Do flashlights with more than one button confuse you or slow you down in an emergency

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
?? :sweat: ??

... or do you like flashlights with just one simple button that does everything? :confused:
I kind of hate to say it, but I'm more of a one button guy. All I have to do is to stab one button and can access all functions from there. :party:

On the other hand, lights with a tailcap button will many times have a memory mode so as soon as you click it you can instantly be in turbo mode or something like that. The only thing is, I don't know of many lights where it comes on in strobe mode on the first click (with any button).... and strobe is what you'd want to use in a panic situation. There isn't much time to be toggling different buttons to get there.

What do you think?

ven

Flashaholic
For me its about learning the UI of a particular light,be it single or more button UI. Spending a few mins with a light then changing to another etc etc etc can certainly cause me issues. So i have dedicated lights for specific purposes and tend to limit any mode issues.

Now and then i may be on the receiving end to the odd strobe:ohgeez:

In general i dont like too many modes,definitely dont like modes that you have to go through to get back to low without memory. Ones basically where you have to cycle through a strobe............usually cheap lights! Hidden disco modes is a must for me due to not needing that mode. Instant highs and lows is always bonus though.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to lean towards one button. The dual button ones that have the two small vs one large are hard to find in a hurry. This is especially true with gloved hands. I have sissy hands, so I always have gloves on. ha

One of the worst offenders I have encountered is the Klarus RS20. It has dual buttons with a wacky push and hold UI. It was maddening to use. Glad it was a passaround. Then, I found out the light has some sort of bug. But I am not sure if it was a bug, or just a wacky UI design. Then there is the NiteCore EC11. This light is a pleasure to use. Two Buttons are small, but they improved them over the older Explorer models. They were flat and hard to feel, the newer design is a raised rubbery button. I don't have much of a problem feeling them out. So, I am ok with it.

So to sum it up. I prefer a single button, but I do own some dual button lights and enjoy using them. Like ven says, you gots to learn dem.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Coast lights with strobe have it as setting #2.

I like that. It's why their HP7 tac model is my 'emergency' light.

There is certainly a niche for the geek lights. They're like a sports car. Fun to have and a thrill to use.

But for emergency use the most practical flashlight is the one closest to you.
If you ever think there is ever a chance to need a flashlight in an emergency situation, it's probably best to have an extremely reliable single mode light with momentary in your pocket (or at arms reach) no matter where you go.

Last edited:

adnj

Enlightened
I can speak to being half asleep and being in an emergency:

Just waking up, anything that can potentially start at Turbo level is a no-no. Memory function, programmable, whatever. If you own one light or use one UI it may work but I don't so it doesn't work for me. Start from low. On multi button lights, mag control rings, I still need it to start on low.

In an emergency (like the car just went off the road) a single button is a blessing. If it goes to high by pushing hard on the button, even better. Because sometimes all you have is one free hand that doesn't work too well.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Sometimes I pick lights which I haven't used in ages and I need to spend two minutes messing with it just to refamiliarise myself. One button or two I think I'd struggle with some of my less used lights. Otherwise twisty head fenix eo5 or olight i3s is usually what I'd pick up instinctively

mpainter

Newly Enlightened
I've been gone for a few years but still my favorite interface is a switch and a dial.
This allows setting the level before or after turning on the light and it is a half second to go from full on to the lowest setting.
The two button comes close if it allows low, high, memory setting with the proper push.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Define "emergency".

If you're saying self defense type scenario, then I agree that a single mode button press is ideal.

If your emergency is a power outage, flooding, tornado relief, etc, then I would say multiple modes is preferred in case you need bright lumens for a few minutes, then ultra long runtime on low.

I will say that I often have to describe how to use my E1B and P2X Fury to anyone I might lend it to for a few minutes. Some people get it, others don't. For handouts I'd say moderate, single level output is best. That way you don't have someone confused by multiple modes, and they don't run a light with extreme output for too long and risk frying the cells or light itself.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
I can speak to being half asleep and being in an emergency:

Just waking up, anything that can potentially start at Turbo level is a no-no. Memory function, programmable, whatever. If you own one light or use one UI it may work but I don't so it doesn't work for me. Start from low. On multi button lights, mag control rings, I still need it to start on low.

