Recommend me a host

Billt79

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Recently, for a project of mine, i have decided to design my own driver from scratch, and getting custom PCBs, and doing the SMD assembly myself. I intend to fit a 6A capable driver in a C8 sized host, to drive a single XML2 U4, on a noctigon PCB. I have the driver schematic mostly completed, and aim for the highest efficiency, and least heat dissipation as possible, although its not looking cheap. I am aware there are several drivers out there, and have used some piggybacked 105cs, but they were getting very hot, and couldn't really give me the current i wanted either. I am making this driver, more for fun than anything else.

Anyway, fitting all the circuitry i would like onto a 17mm PCB is difficult, and i have got a version of a driver on there, but it has a few too many compromises for me to really want to go ahead with it. What i was wondering, is if there are any hosts that can fit a 23mm driver, that use 18650s, and are similar in size to a C8. This is mainly because the light will either be scope mounted, or on my Bike, and i would rather not have a large amount of bulk or weight. If this isn't possible, one with a good amount of height above the driver would be ideal, then i can stack PCBs

If anyone is interested by the features of the driver, they are as follows;
-Thermal monitoring of the LED ( mainly so i can do a mode for peak effciency)
-Constant current regulation from 0.1A-6A in 100mA steps
-Constant voltage regulation (should be in 20mV steps)
-custom modes from MCU and all the standard stuff like memory, low battery voltage detection.
-Boost mode with decent batterys should be able to drive LED @ 5a, or a Vf of 4V from 2.8v minimum.
-aiming for minimum of 90% efficiency at full load, should be more though
-Hoping to make a version to run a G2

Also thinking of making the board a snap off, and making my own version of a switch, but with a MOSFET instead.

tillylamp

Newly Enlightened
you can buy a larger turbo head which may have more driver room for many lights. so i guess if you want a c8 then hunt down a turbo head with the same thread.