Test/Review of Evva 18650 3500mAh (Black)

HKJ

Flashaholic
[size=+3]Evva 18650 3500mAh (Black)[/size]

DSC_1167.jpg

Official specifications:
  • Cell: Panasonic(Sanyo) NCR18650GA high drain cell
  • Nominal voltage: 3.7V
  • Nominal capacity: 3500mAh discharge at 0.2C mA
  • Stanard Charge voltage: 4.20V ( Full Charged Voltage )
  • Standard Charge current: 1000mA
  • Charge Time(Std.): 4 hours
  • Discharge cut-off voltage: 2.50V
  • PCB Protection trip current: about 10A
  • Operating environment Charging: 0°C ~ 45°C ; 65±20%RH
  • Operating environment Discharging: -20°C~60°C ; 65±20%RH
  • Storage environment: -20°C~60°C; Less than 1 month, -20°C~60°C; Less than 3 months
  • Cell Weight: 50g max.
  • Cell Dimension: (L) 68.90mm*(D) 18.60mm

Evva%2018650%203500mAh%20(Black)-info.png

This is a high capacity cell that can handle fairly high discharge current.

DSC_1165.jpg
DSC_1166.jpg

DSC_1168.jpg
DSC_1169.jpg

DSC_1170.jpg

DSC_1171.jpg

Evva%2018650%203500mAh%20(Black)-Capacity.png

Very nice discharge curves with good tracking between the cell.
My result is below rated capacity, some of the reason is probably because I terminate charge a bit early (100mA instead of 50mA) and do not discharge to 2.5 volt, only to 2.8 volt.

Evva%2018650%203500mAh%20(Black)-CapacityTimeHours.png

Evva%2018650%203500mAh%20(Black)-CapacityTime.png

Evva%2018650%203500mAh%20(Black)-Energy.png

Evva%2018650%203500mAh%20(Black)-PowerLoadTime.png

Evva%2018650%203500mAh%20(Black)-TripCurrent.png

Evva%2018650%203500mAh%20(Black)-Charge.png

[size=+3]Conclusion[/size]

This cell is designed for higher loads, but it has capacity enough to be a resonable cell at lower loads also.

This is a very good cell.

[size=+3]Notes and links[/size]

The batteries was supplied by Evva for review

How is the test done and how to read the charts
How is a protected LiIon battery constructed
More about button top and flat top batteries
Compare to 18650 and other batteries

akhyar

Enlightened
Thanks for the review HKJ.
Another option to Keeppower 3500 for protected button-top 3500mAh cell

Short_Circuit

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review, I have three of these cells now that I keep in my best lights. They're running $9.95 ea at Mountain Electronics, cheaper if you buy in bulk. ME has become my favorite dealer and these EVVA's my favorite cells. I also have two 14500 EVVAs as well which are very good.

Clm65

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the awesome review! I just ordered 4 of these last week from ME, sounds like it was a good decision!

staticaz

Newly Enlightened
Being relatively new to which 18650 battery to buy and wanting to dump the ultrafires that I have been using, there is quite a selection at
Mountain Electronics. Are all of the batteries they sell there good or should I only go with a certain brand? Like for instance, has anyone had
experience with this one and it is a decent battery? http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_88&product_id=55

Tried to find the ones in this review but could not find any Evva batts there.

Also, is it always best to go with protected cells or, if you're careful as far as making sure you don't short them out, are unprotected
cells ok?

Thanks ...

Last edited:

Short_Circuit

Newly Enlightened
Being relatively new to which 18650 battery to buy and wanting to dump the ultrafires that I have been using, there is quite a selection at
Mountain Electronics. Are all of the batteries they sell there good or should I only go with a certain brand? Like for instance, has anyone had
experience with this one and it is a decent battery? http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_88&product_id=55

Tried to find the ones in this review but could not find any Evva batts there.

Also, is it always best to go with protected cells or, if you're careful as far as making sure you don't short them out, are unprotected
cells ok?

Thanks ...

I can tell you the EVVA batteries are fine batteries. Depending on which one you buy they're either made by LG or Sanyo/Panasonic . I've kind of gotten hooked on them and have bought several 18650s and a couple of 14500s and for the price I don't think you can get a better battery. Mountain electronics has also become my favorite source for good high quality batteries as I've heard so many cpf'ers testify which is why I started using them and yes I believe they only sell good high quality brand name batteries.

There are a couple of reviews on here for the EVVAs in various forms so check those out. Me personally I like to find a good brand and stick with it. Right now that's EVVA for me. Not to say I'd pass up a good deal on a Nitecore or Olight or other good brand name bat.

As to the question about protection, I don't really consider myself expert enough yet to use unprotected batteries so I stick with protected , button top batteries for all my lights.

staticaz

Newly Enlightened
OK..... thanks for the quick response..... I thought the brand name was EVVA, guess that explains why I could not find them...
I will try to stay with protected for now....

