8. Bow and 6 arrows
9. Knife
10. Sharpening stone
512px-Vancouver_Island_Map-fr.svg.png

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Re: History Channel 'Alone' gear

Orbital could you give a bit of backround? Is it kind of a reality survival show? I'm not familiar...

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

Being completely alone , with nothing more than basic gear & knowledge,,,the guys I listed attempted to outlast the others
in the incessantly wet stormy weather of fall to early winter on Vancouver Island.

Extreme :caution::caution::caution::caution::caution:

The only thing they had extra were the cameras to record themselves,, and a sat phone to tap out.
$500K to who could survive the longest

markr6

Flashaholic

Just a suggestion: Before we go any further, let's make sure we don't spoil it by telling who won for those who haven't watched it yet.

I accidentally found out half way thru the season from another forum. It sort of ruined the last 5 episodes for me :(

I really enjoyed the show. I hope they do another season!

markr6

Flashaholic

I'm surprised everyone didn't choose the saw. I always take a small folder with me even when I'm backpacking and trying to keep the weight down.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

+
Being completely alone , with nothing more than basic gear & knowledge,,,the guys I listed attempted to outlast the others
in the incessantly wet stormy weather of fall to early winter on Vancouver Island.
Extreme :caution::caution::caution::caution::caution:
The only thing they had extra were the cameras to record themselves,, and a sat phone to tap out.
$500K to who could survive the longest
Lol! Don't know where they got the idea, but almost sounds as if they got it from an old Star Trek book, one of the final exams of Starfleet Academy... The Outlast.

A communicator only to be used for quitting, but they had phasers that shot paintballs. :) Tap out or tag out. :)

I like survival shows, but have long cut the cable and watch no TV. This sounds like a show I'd actually watch if I hooked my IV..er... cable back up.

The real question: Is it more like Les Stroud or more like Bear Grylls?

markr6

Flashaholic

The real question: Is it more like Les Stroud or more like Bear Grylls?

Definitely Stroud. Good solo camera work, feels like you're there. No BS really. Some guys were a little dramatic/cheesy, but mostly genuine from what I can tell. Not playing it up for the camera.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Definitely Stroud.
Cool, always appreciated his style more. AFAIK, he runs workshops on survival. The other guy just signed licensing/marketing deals. :(

Anyway, the question is raised: 10 items, survival situation, what would CPF pick?

Edit: OMG, nobody picked a flashlight! NOT ONE!! :(

1. Pak-lite 2 mode with Energizer ultimate lithium (can't believe nobody picked a flashlight)
2. Chinese military spade (functions as hatchet, saw, pick, chopping blade, there are demos of it preparing food)
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:chinese military shovel
3. Frogg Toggs raingear/outer layer
4. SOG Powerlock multitool (with file so we can touch up the spade.)
5. First aid kit (nobody picked this??! Really??)
6. 50ft 550 cord with assorted fish hooks (can use one of the core strands as dental floss and fish line)
7. Half gallon of everclear in a plastic container with metal cup tied over the cap (empty jug can be used for jug fishing, can be used for water purification, firemaking, and first aid)
8. Magnesium/ferro rod bar (the NSN one)
9. Contractor grade black super-heavy trash bag roll (ground cover, shelter component, gear raft, wash basin, water transport, water purification, fish trap, can be stuffed with leaves for additional warmth, plus 1 million other things)
10. Crawford Survival Staff (blowgun, fish spear, hiking staff, firemaking pipe, etc.) plus 50 razor broadhead darts (can be tethered with a core strand from the 550 cord for blowfishing.)
http://www.crawfordknives.com/SURVIVAL STAFF PAGE 1.htm

I'd be sitting pretty. :)

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic

Cool, always appreciated his style more. AFAIK, he runs workshops on survival. The other guy just signed licensing/marketing deals. :(

Anyway, the question is raised: 10 items, survival situation, what would CPF pick?

I know! Bow and arrows? No. Flashlight? Yes!

BTW, I don't doubt Grylls is a badass, but his show was definitely about marketing and entertainment.

snowman3

Newly Enlightened

Definitely Stroud. Good solo camera work, feels like you're there. No BS really. Some guys were a little dramatic/cheesy, but mostly genuine from what I can tell. Not playing it up for the camera.

Ditto. I liked Stroud's show better than Grylls. No idea what Stroud's background is... seems like neat guy. He played harmonica at Alice Cooper's Christmas Pudding concert. WTF?

All in all a neat show to watch.
Here's a list of items they could choose and prohibited. They did have a headlamp provided, but I wonder if they were allowed to use it when not filming?
There was option to have a LED light.

http://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/full-gear-list-and-prohibited-items

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

No idea what Stroud's background is... seems like neat guy. He played harmonica at Alice Cooper's Christmas Pudding concert. WTF?
Survival junkie, survival instructor, author of survival books, show host of a survival show, blues musician.

He plays guitar and harmonica.

They did have a headlamp provided, but I wonder if they were allowed to use it when not filming?
Guess they could cheat and use the camera light. Les Stroud mentioned this on his show, he said he felt it was cheating. :)

Lol, no explosives! :) Dynamite does not come to mind as a top survival item choice.

