3AA to D Cell converter/holder

Geode

Enlightened
Hello - does anyone know where I can get a device that holds 3AA batteries effectively converting the 3 batteries into a D sized cell? I would like to use these to power a D Cell flashlight.

Thanks!

Brock

Flashaholic
The electrolumens adapter make 4.5v from 3 AA cells in series in the same space as a D cell. Which might work for you, but I am also looking for a 3AA to D all in parallel, still 1.5. Still dreaming...

unclearty

Enlightened
I bought 2 of the Electro..... adapters. One stopped working all together last week. Pulled it out..replced the batteries..nothing. Using my multimeter, I found that the brass rivet that holds the bottom spring to the negative pole had very high resistance. Carefully using some flux and solder, I managed to bridge the brass rivet to the nickle plated conatct and spring. Now my light is even brighter than the other adapter. I'll have to solder that one , too.

jtice

Flashaholic
Wow, those look really nice.
Wish there were series though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
MIGHT be able to rewire them to series.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.myrolypoly.com/users/4AA_D/open_project.html

This fellow made them both in series or parallel. He sold out a few here on the forum awhile back but doesn't do it anymore. They are 4AA to 1 D. I got two and put one in my 3 cell Mag. Turned it into a 5 cell and breathed some new life into it. Did the same to a 2 cell turning it into a 5 cell, only draw back is less run time.

Funny watching those guys that swear by the Mag and nothing else [we here refer to them as "uninformed persons"] scratch their heads wondering why my 2 cell is brighter than their 4 cells!
I may try out the 123 adapter to give new life to some old lights I don't use anymore.

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
doubleganger said:
here's a 4AA parallel to D adapter for $3 each. I haven't tried one but am about to order two right now.
http://www.aventrade.com/baad.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm jealous. I can't get four AA cells to fit my black 2D Mag even without a holder. Others, however, have had no problem getting 4 AA cells into their D Mags. It's close, but no cigar on mine. I've thought about putting the Mag in boiling water (wrapped up of course) and freezing the cells. That might work. But if it did, I'm not sure how happy I would be when it came time to take the cells out.

doubleganger

Enlightened
I can only speak from what I've read here, but my understanding is that the dimensions of the batteries themselves can vary enough that some brands might fit while others would not. I've also read here that the inside diameter of the mags can vary too. I even read on one thread where someone used a brake hone to increase the inside diameter of the light just enough to make them fit. Not an issue for me as I think the light I plan to use the adapter in has pleanty of room.

jtice

Flashaholic
Yep. all true.

For example, Duracells will fit in most D mags,,, my rechargables wont.

The newer mags are also smaller ID to decreases battery rattle.

Drives me nuts, we are talking like .5mm from working. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Yea, I have a really oooooold Mag 3D and it's huge inside. Can't use a Hotlips, way too loose, and the batteries rattle badly. But I bet that adapter would fit real nice.

I tried 3x123 cells side-by-side and it _almost_ fit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I was thinking that with a little boring they would fit. Would be cool to do a "shorty" with a 123 length body. But I don't have the tools to do the machine work... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

LightScene

Enlightened
Elektrolumens will soon be selling a new version of the 3-to-D holder which won't need to be modded to eliminate resistance.

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LightScene said:
Elektrolumens will soon be selling a new version of the 3-to-D holder which won't need to be modded to eliminate resistance.

[/ QUOTE ]

V2 of the 3-to-D are now available; I just ordered some.

As for me not being able to stuff 4 Maha Powerx 2200mah cells into my Mag 2D, it looks like I've lost out to standard tolerances. Looking at three different data sheets, it appears an AA cell's diameter is spec'd at 14mm, +/- .5mm. The pic shows a Varta Alkaline on the left, 13.9mm dia. of which I can fit four in with no problem. On the right is the Powerx NiMH, measured right at the max. of 14.5mm - too big for my Mag. (I do like the suggestion of using a brake cyclinder hone - I can't be fighting much more than .010" here).
2Big.jpg

Latest posts