Removing o-rings as an out-gassing safety margin, good idea or not?

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
I don't know how much or often any one type of battery vents, but would removing the o-ring make it any safer in case of that kind of event? I was thinking of doing this since I don't plan of dropping my light in a 2 meter deep bucket of water for 30 minutes anytime soon. :confused: I'm more concerned about the 18650 or primary lithium than the NiMh batteries or Alkalines.

Phlogiston

Enlightened
If you have a major failure, the cell is likely to vent so rapidly that the gases won't have time to escape past the threads before the flashlight bursts open. Personally, I leave the o-rings where they are, use protected cells and practice safe procedures (like checking them with a voltmeter from time to time).

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Short of a design that was basically a battery cage with water/dust resistance being the function of relatively loose O-rings between the ends of the cell and the contact (ala the gatlight), you're adding theoretical safety margin against a low-probability event at the cost of safety margin against a high-probability event (moisture/dust intrusion).

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
Good points. However, I'm thinking the more probable dust and moisture is basically a non event while any fire or explosion at all is an event I don't want to deal with. I know it's highly unlikely especially running single batteries (no reverse charging or mis match possibility). I thought it may be an extra layer of safety, that's all.

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will not using an Protected cell virtually eliminate this problem, if you light is compatible with LiFePO better again.

offtopic : I have a couple of 3xC flashlights they have zoom able focus, when i zoom out fully, the tail switch locks completely due to the suction and it take around 30 seconds to release, so i now turn the light on and them zoom out.

John.

Last edited:

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
Will not using an Protected cell virtually eliminate this problem, if you light is compatible with LiFePO better again.

offtopic : I have a couple of 3xC flashlights they have zoom able focus, when i zoom out fully, the tail switch locks completely due to the suction and it take around 30 seconds to release, so i now turn the light on and them zoom out.

John.

Sure a protected cell is the way to go as long as it's not some counterfeit protected cell that is unprotected. Some of the counterfeit batteries are looking pretty authentic.