Prohibited items:
1. Fuel or matches
Not on their list, but everclear is a beverage and they didn't ban liquor. :)

5. beauty products of any kind
Huh? Lipstick is the last thing I want in a survival situation. Were they afraid of someone dying their hair in the field? Weird.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic

Haven't tried it, but if lipstick is like Chapstick at all, it makes for an awesome accelerant for firemaking. A chunk of chapstick worked into a cotton ball, puffed out nicely, is instant fire if you prep your tinder bundle and small kindling.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh, well that would work. Lipstick is mostly wax. I use it (seriously) to witness the lash of gears in engines and transmissions. Smear some on the gears, wave a propane torch over it, put gears together and see if they're meshing correctly. This leaves nice witness marks. It would work as firemaking, sure.

I just thought the "no beauty products" to be bizarre. Your peach pit exfoliant foot scrub is banned. No avocado mask, no hair curlers... :) Just kinda surreal...

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

Just to add;
these guys had vast distances between them , no lame group thing!

atla

Newly Enlightened

1. Pak-lite 2 mode with Energizer ultimate lithium (can't believe nobody picked a flashlight)
2. Chinese military spade (functions as hatchet, saw, pick, chopping blade, there are demos of it preparing food)
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:chinese military shovel
3. Frogg Toggs raingear/outer layer
4. SOG Powerlock multitool (with file so we can touch up the spade.)
5. First aid kit (nobody picked this??! Really??)
6. 50ft 550 cord with assorted fish hooks (can use one of the core strands as dental floss and fish line)
7. Half gallon of everclear in a plastic container with metal cup tied over the cap (empty jug can be used for jug fishing, can be used for water purification, firemaking, and first aid)
8. Magnesium/ferro rod bar (the NSN one)
9. Contractor grade black super-heavy trash bag roll (ground cover, shelter component, gear raft, wash basin, water transport, water purification, fish trap, can be stuffed with leaves for additional warmth, plus 1 million other things)
10. Crawford Survival Staff (blowgun, fish spear, hiking staff, firemaking pipe, etc.) plus 50 razor broadhead darts (can be tethered with a core strand from the 550 cord for blowfishing.)
http://www.crawfordknives.com/SURVIVAL STAFF PAGE 1.htm

I'd be sitting pretty. :)

you obviously have not read the gear list. There's no option for a trash bag, and one was not needed, since they just gave you a 20x20 tarp and a 10x10 tarp. There's no option for the booze, nor a cup. The walking stick is not an option. You can take a slingshot or a bow, that's it for weaponry. they give you a headlcamp and a light for the camera, so a flashlight is a wasted pick. So is a ferrorod, axe and big saw. Instead, take one of Cold steel's shovels, modfied to have a real saw edge, a Silky saw blade, to be held in the visegrip of a modified Crunch multi-tool. you'd starve in short order. You are stuck in a 5 mile radius of your drop off point and you have to film EVERYTHING that you do, (or get kicked off of the show). Both of those are horrible limitations. At that time of year, the only reliable carb source worthy of seeking out (on Vancouver) is juicing kelp. You want one of Chief Aj's sllingbows, with the 6 arrows, 4 of which have 4 tined fishing heads, which can swiftly become 32 fishhooks, care of the multitool. They give you raingear, so that's a wasted pick, too. by not taking the fishhooks and line, a PARCORD gillnet and PARACORD hammock (can be disassembled, and woven into 150m of 3" mesh netting, you are condemning yourself to losing a lb of body weight per day. When your BMI (checked weekly, randomly) falls below 17, you are pulled off of the show. The 25 hooks should be one regular hook, for use as a needle, and 8 treblehooks, best set for gulls and ducks, on small log rafts, using roasted cambium as bait, with a 3 lb drowning rock tied about a foot from each hook

atla

Newly Enlightened
You dont need to cut big timber, or burn a lot of wood. Green trees are not supposed to be cut on Vancouver. Just use a club or your bodyweight to break off dead lower limbs, or use the saw or the shovel. Keep your shelter portable and move it to where there's lots of squaw wood. Get the ground wood up on a drying rack, under a primitive roofing. Anyone who can't start a fire with flint and steel, or make a big McElroy pump drill, doesn't belong on this show. You can start your first fire with the batteries that they give you, and the fishhooks. cross them and the intersection will glow red hot in a seconds, enough to ignite a twist of lint from your wool socks. Cut a hunk of dead iimb, split it, and shave feathersticks out of the dry core. They will ignite from the burning lint. Once you have one fire, you can have charred punkwood and ashes ,and you can force-dry some tinder. your gaiters can be converted into dry bags, with the inner strands of the paracord, the fishhook/needle and the tape. Once you have this stuff, you can start fires with any pc of quartz or chert and any carbon steel tool

atla

Newly Enlightened

+

Just to add;
these guys had vast distances between them , no lame group thing!

no, they didn't. Some were as close as 3 miles apart, and none were more than about 10 miles apart. None were more than a few hundred meters from a road or a house. Vancouver island aint that big and it's got 300,000 people living there, google it.

atla

Newly Enlightened
they only had 3-10 miles between them. Vancouver is heavily populated. There's just not that much wilderness present. Larry Roberts said that they were restricted to a 5 mile radius of their drop-off points.

atla

Newly Enlightened
None have impressed me a lick, other than Dave McIntire, and then only in his last month. He found enough rope to make a gillnet and he found a way to trap crabs in the kelp beds. Everyone else lost at least 1/2 lb of bodyweight per day and most lost a lb per day. That means that they should have been catching another 8 lbs of fish and game every day, as well as juicing the 20 lbs of kelp per day.