Just ordered a TM36UTvn - Spec 1 , now all I have to do is find something to kill about 3-4 weeks worth of time so I can have it. Thanks again for the info...

HKJ

Flashaholic
Curious.....just found this site.. looks pretty informative but, wondering if the info on here is still relevant or if it is outdated?

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650Summary UK.html

Most of the information on that site is not outdated. Your link is to a old battery test, the current one is http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php
It is marked 2012 because it started there, but it is not finished yet.
All the reviews in the 2012 test is also posted here where you can ask questions.

Short_Circuit

Newly Enlightened
OK..... thanks for the quick response..... I thought the brand name was EVVA, guess that explains why I could not find them...
I will try to stay with protected for now....

Well EVVA sorta is the Brand name. Someone will correct me if I get this wrong but my understanding is that all the batteries made by the good companies ie Panasonic, Sanyo, LG and maybe one or two I'm missing, probably Samsung, but all those "originator" companies make the core battery and only sell wholesale in lots to other companies like EVVA, KeepPower, and Olight , Nitecore etc etc who then take the basic unprotected battery without a button top and add the button top and install the protection circuit, re-wrap the battery and sell under their own name like EVVA.

This is the reason you want to stick to good rebranders like EVVA who use top quality Seiko protection circuits. With some batteries especially all the *****fire brands you never know where the protection circuit comes from or even if it's there or if it is whether it will do it's job or not. This is one reason I like the EVVA because the Battery (an LG or Sanyo/Panasonic) and the Seiko protection circuit are made in Japan not China although they are assembled in China. And it says so right on each battery.

Also all the EVVA's I've bought so far are consistent in weight and length with excellent quality wrapping and finish.

Just ordered a TM36UTvn - Spec 1 , now all I have to do is find something to kill about 3-4 weeks worth of time so I can have it. Thanks again for the info...

Did you order from Mtn Electronics? My batteries usually arrive within ten to fourteen days when I order from them. But yeah that's the hard part for us waiting for stuff to arrive. You spend all that time reading reviews and deciding what you want then spend time looking for the best price and reliable seller and by that time you're ready to hold it in your hand but have to wait for the snail mail. Oh well.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the information on that site is not outdated. Your link is to a old battery test, the current one is http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php
It is marked 2012 because it started there, but it is not finished yet.
All the reviews in the 2012 test is also posted here where you can ask questions.
I found this a very good place to start on understanding battery information and documented improvements.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend finding a battery vendor whom you trust. Battery price should be competitive, but should not be your primary concern. Getting high-quality batteries should be your primary concern. Plenty of sellers give you fakes. Do not buy from random vendors on ebay and Amazon. At CPF, Illumn, Mountain Electronics, Battery Junction, RTD Vapor, and others have earned reputations for selling good batteries at fair prices.

Edit: Thanks to the post by subLGT below, I just learned that Battery Junction sells some xxxx-Fire batteries. Therefore, I must remove Battery Junction from the list of vendors I recommend.

Last edited:

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
...At CPF, Illumn, Mountain Electronics, Battery Junction, RTD Vapor, and others have earned reputations for selling good batteries at fair prices.

Battery Junction sells some good batteries, but they also sell some questionable batteries, like Ultrafire.

staticaz

Newly Enlightened
Did you order from Mtn Electronics? My batteries usually arrive within ten to fourteen days when I order from them. But yeah that's the hard part for us waiting for stuff to arrive. You spend all that time reading reviews and deciding what you want then spend time looking for the best price and reliable seller and by that time you're ready to hold it in your hand but have to wait for the snail mail. Oh well.

No, I ordered through Vinh ~ Skylumen Got a note from him regarding proper batteries for it and he said, since it will be "moded" from him, I need to use only unprotected cells. No past experience with these. I use a Nitecore D4 charger so I am assuming it will safely charge them without concern on my part for overcharging but, need to do some research on here in regards to the do's and don'ts for handling unprotected cells other than your having to be careful as far as possibly shorting them out but, other than that, don't know much more. All of my current lights will shut down when my protected cells are at 2.5 vlts. Not sure if the TM36UTvn will also do this with unprotected cells or not. Any posts anyone can think of covering this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks ..

Matchoo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks HJK for all of your amazing reviews. I ordered a pair of these from Mtn. Electronics.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery Junction sells some good batteries, but they also sell some questionable batteries, like Ultrafire.

Uh, oh! Indeed it does. I just found this Ultrafire battery listed at Battery Junction.

My own choice is not to buy batteries from a vendor who sells xxxx-Fire. Because Battery Junction is one that does, I am removing it from the list of vendors I recommend.

Thanks for the info.