Quality Easily Accessible Switch Flashlight

Flashy808

Enlightened
Hi CPF :wave:,

I'm looking for my next quality (good branded) light.

My General criteria is:
A small but POWERFUL EDCable LED flashlight that has a easily accessible switch (perhaps a forward rear clicky?) but can still tailstand and is under $70~ being my maximum (I REALLY do NOT want to spend too much). I want the light to be run on common rechargeable batteries (ie. 18650, 14500, NiMH AA). Modes must include a true low moonlight mode (under 1 lumen) and a nice and bright high mode that can throw a decent distance. It would be highly preferred if it is a rear clicky because they are generally easier to access but that's just my though...
The flashlight must be from a quality reputable manufacturer and would be nice if it came with accessories like a holster etc.

Side Note: I unfortunately do not have a charger yet, so please take this into consideration when looking at the budget ($70~)
& suggesting something.

Any sugguestions are appreciated
:twothumbs.
Thank You!

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
__x__I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store.
__x__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
__x__Up to $70~
NOTE: I WANT A LIGHT VALUE FOR MY MONEY

3) Format:
__x__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
__x__TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
__x__SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
__x__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
__xx__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
NOTE: I WANT IT TO BE FROM A REPUTABLE MANUFACTURER

7) What power source do you want to use?
__x__I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
__x__I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
NOTE: RECHARGABLE OPTION WOULD BE PREFERRED BUT NOT ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY
__x__I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
__x__Lots of Light. Eg. 900+ Lumens

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
__x__Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
__x__Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light?
__x__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
__x__150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
__x__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
__x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
__x__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
__xx__I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
__x__I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
NOTE: WANT AN EASILY ACCESSIBLE SWITCH

13) User Interface (U
__x__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
__x__I want a programmable light.
__x__I don't care.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
__x__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
__x__I don't care.

15) Water resistance
__x__IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
__x__In house, Outside & Pockets

17) Special Needs/extras:
__xx__Pocket/belt clip NOTE: GOOD QUALITY POCKET CLIP IS IMPORTANT
__x__Holster
__x__Wrist/Neck Lanyard
__x__Crenulated bezel.

Again,
ANY suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks For Your Time
:thumbsup:,
Flashy808

Last edited:

tubed

Enlightened
I'd suggest the Olight S30 (~$50) or if you want to combine your needs the S30r ($76) with built in charger + battery.
small for an 18650 so, could be EDC . I love the UI. Has side switch near head, good pocket clip. My only problem is switch can be a bit hard to locate.
I had a (much more expensive) Zebralight s600 before (stolen) and like this as much or even more.

Flashy808

Enlightened
I'd suggest the Olight S30 (~$50) or if you want to combine your needs the S30r ($76) with built in charger + battery.
small for an 18650 so, could be EDC . I love the UI. Has side switch near head, good pocket clip. My only problem is switch can be a bit hard to locate.
I had a (much more expensive) Zebralight s600 before (stolen) and like this as much or even more.

Yes nice suggestions, I have had a look at the S30R because I quite liked the S15R (cheaper & smaller version) but the only thing is that I occasionally have trouble locating the switch too, especially when I'm in a hurry... If it wasn't for the pocket clip I would have absolutely no idea of where the button is. ;)

I REALLY want a ZebraLight but it's so expensive and I would be absolutely heat-broken if it was stolen (I'm so sorry to what happened to your, hope you caught that rotten criminal -give him a good 1000 lumen strobe, thatta teach him ;)).

I think I should at least get another cheaper light before I go to that extent as I don't even have a charger yet...

I like the idea of the S30R though (includes light, charger & battery :)).

Keep the Suggestions coming please! :)

Flashy808

Enlightened
Bump [emoji13]. Anything that you can easily find the switch without having to fumble around too much?

Flashy808

Enlightened
Get the olight and put a small piece of grip tape on either side of the button.:thumbsup: OR http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...for-grabs-**-New-Lights-added!!-discounts!!-* #31 fits your want (zebralight) and your budget!

