New ZT Hinderer 0566

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got myself a new ZT Hinderer 0566 after reading some good review & also wanting to try frame lock knife for a change. And the main reason is that the shape/contour of the handle fits my hand perfectly, something that hasn't happened for most folders.

The one i tested at a local shop was quite easy to open & close (well, not that easy but definitely easier than my nee piece). I read that it gets easier after use but i am hoping to shorten the time frame since i am planning to EDC this on a daily basis..

So pls share with me some ways to help "loosen" the opening / closing of this blade.

doubledownffxi

Newly Enlightened
personally when i get a new one i just flip for hours or days... i really dont know of a way to speed it up aside of making a friend become intersted and flip it when im not lol. my last knife i broke in was a medford praetorian t that literally took me 2 weeks to break in. i was flipping for 8ish hours a day at least as i am off work till the new years. I hope my rambling and such may help and i hope she becomes butter for you real soon.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
personally when i get a new one i just flip for hours or days... i really dont know of a way to speed it up aside of making a friend become intersted and flip it when im not lol. my last knife i broke in was a medford praetorian t that literally took me 2 weeks to break in. i was flipping for 8ish hours a day at least as i am off work till the new years. I hope my rambling and such may help and i hope she becomes butter for you real soon.

Ahh, so there isn't a shortcut.
No worries on rumbling, i appreciate all replies here..
My thumb is already slightly sore from 1-2 hours of closing the blade, can't imagine doing it for 2 weeks straight. Lol.. Guess i am just gonna take it easy for now & get used to the motion.

And oh yes, i do love the locking sound when the blade opens.

doubledownffxi

Newly Enlightened
yeah my thumb is pretty used to flipping blades all day was something i picked up on to stop chewing fingernails. im not sure which is really more polite to be doing in public but i prefer the flipping of my knives lol. Its always nice to have a blade that is worth spending the time on flipping too imo kinda like somehow that translates into better bang for my buck or something.

and yes after i recieved this preatorian no other lock up sound has came close mind you i have never spent that much before that point and even though i have now it has yet to arrive.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah my thumb is pretty used to flipping blades all day was something i picked up on to stop chewing fingernails. im not sure which is really more polite to be doing in public but i prefer the flipping of my knives lol. Its always nice to have a blade that is worth spending the time on flipping too imo kinda like somehow that translates into better bang for my buck or something.

and yes after i recieved this preatorian no other lock up sound has came close mind you i have never spent that much before that point and even though i have now it has yet to arrive.

Gosh, the medford praetorian looks very badass.. Thats one good looking knife & very nice price tag as well. Lol..

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pardon my ignorance but isn't this with assisted opening? Therefore it should be a breeze to open. To close it would probably be some tension. I do not have this particular ZT but I do a 560BLK. Although it does not have assisted opening, but it uses bearings at the pivot and even so the open/close is very fast, easy and smooth.

Just let the 566, wear don naturally i.e. by usage. Sooner or later it will be smoother after break in period. Congrats on your purchase and have fun using it.. :)

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pardon my ignorance but isn't this with assisted opening? Therefore it should be a breeze to open. To close it would probably be some tension. I do not have this particular ZT but I do a 560BLK. Although it does not have assisted opening, but it uses bearings at the pivot and even so the open/close is very fast, easy and smooth.

Just let the 566, wear don naturally i.e. by usage. Sooner or later it will be smoother after break in period. Congrats on your purchase and have fun using it.. :)

Yup, it is an assisted opening piece.
After the first few times pushing the stub to open the knife, i actually broke my index finger nail a little.. But it got easier after finding a sweet spot to push the stub.

Its the closing that needs more effort.
For the past few days, i have been opening & closing it whenever i am at home. It definitely feels easier to push the frame lock to close the blade now as compared to the first time.

And yup, i am enjoying the blade so far.
Haven got the chance to use it for hard work, just some simple stuff that is considered overkill for the ZT.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is the lock actually sticking, then you can put some Sharpie marker on the blade where it contacts the lock. This will loosen the friction just a bit during engagement, and allow you to break the contact between the lock bar and the blade much easier.

It's a trick RJ Martin suggests to use on his own knives, so this is not some random idiot advice and will probably help in any case.

obi

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is the lock actually sticking, then you can put some Sharpie marker on the blade where it contacts the lock. This will loosen the friction just a bit during engagement, and allow you to break the contact between the lock bar and the blade much easier.

It's a trick RJ Martin suggests to use on his own knives, so this is not some random idiot advice and will probably help in any case.

obi
Sharpie marker... U lost me there. Lol...
I have so far added some oil but it doesn't really help & its kinda messy when i apply too much.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, it is an assisted opening piece.
After the first few times pushing the stub to open the knife, i actually broke my index finger nail a little.. But it got easier after finding a sweet spot to push the stub.

Its the closing that needs more effort.
For the past few days, i have been opening & closing it whenever i am at home. It definitely feels easier to push the frame lock to close the blade now as compared to the first time.

And yup, i am enjoying the blade so far.
Haven got the chance to use it for hard work, just some simple stuff that is considered overkill for the ZT.

Your experience brought back memories during my time with a Kershaw Blur. Its an assisted opening folder. Its a great little folder. And yes one does need both hands for safe closing of the blade, since the spring loads itself during closing. Of course with practice, you can safely close the blade one handed. I sold off my Blur as it opened accidentally in the pocket twice. I cut myself trying to retrieve it. If the lock bar is sticking, the sharpie pen as explained by forumer Obijuan Kenobe can solve the issue.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sharpie marker... U lost me there. Lol...
I have so far added some oil but it doesn't really help & its kinda messy when i apply too much.

Use the marker to mark the area where the blade tang contacts the lock bar....by applying oil makes the stick worse IMO.

IMG_6599_zpsvgghpt3d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The dark patch next to the shinny part is where the blade tang meets the lock bar. Use sharpie marker to mark that area...

Last edited:

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use the marker to mark the area where the blade tang contacts the lock bar....by applying oil makes the stick worse IMO.

IMG_6599_zpsvgghpt3d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The dark patch next to the shinny part is where the blade tang meets the lock bar. Use sharpie marker to mark that area...
Ahh, i get it now.
Thanks for the illustrations mate.
Kinda stupid question but i shud use a permanent marker right? Since a blackboard marker will disappear after a time i use the blade.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh, i get it now.
Thanks for the illustrations mate.
Kinda stupid question but i shud use a permanent marker right? Since a blackboard marker will disappear after a time i use the blade.

For some reason the Sharpie brand permanent marker works best. In the picture is a Sebenza. When I first got it, it was super smooth with no hint of stickiness. But after usage for awhile, it developed some stick. The permanent marker trick cleared the issue. It will last for a week and a half then I apply some more. Its cheap so I do not mind doing it. There are other ways but those are more technical and involves taking the knife apart which I try to avoid if I can. Also once in a while, just get a soft tissue paper and run it along the lock bar surface to clear up any oil that could creep up. A clean knife is a happy knife :)