black coating

mercrazy

Newly Enlightened
i want a black conformal coating, preferably flat black acrylic but i will try anything.
i can't find anything. anybody know where to get any black coating?
i've considered acrylic enamel auto paint. is it conductive or corrosive?
or is there a black non conductive pigment i could add to clear conformal coating? where to buy?
thanks

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe some black Plasti-Dip? I've used it to protect circuit boards from the environment with reasonable success.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
MG Chemicals makes a black epoxy potting compound. You could consider a thin layer conformal coat ... that will never ever come off. It is quite hard which can be an issue depending on what you are potting. There are black silicon potting compounds as well. Issue will be how much you need to buy. MG sells in relatively small batches.

hopefully not veering off topic much.. but I was wondering how good or reliable the MG Chemical products are. My experience in industry has always been with the Dow Corning, Emerson & Cuming, or Loc-tite pottings & encapsulants. These were rather pricey too, or at least seemed pricey for a bunch of goop. :)
I think I may have purchased a can of spray-on conformal coat a long time ago, and it was probably MG Chemical. I don't recall any problems with it.

mercrazy

Newly Enlightened
what is the difference in oil basied acrylic conformal coating and oil based acrylic enamel paint? i'm wondering if Humiseal and Dow ain't pouring it to us? i'm gonna try flat black acrylic paint on a few boards to see what happens.

Last edited:

mercrazy

Newly Enlightened
ib31 is what i've been using and it's oil based or you can't clean it with water. they supply oil based thinner for it and i clean up with the thinner or carb cleaner. i've probably sprayed 1000 gallons of humiseal on my other job. i programmed the sprayer.
i want a black coating for zero light reflection.
i've already coated a board with paint and tried it wet and dry and it worked either way. no change in current. nice thick coating and don't have to use black light to see what you're doing. i love it if it works. have to do a lot more testing. wish someone with experience would tell me why 'not' to use it.
thanks

mercrazy

Newly Enlightened
got some stuff called solder mask repair coating in black. it's real thick but was able to coat board with it. it cleans up with carb cleaner. i need something to thin it. i still think an oil/solvent based paint would work ok. the board i coated with Rustoleum oil based enamel is still working fine. i have dip coated boards with clear $20 a gallon, polyurethane made for wood floors and never had a problem. i think these conformal coating companies have a racket selling clear acrylic or polyurethane for $250 a gallon.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
hopefully not veering off topic much.. but I was wondering how good or reliable the MG Chemical products are. My experience in industry has always been with the Dow Corning, Emerson & Cuming, or Loc-tite pottings & encapsulants. These were rather pricey too, or at least seemed pricey for a bunch of goop. :)
I think I may have purchased a can of spray-on conformal coat a long time ago, and it was probably MG Chemical. I don't recall any problems with it.

I have been using the MG Chemicals conformal coatings for over a decade with excellent results (Cat # 422A-340g) Mostly for sealing speed controller PCB's. Never had an issue once properly sprayed and allowed to cure. Would work fine for the OP's need but doesn't meet his color requirement. At work I use several Scotchcast sealants that would meet his requirements but with such a limited shelf life he would have a hard time justifying the cost for a small project.

I'm guessing he could get by on flat black acrylic but there might be an issue with capacitance if the driver needs to be free from such. I doubt commercial paint would be 100% free of some small amount.

Last edited: