Mag 6D mod: Osram 64291 candidate as a good bulb?

Starflex

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

Old time lurker, random poster.

I just got my Mag 6D (I love it... we may argue that it is outdated, heavy and obsolete all together, but I just love it!) and thinking about some mod.

I have a decent number of decent 18650 cells that I can use (Panasonic), and potentially I can try to squeeze 6 of them (with shims) inside the flashlight. If they are too long, I may be looking for 32600 cells. With 6 x 3.6v (nominal) I would have 21.6V

Bulb: what about the Osram 40W - 64291 HIR (1200 Lm) ? It is a 22.8V that should work quite well with 6 Li-Ion cells.

It is a G6 module that I can install (probably) in the Mag-Num star II module (with some mod).

Does it make sense ?

PS: glass and aluminum reflector as a must.

Starflex

Newly Enlightened
Hi Fivemega,

A couple of reasons.

22.8V would work pretty well (I suppose) with the battery in terms of voltage. Probably, it will work better than a 24 bulb (although slightly overdriven).

40W (perhaps it will be a bit more once overdriven) would lead to less that 2 Amps / around 2 Amps of current. It means, I will still have a decent run time with the batteries and I will not be pushing the cells too hard. Furthermore, it will not require (I suppose) any mod to the switch, that will handle 2 Amps without too much trouble (I think).

1200 Lm (at standard voltage) is a decent output for the torch.

The bulb (at nominal voltage) has a decent lifespan.

Your call ? I am not an expert at all, that was the rationale behind it but, again, I am not an expert at all :)