MMA on CPF

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
just wondering if there are any other MMA fans on CPF along with me. Or maybe you vehemently dislike it. Either way, speak up! I personally have been watching the sport since around 2007 or so (mainly UFC). what suprised me at first was how it wasnt nearly as violent as people make it out to be. sure, there are busted noses and cuts from time to time, but certainly far from "human **** fighting" as John McCain once referred to it as.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good idea for a thread. But, it may turn into a cage fight its self. :touche:

I like to watch MMA. I probably wouldn't qualify as a huge fan as I don't really know any of the peoples names.

But, I also used to LOVE wrestling as a kid. I knew it was fake early on, my dad ruined that for me. ha But, I still love boxing.

Cockfighting footnote: I am embarrassed to admit, I have been to several **** fights, before they were illegal. I don't think people would believe how serious these people are about it. However, I can see why they outlawed it. Not that it actually stopped it totally. To be honest, it was pretty brutal. I guess not as brutal as the Roman gladiatorial contests! I was young and dumb at the time. So it seemed ok and the gambling & booze was exciting to a young man. I would like to think I have matured now. When you're young, you're too naive to see the stupidity in things sometimes. Ironically, you think you know everything.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Sure, have been following it since the early Gracie UFCs in the 90s.

Long time martial arts instructor in several arts, was pretty well known in Calif. martial arts circles at one time, but these days mostly concentrate on practicing and teaching tai chi since it's better for me at my age (63).

Last edited:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
i remember me and my dad being over at his friend house sometime in the mid to early 90's. his buddy had a tape of a UFC event with who i think was Royce Gracie. the only thing i remember about it was the dude stomping on his opponents foot repeatedly when he was being held against the cage until the guy couldnt stand getting stomped on the foot anymore and eased off him before getting submitted. anyone got a favorite fighter? mine is nick diaz, but hes been semi-retired/suspended since 2012 or so with a fight every year and a half or so since. when he was at his peak as the strikeforce champion he was always great to watch.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I seem to recall the name but don't think I ever saw him fight. What did he get suspended for?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! Saw thread title, first thought: Oh, we're linking to particularly nasty arguments on CPF. :)

i remember me and my dad being over at his friend house sometime in the mid to early 90's. his buddy had a tape of a UFC event with who i think was Royce Gracie. the only thing i remember about it was the dude stomping on his opponents foot repeatedly when he was being held against the cage until the guy couldnt stand getting stomped on the foot anymore and eased off him before getting submitted. anyone got a favorite fighter? mine is nick diaz, but hes been semi-retired/suspended since 2012 or so with a fight every year and a half or so since. when he was at his peak as the strikeforce champion he was always great to watch.
I was really into the UFC in the 90s. Remco Pardoel was my hero.
http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Remco-Pardoel?id=

Dan Severn was just plain scary. I always thought the Gracie style was a bit wimpy, if not effective. Useless on more than 1 opponent.

Omega73

Newly Enlightened
I've always been a ufc fan since the first one to the latest ones.
Speaking of Dan Severn he lives in Fountain Hills AZ where i live too. I met him at the grocery store. I was standing there staring at the guy like a fool when he looked over at me. Naturally I thought i was going to die. So finally I went over to him and asked him if he ever had anyone tell him he looked like Dan Severn. He laughed so loud everyone looked at him. Then he introduced himself. I couldn't believe it. It was a great day. He still looks tough as hell.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
dang man, got one brewing in the M43 thread. absurdity abound over there right now!
Don't worry it has or will be chilled out. I'm not worried. :)

I've always been a ufc fan since the first one to the latest ones.
Speaking of Dan Severn he lives in Fountain Hills AZ where i live too. I met him at the grocery store. I was standing there staring at the guy like a fool when he looked over at me. Naturally I thought i was going to die. So finally I went over to him and asked him if he ever had anyone tell him he looked like Dan Severn. He laughed so loud everyone looked at him. Then he introduced himself. I couldn't believe it. It was a great day. He still looks tough as hell.

Heh! Cool story. Old Dan looked like he could fall over and crush someone. Never saw him lose a match, but then again I've never seen all of the UFC.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
with the UFC event coming up this weekend its hard to avoid the Ronda Rousey hype machine. In my opinion, the higher level women fighters throw down more than their male counterparts. at first i found it odd watching the women fight, but ive grown to appreciate it.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The single reason I used to watch the UFC was because they were tournaments; if you won your first fight of the night, you moved on to fight again later. Now, UFC fights are one and done. While arguably "more exciting" now, the argument could also be made that these current fighters could hold the jock straps of Big Dan and Royce as far as endurance and all night moxie that those guys had.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
The single reason I used to watch the UFC was because they were tournaments; if you won your first fight of the night, you moved on to fight again later. Now, UFC fights are one and done. While arguably "more exciting" now, the argument could also be made that these current fighters could hold the jock straps of Big Dan and Royce as far as endurance and all night moxie that those guys had.
the tournaments that prideFC used to have were amazing. i couldnt agree more that a one night tournament is awesome, but fighters these days dont seem to agree and also the athletic commissions arent big fans of it due to fighter safety.

It seems Rohnda Rousey hasn't viewed Rocky III, she has, however, lived it. At least the first 45 minutes wherein Rocky learns he isn't unbeatable. Rousey was taken out 59 seconds into the second round. :fail:
Perhaps she should have spent more time training than making movies. :oops: image.jpg

~ Chance

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I attended a match a long time ago (1960s) and it appeared to me it was a scripted act more than a competition. Haven't watched any since then.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Started watching around #3. Missed the first few. Yeah, back in the day when they were a winner takes all.
Missed last nights as i was still driving home after a road trip.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rousey got KO'd HARD. its weird that she is so popular among the general population, as she seems to be more of a heel to the more rigorous MMA fans. she has really developed some trollish behavior over the past couple years. the reaction of several of the female fighters after she got knocked out shows what her peers think of her.

LGT

Enlightened
I did enjoy watching UFC years ago. But while Dana White has done so much to make this a more popular sport, He's also turned it into what he thinks will make the most money "staged events."
He promotes some fighters way more quickly then their own skill levels will. The same fighters who were all the sensation quickly become obsolete when their fights don't bring in the cash. Mark Coleman and Brock Lesnar are just two that come to mind.

MrJino

Enlightened
UFC is a sport, not real fighting. Real fighting would have no rules or referee, like the street.
But it is entertaining at the least, which I give credit for. Though I'd never pay money to watch a fight, my buddy gets it streamed somehow.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did enjoy watching UFC years ago. But while Dana White has done so much to make this a more popular sport, He's also turned it into what he thinks will make the most money "staged events."
He promotes some fighters way more quickly then their own skill levels will. The same fighters who were all the sensation quickly become obsolete when their fights don't bring in the cash. Mark Coleman and Brock Lesnar are just two that come to mind.

Do you think Dana cried when GSP retired?
Then he jumped on the RR train. Those numbers from saturday were very impressive.