How would you get out of a locker?

Borad

Enlightened
Let's say you're locked in a locker, trunk, or a windowless room with a hollow steel door. What EDC tool would you want with you, to free yourself or let air in? I'm thinking a curved hacksaw so you could saw through a flat piece of steel that has no exposed ends. But I don't know if they make such a thing. I know they make EDC prybars. Is that the best option? Or a drill to drill a series of holes so you could fit a small saw through the slot?

magellan

Honorary Aussie
If I recall right, Lynn Thompson of Cold Steel Knives leaped onto the roof of a car 30 years ago at a show and showed how his knife could do a "can opener' on an actual car top. Don't recall the particular knife model but anyway, that was one event people remember. It might have been a Recon which is not in their current catalog.

People like his knives but he's controversial figure in the martial arts knife community, although he has a Harvard class curriculum vitae having trained with top experts like Ron Balicki and others. Some people think he's a wanker, others are more positive.

Me, as a certified black belt/instructor in three different knife and sword arts, if the president of an important knife products company wants to promote that aspect of his art I'm okay with it due to the negative image commonly associated with these arts.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Well... I do recall a time back in middle school where I was sandwiched into a locker by a couple former acquaintances. Rather than letting me out after the jokes over, I was stuck inside it inside the boys gym for maybe almost hour where they turned off the lights to the place and closed to door on their way out. At that position I could neither sit or stand, and the smell of the lockers around mine was :green: . All the things you mentioned wouldn't work, because I had no room to move my arms beyond limited wrist movements. The only way I got attention was learning to bump the back of my head against the locker door [which was hollow and makes a racket] whenever I can hear people walking outside [The vents were open]. I was found by a very pi**ed off coach thinking someones vandalizing something with a hammer.

Honestly, all I wished I could have carried was a whistle, and preferably gum.

In a trunk.... I have no idea. I'm not Hudini, you can give me all the tools in the world, but if there's no appreciable space to swing my arms, even steel sheeting is a bit of a challenge

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize its not the most convenient (or practical) EDC to lug around, but also know there's a lot of sailors that rarely leave home with out it, the finest, most useful keychain bling, a Nimitz Class Aircraft Carrier.

Last edited:

Borad

Enlightened
There's a 10 year old thread on this here and I was looking at some Fox rescue knives that probably do the job. Hopefully I'll find a video or something.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over a 20 year period, my construction company has installed a literal boat load of steel doors and frames in near every commercial and industrial application you could imagine. Including Federal Buildings and Military Bases.

In in an exterior wall application, the lock set or deadbolt, hinge butts, and the actual steel door itself are the weak links. And in that order.

In an interior wall application, the bottom frame anchors, wall base plate anchors, and the enclosing wall itself are the weak links. And in that order.

There are of course exceptions. But your best bet is to sit down on your butt and persistently kick the bottom corners of the frame at the wall. If there are any heavy objects in the room, place them behind you to leverage against. Don't wear yourself out too quickly or hurt yourself. Just good hard jolts with your heals. You will be surprised at how effective this is.

If the interior walls are concrete, treat your attack the same as an exterior wall.

If the exterior walls are steel/wood stud with drywal and exterior siding, treat your attack the same as in interior wall.

This all applies only if the walls surrounding the door can't be easily cut or kicked through.

MrJino

Enlightened
I'm sure lockers have air holes already, and if not, a few minutes of bashing my knee should.
I don't think any edc item would be as useful as willpower and some elbow grease, even headbutts (to save my life).

Borad

Enlightened
Air holes and a whistle sounds good too. I wonder what my EDC drill options are. I like the can opener type tool though. I'd make a hole then can-opener myself a bigger one.

I wasn't picturing a gym locker. I was thinking of a storage locker.

MrJino

Enlightened
If storage locker or meat locker, no knife will save you haha.
Phones wouldn't work either.

I probably can't think of 1 edc item people carry that would break the hinges or padlock from a locker.

Unless you edc a 10,000 mw laser and melt your way through like a jedi.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would most likely deafen myself as a result but as a former USAF training instructor I can shout loud enough that I will be heard even if the school is closed for the holidays. Good luck on stuffing me in a locker without suffering significant injuries to your body.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
I would most likely deafen myself as a result but as a former USAF training instructor I can shout loud enough that I will be heard even if the school is closed for the holidays. Good luck on stuffing me in a locker without suffering significant injuries to your body.

Easy...lace your food and water, then place your sleeping body in the locker. Seriously though...edc wise, some sort of hardened steel punch...possibly a multitool. Anything you can auger with would probably fare well in such an enclosed space.

1DaveN

Enlightened
Easy...lace your food and water, then place your sleeping body in the locker. Seriously though...edc wise, some sort of hardened steel punch...possibly a multitool. Anything you can auger with would probably fare well in such an enclosed space.

That might work for him, but I don't fit in a locker :)

Borad

Enlightened
Is there a knife that could cut through the roof of a car if you score it like 100 times?

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Let's say you're locked in a locker, trunk, or a windowless room with a hollow steel door. What EDC tool would you want with you, to free yourself or let air in? I'm thinking a curved hacksaw so you could saw through a flat piece of steel that has no exposed ends. But I don't know if they make such a thing. I know they make EDC prybars. Is that the best option? Or a drill to drill a series of holes so you could fit a small saw through the slot?
Good question? Are there any Wise Guy's on the forum, if not find one and he will tell you what to do!