Anzo vs Recon vs Spyder vs ?? Replacement LED tail light assembly-Advice needed Pleas

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I did some searches, and surprisingly very little info here of CPF!

I have a 2015 GMC Sierra, and it did NOT come with LED tail lights, and I would like to replace them with LED tail lights, for safety reasons.

I want to replace the entre assembly, but would consider replacing the bulb only, if there was a good LED option.

As we all know, LED's are "instant on @ full brightness" whereas Incandescents have that "millisecond delay", and also LED's are brighter, and keep their brightness much longer than incandescents.

So, any suggestions as to what brand to consider, or not consider? Not looking for "bling", looking for a "better - brighter than OEM" replacement.

I already added this:
Hitch Cover LED Brake Light Towing Hitch Insert (2' Standard Size)

Thanks,
BuddTx

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search again. There's a lot of information here.
I would like to replace them with LED tail lights, for safety reasons.I already added this:
Hitch Cover LED Brake Light Towing Hitch Insert (2' Standard Size)
You want LED lights "for safety", but then you add that kind of junk to your vehicle? Adding that may well have worsened your safety-- remove it at once. It's clearly not a CHMSL, being that it's missing the "HM" part, and that's just for starters.

All these "brands" you listed (Anzo, Recon, Spyder) are all just terrible junk that have no place on your vehicle or in any civilized nation. Yes, it's true that LEDs have a fantastic, nearly instantaneous rise time, but that's not the be-all, end-all for lighting safety.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic

That is because the products you're asking about are not legitimate, effective, safe, or legal. They are playtoys...trinkets for kids (of any age) who think their vehicle's lights are fashion accessories instead of life-safety equipment. If you are trying to optimize the safety performance of your vehicle's lighting system, Chinese aftermarket trinkets of any description and any brand are definitely not the way to go. That includes all three brands you mention. None of them are legitimate lighting companies; they don't do any optical engineering, they apply fraudulent safety certification and approval markings to their lights, and even those lights that do actually conform to the safety standards tend to give poorer performance and durability than the original-equipment lamps.

It is definitely not categorically true that "LEDs are brighter" than bulbs, and it is not true that any LED retains its intensity longer than any incandescent bulb (some do, some don't), nor is it true that LED lamps are brighter than incandescent lamps (some are, some aren't).

I have a 2015 GMC Sierra, and it did NOT come with LED tail lights, and I would like to replace them with LED tail lights, for safety reasons.

LED tail lamps are not necessarily safer than incandescent ones. Yes, it's true that LEDs are instant-on, but that doesn't mean any LED taillamp is automatically better/safer than any bulb-type taillamp. The basic performance characteristics of the lamp -- peak intensity, intensity distribution, intensity ratio, intensity maintenance with prolonged operation, visible angular range, and physical aspects of durability -- are more important to safety than whether the brake lights come on instantly (LED) or in 200 milliseconds (bulb).

So, any suggestions as to what brand to consider, or not consider? Not looking for "bling", looking for a "better - brighter than OEM" replacement.

As with headlamps, virtually all of the aftermarket taillamps on the market are toys/junk that will degrade the safety performance of your truck's lighting system rather than enhancing it. You are safest by leaving the stock lamps in place.

As for that trailer hitch light: it's probably not posing a safety hazard, but it's not going to significantly improve your safety, either. It looks like you tend to bite on the advertising/promotional babble that accompanies aftermarket lights (not meant as a criticism; most people do when they don't know any better -- advertising works!) so be aware that you could fill at least one of the Great Lakes with all the garbage marketed as "safety improvements" for vehicle lighting. Gadgets that flash/blink/"pulse"/strobe the central brake light, gadgets that keep the (useless) fog lamps lit with the high beams, all kinds of "LED bulbs" that don't work safely, etc.

Last edited:

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search again. There's a lot of information here.

Thanks Alaric,
Respectfully, no, there is not a lot of info on CPF. I searched the "Automotive, Motorcycles Included" forum, and found 23 threads that have the word "TAIL" in the subject line.

Only 5 threads had anything remotely close to referencing actual replacement or discussion of Tail light assemblies.

I am very open to any posts you may be aware of, please reference any threads that you think may be helpful.

All these "brands" you listed (Anzo, Recon, Spyder) are all just terrible junk that have no place on your vehicle or in any civilized nation. Yes, it's true that LEDs have a fantastic, nearly instantaneous rise time, but that's not the be-all, end-all for lighting safety.

When looking at Amazon and Truck and Auto web sites, these are the 3 brands that I see.

CPF members have traditionally been very informed, so I appreciate your comment that these brands are "junk". I am absolutely trying to stay away from "bling".

If you are aware of any info that I could reference, I would greatly appreciate it.

Like you, I dislike seeing posts from people that do not use the search function before asking a question, most of the time I can usually find an answer to whatever I am looking for (not just on CPF, but anywhere on the internet) by doing searches, or within a discussion group, using the search function.
Thanks,
Bruce

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you been rear ended often? Is that why you are dissatisfied with your tail lamps?

Doesn't GMC have an LED tail lamp as an option on their higher trim trucks? You could get that from the parts dept.

Last edited:

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is because the products you're asking about are not legitimate, effective, safe, or legal. They are playtoys...trinkets for kids (of any age) who think their vehicle's lights are fashion accessories instead of life-safety equipment.

. . .

