In-depth vid review: Manker Quinlan T01 Compact Thrower (XP-L HI | 1 x AA / 14500)

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! What a great little thrower with flexible battery options. LOTS of material covered in my in-depth review of this light including throw measurements with my new Sper Scientific NIST calibrated light meter. More written material to come but hit up this vid for now:

SPECS

UI - GENERAL & PRO MODES

THROW SUMMARY

STANDBY DRAIN

The standby drain with NiMh is so miniscule at 6μA so as to be truly inconsequential. With a LiIon cell, it's slightly more @ 18.4μA but again just as inconsequential.

RUNTIME

UPDATE 5/20: Manker disclosed that there is a hidden Engineering Mode that one can use to help match the Vf of the LED so as to prevent the pre-flash issues that occur on some units. Here's a vid on how to access that mode on the T01 as well as U11:

=======
Disclosure: T01 provided by Manker for review.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review! I love your technical approach to video reviews. Most other reviewers try to play down the technical stuff, presumably to cater to a YouTube audience. You, on the other hand, don't hold anything back.

Love it!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with KIL:
You might consider presenting a brief layout of the different segments of your thorough review of this interesting, capable flashlight. Some might be only willing to hear your conclusions, or see your beamshots, or UI, etc. If you were to let us know the time into the video when things like that were covered, it seems even more people might view your excellent work.

Regarding this flashlight: I can't help but wonder how ZebraLight feels about Manker getting one of their ZL SC5's pregnant... Cause that's what this flashlight looks like. (joke)

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at this YouTube review of the ZebraLight SC62w. It uses annotations to allow viewers to jump ahead. The banner across the top of the screen is almost like a table of contents.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx for the feedback guys!

@Kitro - Ha, the resemblance is definitely strong but people were saying that about Spark's lights when they were first released as well. The UI of the Manker is more advanced than the ZL's; I personally like it a lot but but understandably, some may prefer ZL's simpler interface.

@KIL, thx for the vid, I'll definitely do that. For now, I've added TOC's in the description but this is a much better, in-line approach.

Cheers,
Tim

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like this admittedly interesting Manker has 4 useable in the field, light modes, not counting blinky stuff. The ZL has 6 modes that are easily accessed. 6 programmable modes is enough for me, maybe 4 modes would be enough.

Some of us prefer screwed-on clips, others are fine with spring tension attachment of a clip.

How easy is it to check battery voltage? (I don't remember)

Is the Manker actually water-resistant? (Not all ZL's are!)

I also do not remember how this light copes with overheating; is it timed on turbo?

How reliable is warranty work or repair?

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like this admittedly interesting Manker has 4 useable in the field, light modes, not counting blinky stuff. The ZL has 6 modes that are easily accessed. 6 programmable modes is enough for me, maybe 4 modes would be enough.

Some of us prefer screwed-on clips, others are fine with spring tension attachment of a clip.

How easy is it to check battery voltage? (I don't remember)

Is the Manker actually water-resistant? (Not all ZL's are!)

I also do not remember how this light copes with overheating; is it timed on turbo?

How reliable is warranty work or repair?

I think 4 is more than sufficient under normal circumstances especially since you can program each level to space it out how you'd like. I did make a suggestion to them re: a true firefly mode. The 2 lms on NiMh and 1 on LiIon is still a bit bright especially since it's concentrated into a tight hotspot.

Battery indicator can only be accessed in Pro mode. Once in Pro mode, double-click to access strobe (with light on or off) then single click to cycle through s.o.s. > beacon > CC Turbo > battery indicator. Though not exactly the easiest to get to, it shouldn't be too hard once you familiarize yourself with the sequence.

Though they warn of serious heat running in Constant Current Turbo (Pro Mode) in their manual, based on my testing it wasn't really a concern with either NiMh or LiIon cells (max of 110F/111F respectively). The temperature for each are indicated by the dotted lines in my runtime chart in OP (in case you're not familiar with how it's graphed).

Can't say anything about the warranty work & repair since Manker is still relatively new.

Wendee

Enlightened
Excellent video review! When I saw it was 47 minutes long, I thought "I'll watch the first few minutes"...47 minutes later I was surprised it was over already, time flew by. Well done!

The flashlight is amazing! I have a Zebralight SC600 MkII on the way and I was going to order the Zebralight SC5 next but after seeing this Manker, I'll have to compare the two. The main advantage of the ZL SC5 (for me) is that it comes in neutral white but I'm thinking I can live with cool white considering how impressive this little Manker is. Decisions, decisions....

Thanks for posting this review :)

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Wendee - thx for the kind words, I should have the review of its big brother, the U11, up in the near future.