new (to me) strion 74001

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Not scheduled to arrived until 12/17 my strion arrived today.
Yesssszzz!!

The seller at the Big A priced it at $80 saying due to distressed boxes. My thought was 'light only' since others had complained that there's had arrived light only....but it was a light, charger and both 125 and 12 volt cords. Yay! Turns ghose complainers had ordered the 74000, which is fleet add on light.

^^ battery was completely discharged.

Put it on charge for the night. It came with the old aqua battery. But I'll get a red one at some point.

^^ note the old, distressed box

^^ the ole USA made 74001.

Until I can find another lamp assembly this will remain an incan. The TerraLUX oversizes the pin holes so if you decide to go back incan the bulb falls out.
I tried turning back a TL 2 to incan and now need a new assembly to keep the bulb in. Eh, $6 at the big A. And while there I ordered a shockproof module and a Strion clicky.

The focus-able reflector of the Strion is a lot better than the TL 2. Holding this light from the 'flash-er' point of view it's mildly deceiving how bright it is. Yet you get on the other end of the beam...the 'flash-ee' end and you notice this light aint no joke.

The body is round. I thought of it as retro round as the knurling evokes a sense of holding a light from days gone by...like somebody zapped my dads 1977 cop light. Man, I really dig that.

I didn't play with it much since it needed charging and I was trying to re-incan my TL 2 after burning up the TerraLUX drop in somehow while swapping from the Strion back to the TL 2. The TerraLUX likes the 3 volts of the Strion but has worked fine with the 6 volt TL 2light. Well today it went kaploo-ee.

It's quite likely going to be left on a shelf a lot simply because it's so dang pretty I hate to screw it up.

Found a 2nd hand light only...cheap. So the used one may just replace my 88105 as my favorite edc.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Now I realize the ole 74000 is more of a was than an is in todays modern world. (3 pages of threads in a advanced search with the words Streamlight Strion) I bought it to see how it would Lego with the TL lights.

Well right off it seems only the face cap/reflector/lens works. But even that has a catch.
The TL reflector opening is slightly narrower. There's a built in sorta o-ring that the bulb slides through. The TL opening being smaller causes the bulb of the Strion to misbehave at best. Flat out rip it from the assembly at worst.
Luckily part #74051 (new lamp assembly) is on the way because when the bulb ripped out it made the bulb misbehave even with the Strion ever-so-slightly larger opening, non bulb twisting action face cap/reflector. When focusing from flood to spot the bulb either burns dim or not at all.

The LED of the TL 2 (88105) fits, but without some modification doesn't slide into body deep enough to touch the battery. I have a spring that may have worked but just wanted my Strion back in one piece so I could photograph it.

The TL tail cap is female. Strion is male.

It seems if you want a single function Strion in LED you have to TerraLUX it.

I'll probably end up with an LED Strion with the 65 lumen low. 260 on high is plenty to this guy. But strobe is #4...
I read that clicking gets you on/off and you momentary to advance settings. I can live wit dat. The pro tac EMS works like that.

Did I mention the 74000 tails stands? And tail stands well...
Kinda rare for Streamlights.

^^ tail stander champ.
It's short length, narrow head a flat switch combine to make a decent tail stander...slight vibrations don't knock it over like taller, wide head lights.
Something like my MD2.

^^ I absolutely love, love, love them old knurls
On the research it seems folks used to sell their Strions because of that. Yet it feels like you're holding a Malkoff MD2.

^^ Strion vs TL 2 shock proof and an LED
You see it's slightly longer. But still nice n small. Again, like holding an MD2.

^^ who says an incan won't throw.
That's a 6 watt xenon bulb tossing it's toasty warm beam some 4-500'.

^^ blinder at 100' in darkness.
The bulb in this thing aint no joke. Yet it's not much of a juice pig with that big ole 3.7 battery.

^^ no SureFire football here.
Nice round beam on spot mode. Now due to bulb assembly misbehavior mentioned above I found the best point in spot and that's where it's staying.
Last night I had it in flood mode and aside from the giant tarantula looking hole in the spot the spill was amazing. Once part #74051 arrives I'll add some spill pix to this post.

I like this flash light. A LOT!!!

Edit: the backup I found is kit 74002, which is 001 with a spare charger....$35. A new 'blemished' box deal from the clearance rack at the big A. I did not know Amazon has a clearance 'barn' until last night.

Now I know why the MD2 seemed like an old friend from day one....love that retro knurl!
Not that one is a copy-cat by any means. Just that carrying one or the other has an old familiar feel.

Edit 12/16;
The 74002 kit arrived.
It seems not only is Streamlight still making the Strion xenon, they went and changed the body and tail switch.

The twisty tac switch has grooves cut in to aid grip and the body is on par with the LED versions.

^^ the new 74000

So it turns out the box is mint but the face cap was slightly dinged in 2 places. A little scuff with a Scotch Brite and a dap with an enamel sharpie made it good as new.
So for $35 I got an updated xenon Strion, a pair of chargers, a pair of 125 volt cords and a pair of 12 volt cords.
In the package delivered from the big A was also a pair of TerraLUX LED's for a Strion. So the light is now TerraLUX'd.

Couldn't decide whether to have on xenon face cap twisted to spot with the other twisted to flood...so I TerraLUX'd it for now.

^^ the xenons and a 74300 LED

^^ TerraLUX'd

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Face cap of the xenon light turns the LED into quite the flooder.

^^ strion LED with factory face cap.

^^ with xenon facecap.

A wee bit of mod required.

^^ left is pre-mod

1pt21

Enlightened
Awesome light. Is that a Mustang under the cover?!?

More details on the car! LOL.. Looks like a Cobra or Cobra wheels on annnnnn.. SN95 maybe?

:whistle:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Awesome light. Is that a Mustang under the cover?!?

More details on the car! LOL.. Looks like a Cobra or Cobra wheels on annnnnn.. SN95 maybe?

:whistle:
Details? Ok....

It's the one in the rear of the photo.
I collected Honda Preludes in 013.

I was up to 6 at one point. But they were falling apart faster than I could fix them so I thinned the herd.

^^ not shown are the red one and the covered one.

The covered car stores parts for the one with the hood up.

^^ I made a sign.

Edit:
Just realized it's the 97 in the pix above...
I usually use the 91 out back for flashback/spill shots.

^^ the 91 I use for beam shots.

^^ this one goes up to 100mph in 3rd.
It's a 97 Honda Prelude Type SH with a 4th gen prelude tranny instead of the trouble prone ATTS gear box. I started that one late in 012. It's a resto-mod project where I add factory upgrades. I want to add a dome light over the back seat like in JDM cars, but the circuit is very complicated and connects to places I do not want to go messing around with. So I began studying adding an LED into the circuit, which is what led me here.

I completely restored the interior to my liking adding colors that cause it to be what I call a tuxedo theme.

I methodically go about re-furbishing parts n pieces bought from crashed or junkyard cars and little by little swap onto the 97.

^^ a batch from early this year that thanks to CPF I've yet to install.

^^ I focus on details like keeping build numbers intact.

^^ installed
As I go each bolt, clip and fastener is either reburbished or replaced.

^^ a center cap thing I did

^^ parts curing

^^ a valve cover thing I did

^^ my son and I absolutely mauled this one.
At another junkyard they had a sale one day. We bought literally 2 pickup loads of wires, glass, doors, wheels and other items off another black SH. The one in the pic was a nearly 100% intact rust free, uncrashed car somebody couldn't get to start. We spent a week getting parts from that one.
We have parts from cars in Canada as well as various places throughout America thanks to UPS and the USPS.

At one point I studied installing an Accord 4th/5th to top end at 200+, but decided that wasn't such a good idea. It rattles, shakes and quivers bad enough at 80.

I'm at a standstill on the engine bay project while I replace every molding on the car, then find a short somewhere that causes the oil lamp to stay on.

I helped my son swap a motor in his in 014 so now I know how.

^^ out with the broken motor

^^ new (to him) going in.
A hi-po 2.3 going back in.
The guy on the left drove 6 hours to help. Got the motor anchored at midnight, then he drove back home.

^^ these 2 fellas were a huge help.
The guy on the left is gradually becoming a flashaholic thanks to receiving his first M61.

So at some point I'll do a motor in this car. But for now it's pretty cool as is.
There's a bunch of parts awaiting install, another motor and exhaust, and some body parts.
But starting in January my son and I plan on resuming this one....

^^ a 91 that lived in a garage for 23 of it's 24 years.
It was pampered in Maryland for years, but when it failed emissions it was passed around for about a year until I got it.

^^ I put it in mothballs, then gave it to my son for his 28th birthday.

We plan on continuing a full restore to factory original once we get segments of the electrical system replaced in this one....

Then at some point I hope to do this....

... with the 91 in my back yard.

How's that for details?

Last edited:

1pt21

Enlightened
How's that for details?

Quite possibly the most detailed reply I've received.... Ever..... LOL

Well sir it's a shame that you live so far from NJ (from what I can make in in License Plates), because you and I would make great friends as we have very similar interests haha.

Thanks for the reply. Don't think I should derail this thread any further :candle:

ven

Flashaholic
Excellent derail imo, awesome pics and story to boot!!! Loving the sign, classic!!! :laughing: i do like a sense of humor.

Honda's are great cars.............

Cool pics mr fixer:D

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Quite possibly the most detailed reply I've received.... Ever..... LOL

Well sir it's a shame that you live so far from NJ (from what I can make in in License Plates), because you and I would make great friends as we have very similar interests haha.

Thanks for the reply. Don't think I should derail this thread any further :candle:
I'm about midway between MD and NC.

Prelude was a great car. Ima a big early style Mustang fan. But the Prelude made me forget all about doing another 66 someday.
The 97 has everything I liked about that car without the leaky windows, anemic climate control and 12mpg.

Excellent derail imo, awesome pics and story to boot!!! Loving the sign, classic!!! :laughing: i do like a sense of humor.

Honda's are great cars.............

Cool pics mr fixer:D

If you read books Ven, the biography about Mr. Honda and his business partner Mr. Fujisawa called Honda Myth tells the story of why they are so well built.
Plus it's a very entertaining read. It tells how it began up to the death of the founders. It begins with how Honda came to America, then goes into great detail of the early years. Then closes with how coming to America lead to great big changes in the auto industry itself.

Now kinda back on track...at least aimed that direction:
My wife gave me a gigantic Strion LED for Christmas. It's called a Stinger...

The 74000 is a display piece these days, all tucked in a nook on my desk.

^^ thought it better here...
Near an incan TL 2 and some Nite Ize'd mini mags...

^^ than lost in the crowd here...
Among various adventures in the life of a gray haired kid. Each item has a story to tell.

But the 015 version of it gets used sometimes. Yet it feels strange when I turn on that TerraLUX beam....no mellow yellow.

Last edited: