vendors had them. Along with a bunch of wire as i only have 28g left.
Anyway I derailed things a bit here. I haven't tried any of the fancy Japanese cottons yet but cotton bacon is available easily online or probably most vape shops and it's a nice dense super clean cotton that doesn't disintegrate like pharmacy cotton balls and no gross cotton flavour. And for $6-8 a package should be at least six months worth even if you change wicks a couple times a week like I do. If you're more like Ven and change every couple weeks should last you over a year. It's the best thing since switching to cotton from silica wick. Yuck!