Grip tape? Sorry I'm not too familiar with this could you elaborate? [emoji28]:)

Ahh yes that thread. very sad....
But nice idea though. Might as well help someone else while I'm at it. I'll have a think about it although I'm not that big on second hand things, especially stuff I take great care in. ;)

Flashy808

Enlightened
illumn.com still has some eagletac D25A Titaniums for $40.
They'll run on a single AA, or 14500 LiIon

I've had a nice look at the D25A but I really want something capable of higher outputs, much higher [emoji28]. The other thing I was unsure about was the EagleTac warning about using Li-ions in the light for extended periods of time.

But I really like the idea :). Maybe the 18650 D25LCS (or something?) what's the word on the street about that? Not much talk.

Thanks!

Flashy808

Enlightened
^^^ I'm going to keep tabs on the S30R but I don't really want another Baton. I want a button that is easier to access kind of like a rear clicky :).

The EA11 seems cool although I'll have to watch out for parasitic drain? Again, I'd prefer a rear clicky. But definitely a good suggesting. I forgot about that. :)

Flashy808

Enlightened
Bump :).

How fast can you whip out your EDC light? Which light can you whip out fastest and why?

Poppy

Flashaholic
I've had a nice look at the D25A but I really want something capable of higher outputs, much higher [emoji28]. The other thing I was unsure about was the EagleTac warning about using Li-ions in the light for extended periods of time.

But I really like the idea :). Maybe the 18650 D25LCS (or something?) what's the word on the street about that? Not much talk.

Thanks!
I have the D25A in Ti, and really like it. Many like it.
I have the D25A2 mini it is also a quality light. I took it to Jamaica, and it impressed my sister on the value of an EDC.
For a while it seemed that one of the most recommended lights was the D25LC2 clicky. I don't have one but can appreciate why it was so highly recommended.

Flashy808

Enlightened
I have the D25A in Ti, and really like it. Many like it.
I have the D25A2 mini it is also a quality light. I took it to Jamaica, and it impressed my sister on the value of an EDC.
For a while it seemed that one of the most recommended lights was the D25LC2 clicky. I don't have one but can appreciate why it was so highly recommended.

I appreciate the D25A but I would rather have something with more power as I have come to realise. I already have something that can put out 200~ lumens and want to try something brighter if you know what I mean :).

Poppy

Flashaholic
I only mentioned that I have the D25A and the D25A2 to make the point they are quality lights, and based in part on that fact, I expect the D25LC2 is also a quality light, being that you asked about it.

Flashy808

Enlightened
I only mentioned that I have the D25A and the D25A2 to make the point they are quality lights, and based in part on that fact, I expect the D25LC2 is also a quality light, being that you asked about it.

Thanks Poppy. I've quite commonly heard that they engineer some quality lights.

Another option I have considered is a MH20, any comments?

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option I have considered is a MH20, any comments?

A neutral-white version of the Nitecore MH20 is now available! Cool-white is also still available!

In his review of the MH20, CPF member selfbuilt measured output on low at 125 lumens. It is rated by Nitecore for only 50 lumens. Other modes also measured higher than expected. That affects runtimes, and also means that mode spacing is a little odd.

TurboHighMediumLowLower
Per Nitecore1000410230501
Per Selfbuilt9905903701251.0

As I do not own the MH20, I cannot recommend it from personal experience.

Flashy808

Enlightened
^^^ Thanks for the comments.

I must of accidentally skipped past that bit about the actual outputs, thanks KiL!
But that low mode is a real buster seriously. 125 on low!? Thanks goodness there is a moonlight. I'm just hoping it was just a faulty batch.

Raised concerns after looking at this?? http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?412685-Nitecore-MH20-gets-very-HOT!

Definitely will be convenient especially because then I won't have to buy a charger although I know that I will certainly end up getting one in the end...

Last edited: