Recommended P60 dropins

llmercll

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I use a lot of solarforce hosts along with their dropins. I've had good luck with the hosts so far, but have noticed that the P60 dropins are a little weak, without necessarily offering better battery life.

I did a bit of research and found these:

http://intl-outdoor.com/p60-dropin-module-cuxm2-xml2-p-740.html

The neutral white XPL V-6 has my eye. Before I go ahead and buy it though, I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with it. If not, is there a particular drop-in that you would recommend?

Thanks a lot!

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff in Solarforce host just require the external spring & it will work..
If u have a better budget, u can check out Vinh or Nailbender. Both are able to offer customised P60 dropin.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens Factory has some very nice D26 drop ins (the original Surefire P60 is a D26 drop in), in either Neutral White or 90+ CRI. they use the Cree XP-G emitter.
Mountain Electronics has a very nice D26/P60 drop in with your choice of XP-L or Nichia 219B emitter, and several different sets of modes. It is limited to a single Li-Ion cell only so I don't know how that would fit into your plans.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's your budget ?

Malkoff, if budget allows :)

May need to adjust fitment, however, for SolarForce hosts.

Archimedes, what's your opinion of aluminum vs. brass? Does Al have any advantage to justify a premium drop in (even much more expensive than malkoff) having it instead?

Last edited:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
GREAT thread - I've never even heard of the first two linked companies and they look pretty good!

I'm currently using Malkoff M361N and M61WLL dropins (two of each) and they are excellent, especially if you're looking for battery life over sheer power.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Adventure Sport / Vestureofblood
Generic DX/Wallbuys etc modules
Lumens factory
Mountain electronics
Malkoff
Oveready
Nailbender
Sportac
Solarforce
Surefire
TNT
Vinh

all I can think of.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Archimedes, what's your opinion of aluminum vs. brass? Does Al have any advantage to justify a premium drop in (even much more expensive than malkoff) having it instead?

I think the best is probably the silver electroplated pure copper P60 from @Mattaus but, except for super high output dropins, any significant differences are probably fairly limited.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The premium you pay for a Malkoff is not just on the material. Malkoff dropin are built like a tank & can take a lot of beating. They are known for their durability & sturdiness, rather than high output..

xzel87

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I use a lot of solarforce hosts along with their dropins. I've had good luck with the hosts so far, but have noticed that the P60 dropins are a little weak, without necessarily offering better battery life.

I did a bit of research and found these:

http://intl-outdoor.com/p60-dropin-module-cuxm2-xml2-p-740.html

The neutral white XPL V-6 has my eye. Before I go ahead and buy it though, I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with it. If not, is there a particular drop-in that you would recommend?

Thanks a lot!

I have the cuxp nichia 219 version, I got it used from a forumer, works very well...mine is 2 mode though, Id suggest you get more modes if that's your thing =)

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
The premium you pay for a Malkoff is not just on the material. Malkoff dropin are built like a tank & can take a lot of beating. They are known for their durability & sturdiness, rather than high output..

Absolutely. idk where the idea that premium = just materials came from lol, but yeah I would agree with you. The few I've had over the years have all been rock solid.

I was looking at another make's��priced twice as high, and just found it curious that they used aluminum. Id love to see one of the pure copper ones, that does sound awesome. Thanks for the info Archimedes.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
nailbender/customlites (used to have and may still, solid copper triple modules of very high quality)

vinhnguyen/skylumen (silver plated copper modules, I think)

mtnelectronics

malkoff (never tried but respect immensely)

oveready

vinz (in Germany but I do not know what he's doing currently)

Just wondering what price range limercil is looking for

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... Thanks for the info Archimedes.

Cheers :)

vinz (in Germany but I do not know what he's doing currently)

Thanks @KITROBASKIN , I had almost forgotten about @Vinz (!!)

Best custom dropins made specifically for SolarForce that I have seen and used.

Handmade, in very limited numbers ... but I haven't seen him around for some time now :(

Actually, @leon2245 , the fact that Vinz (who spares no effort or expense in constructing his dropins) uses aluminum for his P60 heatsink, leads me to think that Al is well suited for this purpose. Vinz even uses diamond glue ... :eek:oo:

Last edited: