Review: Thorfire VG15: XM-L2, 800 lumens, 1 x 18650, (beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
The brand Thorfire produces rather cheap, but good quality lights. This is not a slogan, but my opinion after I reviewed about five members of the family. Recently, the VG15 came in: this is a (little) brother of the VG10, also positioned in the popular 1 x 18650-class. Let's have a look at the VG15, and see the difference between the VG10 brother!

the Thorfire VG15, another addition in the 1x18650-class
5y946s.jpg

powered by XM-L2
34skksj.jpg

suited for tactical and all-day-use
15yzxa8.jpg

Let's have a look at the (short) description Thorfire gives:

Features:

· Utilizes Cree XM-L2 LED.
· Gives out 1.6LM-800LM output
· max. 200m beam distance.
· 5 Modes: Eco/Low/Mid/High and hidden strobe.
· Double tap to activate strobe mode.
· Runs on 1x 18650 battery or 2x CR123A batteries.(Neither Included)
· Superior quality.
· Made of Aircraft-grade Aluminum.
· Waterproof to IPX-8 standard.
· What's in Box: 1 x ThorFire VG15 flashlight.
· 40 days money-back guarantee.

And the output specs:

sgkdbq.jpg

Unboxing:

All Thorfires I got until now, came in cheap-looking cartons. The VG15 also. The light-brown, some weak box has only the brands' name and a sticker with some features of the light on it. That's all. The contents are surprising: this carton is really complete! A lot of spare-parts are included. So, a simple but complete box. Have a look at the pictures that show the contents!

a no-nonsense, cheap carton
essvig.jpg

but complete: the VG15, leaflet, manual, holster, lanyard and 7(!) spare parts
nytpbq.jpg

Impressions:

Like I said earlier in this review, the first impression of this light is good. It has pretty heavy feels because of the used materials. I can tell you Thorfire surprises again with the VG15 because of the good build quality for this price. Machining is well done, no sharp parts or defects here, anodizing is well done. The lubricating of the threads could be some better. The VG15 has a clean, orange-peel reflector and a well centered XM-L2 led. The cooling fins at the lights head are flattened and prevent accidentally rolling off the table. Inside the tube the finishing is ok, the tailcaps' inner too. Strong springs both in the head and tailcap, you can use both button-tops and flat-tops. The VG15 has comfortable grip and luckily, instead of some earlier tested Thorfires, a strong clip that has enough length. Tailstanding is no problem, the double holes at the tail are a strong point: with a added-on lanyard the light still stands stable. Well done! Summarizing, no remarks at the machining and finishing. Scroll down for more impression-pictures….

another addition to the busy 1x18650 class…
9qflmw.jpg

the Thorfire VG15
10o1ppx.jpg

steady tailstanding here..
2pshcb4.jpg

all modes controlled by the tailclicky
2znmww1.jpg

no problem to carry it every day
of6is1.jpg

the textured reflector has a bluish color
9scnxd.jpg

nice bezel and well-centered led
2u5cl8p.jpg

good build quality, rather heavy tube and parts
263jvnl.jpg

well machined and double lanyard holes
1238wt1.jpg

not that much grease at the threads
14x0vw4.jpg

a look into the tailcap
5f4x1l.jpg

the button has stiff structure and is easy to locate
161nf9h.jpg

the tubes's inner
1z4bgo4.jpg

the VG15 comes including a (thin) holster…
f44lz7.jpg

but good quality lanyard
29gmk9l.jpg

the XM-L2 led
nve45w.jpg

User interface:

The VG15 has solid feels, is therefore little heavy, but can easily controlled by one hand. All modes are controlled by the tailbutton. The VG15 hasn't momentary, so silent operation isn't possible. Click to turn to light on, after that tap to select the desired mode. The VG15 memorizes the last used mode. To enter the (total one) special mode needs some exercise: for me, it sometimes was a hard job to enter the strobe-mode. You've to activate this (when the light is on) by two short taps. Sometimes I succeed, but many times I failed. This should be fixed by Thorfire, and I would like to see an instant strobe too. Except that, the normal modes work fine, but, to be honest, this isn't my favorite interface.

Modes:

The Thorfire VG15 has total four normal modes. Good job from Thorfire that this light has also a very good low. Most users will appreciate this. After starting at ECO, you will get into LOW-MID-HIGH. The spacing is rather good, but a 5th​ mode between eco and low would be a nice addition. One special mode at the VG15, STROBE. It's easy to LOCK-OUT the light by releasing the lights' head or tailcap a little.

Size comparison:

The VG15 shown here together with it brother VG10 that has a bigger "throwy" head and body.

18650 cell, Thorfire VG15 and Thorfire VG10
qnwcpf.jpg

Thorfire VG15 and Thorfire VG10
jjmywl.jpg

Thorfire VG15 and Thorfire VG10
2nrhs95.jpg

the heads: both driven by a XM-L2
21j5cfb.jpg

the tails: Thorfire VG15 and Thorfire VG10
zo66o.jpg

Beamprofile:

Because of the used led in combination with the textured reflector the VG15 has a clear hotspot and corona, but a usable beam. The light has medium throw. The beam has a nice mixed profile and I can't find any defects. Unfortunately, PWM is visible at all modes. See also the wall pictures that show the VG15's profile…

Tint:

The tint is as often see at XM-L2's: Coolwhite spot and corona and little bluish in the spill. At the picture a comparison to the other Thorfire, the VG10, that has the same led.

16a3dag.jpg

Beamshots:

Starting by projecting the VG15's beam at a white wall. Total four modes here, the eco-mode is barely visible. Distance to the wall about 0,75 meters.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, 1/125 sec, F/2.7, 35mm
rkcxea.jpg

rt412a.jpg

2qw1vyt.jpg

bearh0.jpg

GIF-picture
28spj85.jpg

Going outdoors now with the VG15. The beam shown in the forest here. Starting with the four output modes, after that also compared to the VG10 brother.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, 4 sec, F/2.7, 35mm
smdkyr.jpg

ejsklj.jpg

106wx2w.jpg

33vnkhk.jpg

GIF-picture
2a6qskn.jpg

the VG15 compared to the Thorfire VG10
23rk60o.jpg

Conclusion:

The VG15 has good build-quality, is easy to carry and has nice output and good spaced modes. Because of this, I can recommend this friendly-priced torch. I detected PWM at any mode (though a camera lens), but its barely or not visible while using the VG15. But I would like to see some improvements also: The Strobe-mode should be a direct one, and easy to activate. I would like to have an extra low mode too, around 10 lumens. Summarized, a good-quality light for a friendly price!

Thorfire VG15 provided for review

Last edited:

malocchio

Newly Enlightened
Great review,but wondering why no included battery in the package,as they did with the VG10 ?

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. I could be wrong but the beamshots of the forest look too bright. This light does have decent output though.

I purchased a VG15 a few months ago - it's a great tube light - very compact for EDC, good spacing between modes, and a good moon mode. Nice quality too. It has a nicely machined stainless bezel ring which most tube lights don't have. Decent square threads. The clip is nice and sturdy - it can clip onto a belt. Comes with an extra switch, lanyard, rubber button, and pouch. Beam looks nice and white, no blue or yellow or green. I considered the VG10 but since the body is smooth and I once had a smooth light (Sunwayman V20C) I know how slippery it can be. No knurling was a deal-breaker for me. Sure the VG10 has a grip ring, but its a metal one and metal grip rings are uncomfortable, at least for me. The only comfortable grip ring I can think of is a rubber one like my previous SF C2.

I'm glad I went with the VG15 instead of the much bigger VG10 but that's just me. I think they both have the same output too. Also, another reviewer measured 3A at the tailcap so its a decent driver.

Last edited:

kj75

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I could be wrong but the beamshots of the forest look too bright.

Mind that the shots are taken very close to the trees this time. As far I can see, those pictures show what you see in real life.. :)

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just by chance searching for a small bag to make into a bug out kit found a UK seller with one for far less than all other vendors are offering them for. I purchased it and just hope it a genuine deal as it could make another nice compact 18650 to have.