Backup belt light

SecurityJeff

Newly Enlightened
Hi...new user here, although I've been reading for a while. I guess I just recently became a lover of quality flashlights (purchased a streamlight ultrastinger as my first one a few months ago) and now i'm looking for a nice, lightweight, most likely lithium powered flashlight that'll fit on my duty belt as a backup. Not looking to spend more than $75 or so, and i'd like something with a decent throw and beam.

Right now I'm looking at Pelican M6 (also comes with a holster, which is a plus), streamlight tl-2, or possibly surefire g2. Any suggestions for other lights with similar size/weight/price would be much appreciated, and comparisons between these lights would be great.

Main use would be backup light for night shift, unarmed security. The site I usually work is a 600 resident student housing complex, with a large parking lot with spotty lighting, dimly lit walkways, and a couple very dark areas behind buildings, etc. I usually find myself using my light to get peoples attention, either shining it at their window to get them to turn down loud music or shining it from a distance to stop somebody from doing something stupid or identify them if they decide to do whatever i'm trying to stop them from doing. I also use my light to check for parking permits mounted inside rear car windows, some of which are invisible at night without a bright flashlight if the windows are too deeply tinted. Thanks in advance for your input,

Jeff

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go $20.00 more and get the Streamlight Stinger. If you use it that much you will want a rechargeable. I like the Stinger because it is bright, throws far, and is recharged without taking the battery out.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I think I would have to agree.

A light used a lot (several hours a day or even over several days) would eat too many 123A Liths!

I generally dig my ARC AAA or Infinity Ultra out rather than use my EDC G2 for just that reason!

Actually, had I bought a Stinger (rather than the Stinger HP I did buy) I'd be likely to EDC it, because I could run it nearly free!

SAY... does anyone have a standard Stinger Head they aren't using???

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The Stinger HP is bright but you pay for that brightness with a very narrow beam.

The Pelican M9 rechargeable is brighter than the Stinger, approximately the same size and weight, with a wider beam than the Stinger HP and is priced competitively. It is another light that is worthy of consideration.

Brightnorm

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to say that a rechargeable is the way to go. If your set on a small light the Sureire G2 is an excellent back up. Of course the batteries are disposable so depending on use you could be spending a bit of cash.

I carry an expensive GL4 on my belt. Have an Ultrastinger in my car and also a G2 and G2Z. I'm waiting for a check to clear and will be getting a Surefire 3Z.

If you work nights you can never have too much light available

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Perhaps I am a voice in the wilderness here Jeff but I will have to disagree about buying another rechargeable.

Depending on use the Stinger will not be giving you more than 50-60 minutes of use at any one time, right? The need for a back up light seems therefore slightly ponderous due to the way you appear to be using the light.

Although now a paramedic I have plenty of experience in the military and civillian security fields and was always taught that low-level light(if necessary)is preferred when conducting a patrol due to 'giving away' your presence. Light is and should be used sparingly except when engaged in a force on force situation or to identify situations that would be too risky by close contact. The use of the Ultra Stinger seems a bit like overkill except when no option is available except to use it. IMHO for the type of work you are describing may I suggest that you use a meduim range LED type flashlight for most jobs and keep the UltraStinger for when you really must use a lot of light.

This way you can avoid having to lug around two Stingers on you (both with only about 2 hours use combined) and can keep your presence a little more covert. BTW if you are on a tight budget there are plenty of LED lights out there that are run on Lithiums,Alkalines or rechargeables. Alternatively why not just buy a couple of spare batteies for the Ultra always charged and ready to replace a run down battery.

Regards

Doug

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TL-2 is the smallest of those mentioned, has a removable belt clip, or can be holstered. The Scorpion is a tad larger with a clicky tail switch, which I prefer, and has an optional, duty-belt sized clip available, which I like too. 123 cells are small and easy to carry for additional, emergency, run time.

LEDs offer dependability and longer run time and may be bright enough but with less throw.

Quasar

Newly Enlightened
For carrying two lithium backups, the little orange cannisters from walmart work well. You'll find them in the camping section for under $1. The batteries do rattle a bit, but you can always add a little padding.

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd go for a Polystinger which is a bit lighter than a regular Stinger. Runtime is about the same as those 2x123 lithium lights and you can carry spare rechargeable sticks easily enough. There's a "piggyback" charger available that charges both the battery inside the light and an external spare at the same time.

Also, this is not a military situation with snipers etc. Security guards and LEO's normally WANT to be visible, since their very presence makes the bad guys behave themselves.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Paulr,

I have taken into account the type of job that Jeff does but(and it maybe because I'm a Brit)was taught that security is about detecting crime by being a deterrent. A deterrent in security terms is about preventing the bad guys knowing when you are about so that they can never be sure when to commit crime without fear of being caught. I'd never actually considerd snipers as being a risk to Jeff,but who knows now you mention it! However,I was also taught and here is the point of not advertising yourself, that if you can see the bad guys before they see you then there is a good chance you can call for assistance without having to place yourself in danger. Jeff did mention that he was unarmed? Also you have to take into account that organized criminals will watch out for security guards timings whilst he is on patrol. They often do this for days, if not weeks, before committing a crime where there are guards so that they can judge how long a patrol takes to go from A-B and how regularly patrols are mounted. If a pattern is established then they have the game all wrapped up!

Light can and does play a very real part in security and Law enforcement but for the normal type of security that Jeff does it sounds like he is used for low threat type work and I would have thought he was safer in his work by not being predictable or a high profile than the other way round.

I can only add that I served and did security for some considerable time and consider that my training was pretty good and the use of light was a part of that training even all those years ago.

Please dont take offense as none is intended, but obviously you are coming at this subject from a different angle.

Doug