Surge Spare Bulb Storage?

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Anyone of you guys tried to put a spare bulb somewhere in the Surge body? It look like it might fit if it is taped to the side or something along that line.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm. Wish you hadn't asked that.

Grumble, disassemble, fiddle................

OK, I could tape, or otherwise attach a spare bulb between the AA's, on the outside of the battery assembly, 90 degrees away from the switch side. It won't fit on the "flattened" sides because of the ridges inside the flashlight body. There is ample room there. It's a tiny bulb.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried that and gave up. I actually put the bulb in a bit of shrink tube, and taped that into the side groove near the bottom. It seemed to work, but a few months later the bulb shattered. The tolerances are just too tight without some mods. YMMV.

Shame on PT for not molding a storage space for a spare bulb!

paulr

Flashaholic
Maybe a spare bulb could be stowed in one of those keychain metal survival capsules, and attached to the Surge's wrist lanyard.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually put the bulb in a bit of shrink tube, and taped that into the side groove near the bottom. It seemed to work, but a few months later the bulb shattered.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Now that IS interesting. Why in the world would the thing shatter. If it was in the shrink wrap, that should cushion it as well as the bulb you were using.

Maybe the adjacent AA crushed it when the light was dropped, or bumped hard. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Louie- I just looked again. Did you tape the bulb on the side with the solid plastic battery guides/holders ? If you taped it there, nothing should be able to crush it. This is the side 90 degrees away from the internal switch side.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno, I even had little tubing rings on each end of the bulb inside the tube for cushions. I guess the combined thickness of the tubing and tape made it just enough to crack the bulb with some kind of thump - which I don't recall. No hard drop that I recall or anything. Heres a photo of approximately what I had, sans tape. I had also shrunk one end of the tubing down so the bulb couldn't fall out that end.
surge01.JPG

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
That shrink wrap looks a bit thick. It might have compressed the bulb so that a small impact could have broken it.

Wrap the sucker in Saran wrap, or something thin. There is enough room in there.

AndyJ

Newly Enlightened
As long as we're on the subject of Surge bulbs, where is the best place to purchase two?

I know they're in the $7 range but it is the shipping charges that really add up.

Thx.
Andy

fivebyfive

Enlightened
Texas Tactical Suppy did have them for $3.99, but I just checked and they no longer had it. Maybe they're out of stock and took the item off of their web-site. I'd check back with them at a later date.

H00D

Newly Enlightened
You might find a pet coller ID tube thats big enough to hold the bulb..just a thought