Yeah, that's a good point. This morning it was still dark and I turned my Fenix PD25 on which was set on high mode to look for something that fell on the floor .... holy crap that is a blindingly bright 550 lumens, especially against a white tile floor! My eyes weren't ready for that. :ohgeez: The nice thing about that light is just one button turns it on with whatever mode you last used, so you can preset it.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forgot to add this thought to my post above. I keep a Surefire A2-YG Aviator as my nightstand light, which most likely would be used in a middle of the night emergency. It has two benefits: long running low output mode, and tactical-level output on high mode. In my home, this is perfect for night time navigation without ruining my night adapted vision, and also gives me the ability to light up a threat if needed. Both outputs are available instantly without having to "click through" modes.

I have lights with lower outputs, longer runtimes, and brighter high outputs, but none of them are a jack of all trades like the A2.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those of us who work daily with flashlights it is not exactly rocket science to be fluent in quality flashlight interfaces.

My flashlights fall into three major categories: First is an Eagletac D25 Clicky always in a pocket, second is a carry light which these days is a Fenix FD40 or PD40, and third category is a high output Nitecore TM26. Category three is used on when specified.

All of these lights I use frequently to be in muscle and tactile memory. People who only use a flashlight infrequently or for only emergency use are in a different category than people who write on this forum.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
People who only use a flashlight infrequently or for only emergency use are in a different category than people who write on this forum.

And those people get D cell single mode maglites handed to them when SHTF LOL

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
And those people get D cell single mode maglites handed to them when SHTF LOL
I certainly would hope that those handing out D cell Maglights would have stored the alkaline batteries outside of the flashlight.;)

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you remove buttons, you must add complexity by Easter Egg hiding hidden controls. This is a fact of life: the simpler the design, the harder it is to learn how to use something. Do I double click, long click, long click over 8 seconds, do I tap with one, three, or two fingers, how hard do I need to tap, does tapping super fast or hard do something different, where on a plain screen can I tap (maybe 15 times) to become a developer, do I shake the device(up down/side to side/in or out), how fast do I shake it, wobble it, just twist it? And, if none of the above, how can I hack the device to get it to do something simple that has been done for years (like get a command line to automate and launch things without graphical shortcuts)?? Now, I got a five hour road ahead to do something simple that was taken out, for a cleaner design.

Again, you can't make anything simple without breaking features and making it harder to use. Period. That is why you can offer "Beginner" "Intermediate" and "Advanced" toggle switch in the interface. This makes all things easy, but not overwhelming for newbies. For soft things, at least.

Last edited:

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
For those of us who work daily with flashlights it is not exactly rocket science to be fluent in quality flashlight interfaces.

My flashlights fall into three major categories: First is an Eagletac D25 Clicky always in a pocket, second is a carry light which these days is a Fenix FD40 or PD40, and third category is a high output Nitecore TM26. Category three is used on when specified.

All of these lights I use frequently to be in muscle and tactile memory. People who only use a flashlight infrequently or for only emergency use are in a different category than people who write on this forum.

True, if you use them everyday they would certainly become second nature. I guess the only thing that messes me up is the timing on some lights to access strobe. Tap two or three times, or twist so many times or whatever.... I don't play around with them often enough.

Yeah, I like that Eagletac D25 .... that's a nice light for EDC.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
If you remove buttons, you must add complexity by Easter Egg hiding hidden controls. This is a fact of life: the simpler the design, the harder it is to learn how to use something. Do I double click, long click, long click over 8 seconds, do I tap with one, three, or two fingers, how hard do I need to tap, does tapping super fast or hard do something different, where on a plain screen can I tap (maybe 15 times) to become a developer, do I shake the device(up down/side to side/in or out), how fast do I shake it, wobble it, just twist it? And, if none of the above, how can I hack the device to get it to do something simple that has been done for years (like get a command line to automate and launch things without graphical shortcuts)?? Now, I got a five hour road ahead to do something simple that was taken out, for a cleaner design.

Again, you can't make anything simple without breaking features and making it harder to use. Period. That is why you can offer "Beginner" "Intermediate" and "Advanced" toggle switch in the interface. This makes all things easy, but not overwhelming for newbies. For soft things, at least.

Very good point!! Some lights have a LOT of funtions and really no way to do it all with one button. Hey!! I'm an Akronite too! ...or Mogadoreite ...

bdogps

Enlightened
It really depends how they set up the interface. If it has one button and you hold it down to change modes, then I welcome the one button. There has been an instance where the one button interface annoyed me, this was the Nitecore MH25 nightblade. It had sos, strobe, and I think four brightness modes. I do security at events sometimes and I need to check people's bags. The dang thing kept changing modes and brightness levels on me. Then I got the Thrunite Tn12 2014 and it was great. It stayed at the brightness level I left on all the the time. The S10r batonII is one button operation, but you need to hold the button down to change modes which I love.