It is definitely not categorically true that "LEDs are brighter" than bulbs, and it is not true that any LED retains its intensity longer than any incandescent bulb (some do, some don't), nor is it true that LED lamps are brighter than incandescent lamps (some are, some aren't).

LED tail lamps are not necessarily safer than incandescent ones.

. . .

As with headlamps, virtually all of the aftermarket taillamps on the market are toys/junk that will degrade the safety performance of your truck's lighting system rather than enhancing it. You are safest by leaving the stock lamps in place.

Thanks Virgil, good info.

I agree with your comments, that is why I posted in CPF before making a purchase.

As for that trailer hitch light: it's probably not posing a safety hazard, but it's not going to significantly improve your safety, either. It looks like you tend to bite on the advertising/promotional babble that accompanies aftermarket lights (not meant as a criticism; most people do when they don't know any better -- advertising works!) so be aware that you could fill at least one of the Great Lakes with all the garbage marketed as "safety improvements" for vehicle lighting. Gadgets that flash/blink/"pulse"/strobe the central brake light, gadgets that keep the (useless) fog lamps lit with the high beams, all kinds of "LED bulbs" that don't work safely, etc.

Again, good comments, thanks.

I thought that the trailer hitch light is redundant, and not replacing any existing tail lights, so I did not think it would hurt. It is made of plastic, but is very bright, and when you look at my incandescent vs the trailer hitch light. Also, the "instant on" vs the "ramp up" of the incandescent is very noticeable

As you and Alaric just said, there is a lot of "junk Bling" out there, and I do not want to replace my fully engineered, factory OEM lighting with some "crud" just because it is LED, hence the reason for the OP.

Thanks,
BuddTX

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you been rear ended often? Is that why you are dissatisfied with your tail lamps?

Doesn't GMC have an LED tail lamp as an option on their higher trim trucks? You could get that from the parts dept.

Just trying to avoid a rear end collision! My last truck lasted 15 years, and I was 3 years away from purchasing a new Truck, until my truck was vandalized, and my insurance totaled out my 2001 GMC Sierra.

Yes, GMC does make LED lights on the Denali, and the SLT models, but from what I have read on the truck forums, they are over a thousand dollars.

While expensive, it sounds like that may be the way to go (LED OEM replacement)

Thanks.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Well, sooner or later someone's going to get hit/totalled in one of those Denali/SLT models. It's probably already happened. You might try keeping your eyes open on www.car-part.com .

What's really too bad is that there's no easy way to add yellow (amber) rear turn signals instead of red ones on that truck, ref here.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
…..All these "brands" you listed (Anzo, Recon, Spyder) are all just terrible junk that have no place on your vehicle or in any civilized nation...

From another forum:

"...The performance lighting offered by SPYDER Auto are compliant with all applicable federal regulations such as D.O.T and compliant to FMVSS code no. 108 and are not only ISO-9000 certified but also ISO-9002 certified as well, unless stated otherwise . As further proof of our regulation compliance, all SPYDER Auto products are also approved by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). State and local laws may vary…"

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4032327/2

I am certainly not a lighting expert, but that claim from Spyder Auto sounds bogus to me, especially the references to ISO and SAE.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I am certainly not a lighting expert, but that claim from Spyder Auto sounds bogus to me, especially the references to ISO and SAE.

You're correct. Totally bogus. There is no such thing as "FMVSS code no. 108". Products cannot be "ISO-9000 certified" or "ISO-9002 certified". There is also no such thing as the Society of Automotive Engineers; that industry group renamed itself SAE International over a decade ago, and it's never "approved" auto parts or anything else. And the sloppy grammar and syntax makes this mess look like it was written by a 6th grader...or maybe (no, couldn't be!) someone for whom English is very difficult.

(Ah, yes, of course, there it is, that "State and local laws may vary" disclaimer...)

Last edited:

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened
"...The performance lighting offered by SPYDER Auto are compliant with all applicable federal regulations such as D.O.T and compliant to FMVSS code no. 108 and are not only ISO-9000 certified but also ISO-9002 certified as well, unless stated otherwise

Personally, I won't buy anything that isn't at least UL code 110 certified and USDA approved.

JMSinMD

Newly Enlightened
To reiterate they (Anzo, Eagle Eyes, TYC, Recon, Spyder, Depo, etc) all seem to be based out of Taiwan and are flooding the US market with absolutely subpar products. Even at 1/5 of the cost of OEM they are not worth it. Having had the 'pleasure' of buying a set of EE aftermarket headlights I can tell you that no money was spent on the optics, the beam pattern was all over the place and even after aligned properly (using a machine that is required for state inspection) they still glared into oncoming traffic.

As mentioned above, either leave it stock or upgrade to OEM. It's not worth the time, money or aggravation otherwise. I've contacted the DOT, NHTSA, etc about my issue and nobody cares. I'm still working with EE to try to get my money back for the install and alignment, I'm halfway there, to me it's the principle, not the money.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
To reiterate they (Anzo, Eagle Eyes, TYC, Recon, Spyder, Depo, etc) all seem to be based out of Taiwan

...if you're lucky. Most of this rubbish comes from mainland China, which is much worse.

I've contacted the DOT, NHTSA, etc about my issue and nobody cares.

What office did you contact?

I'm still working with EE to try to get my money back for the install and alignment, I'm halfway there, to me it's the principle, not the money.

I hope you succeed!