*New* MecArmy SGN3 keychain light

Dubois

Enlightened
MecArmy's product development team seems to be busy at the moment. Hot on the heels of their neat little series of IllumineX 10180 lights (available in lots of different finishes, including titanium, stainless steel and copper) comes another keychain light - the SGN3 (standing, I believe, for "Signal". This is available in 4 colours - black, green, grey and sand. MecArmy kindly send me a sample following a long online chat I had with them about my IllumineX light.

From MecArmy's spec:

LED CREE XP-G2
Reflector SMO
Max Output 160 lumens
Max Run Time 6 h
Max Beam Distance 40m
Max Beam Intensity 410cd
Battery 280mAh
Length 59mm/2.323in
Height 10mm/0.394
Width 23mm/0.906in
Weight 38g/1.34oz
Accessories Manual, O-ring, Keyring, Lanyard

P1000226_zpsn17wnm1k.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is a flat light with a side switch operating three LEDs. The main (centre) white light is provided by a XP-G2 emitter. Two side LED's give red, and UV.

P1000227_zpsotfcpahi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It is powered by a 280mAh lithium polymer battery that can be recharged with a standard USB mini cable. Charging takes 90 minutes, and, according to my usb meter, started at 0.19A and completed when the charging indicator light in the flashlight changed from red to green after 75 minutes.

Any similarities to the Nitecore Tube stop at the shape. This is in an altogether different league. It is a sturdy die cast alloy, and feels substantial in the hand. It has a "real" LED, outputting up to 160 lm according to spec. The switch is firm, and I've had no accidental activations (unlike with the Tube) The XP-G2 LED has three modes (M 50lm -L 5lm - H 160lm), and gives a clean, white light, with no obvious tint. The red is a surprise, as it too gives a reasonably regular shaped beam. I only have one other light with a red led - the Jetbeam TCR-10, and that has a horrible red (and blue) light. The UV output is quite low, but works OK if the room is very dark. I'm pleased to report that my two dogs behave themselves in my absence.:sssh:

P1000225_zps96j5f7xq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Apologies for the poor photos - I'm having problems with my camera.

Dubois

Enlightened
Looks solid. UI?

If you want to use it as a standard White LED light, it's simply quick click for medium, click again for low, click again for high. Click again for OFF.

You can cycle through White, UV and Red, by holding the switch and releasing on the colour you want. The Red has a flashing signal mode, activated once you are in the Red mode by another click.

It is indeed a solid little light, and is really growing on me.

@kreisl - Yes, it beats the Tube hands down in my opinion. A much nicer beam (no having to shield my eyes from the protruding Tube led); no accidental activations; brighter and with UV and Red light too.

Oddly enough I replaced the blue Tube on my keys with a IllumineX, and now have the dilemma of whether to replace it with the SGN3. Heavier than both, but very tactile, and a joy to play with.:)

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered it and will do a small review when it arrives...

I might do a comparison review of the new FourSevens light (likely called "Navi") and the NiteCore Tube...

:sold:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
This looks great! I hope it lives up to it's price point. I have so many keychain lights I'll wait for some real life usage reviews.

I own the Tube and I love it, and I also have the TubeVN, which I use sparingly because it is of a 28-minute capacity (though I recharge each every day-- hey, I'm a flashaholic! :naughty:)

I ordered the MecArmy light, although I wish I could have seen some beam shots of any kind, because its battery capacity is huge! And if the crap ever hits the fan (actually, WHEN it does), this light will come in handy. I wear the tube on an inconspicuous lanyard around my neck most times, especially at night.

Of course, I won't tie up this thread with the lights in my jeans pockets, LOL!

- LetThereBeLight!

Dubois

Enlightened
I ordered the MecArmy light, although I wish I could have seen some beam shots of any kind, because its battery capacity is huge!

- LetThereBeLight!

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the beam. Nice tint {no green), no artifacts, quite floody. Although heavier than the Tube, it's an altogether better light, with a much superior build.

@7histology - yes, just the single side switch. I've been carrying it in my jeans pocket for nearly a week (on it's own, not with my keys), with no accidental activations.

Danielsan

Enlightened
nice light but the capacity is to low for me as an EDC. The XP-G2 need more than 280mah to be used an EDC, will be empty pretty fast. Such a light would be nice if it would have like 800mah.

Dubois

Enlightened
nice light but the capacity is to low for me as an EDC. The XP-G2 need more than 280mah to be used an EDC, will be empty pretty fast. Such a light would be nice if it would have like 800mah.

I suppose everyone's use will be different, but I've been playing with the SGN3 for about a week now, and it's still on it's first charge. For this type of keyring light, that is good enough for me. If I need more light, for longer, I'll use a bigger light. Horses for courses.

Dubois

Enlightened
I received my new (British) Passport yesterday. I had a look at it using the UV light from the SGN3. Wow! Who needs Christmas tree lights?

The passport lights up under UV, revealing all sorts of intricate design marks, and hidden words. I don't see how a fake of this passport could fool anyone who knows what to look for with a UV light (I believe the SGN3 is a 365nm emitter) .

rje58

Enlightened
I just got one of these yesterday - very pleased with it so far. I will be using it every day so I expect it will be well tested before too long.