NITECORE D4 HOT/FRIED out while charging

LAtraffic

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I am a fool and thats the reason for the mishaps. I was running all 4 slots of the D4 with 2 eneloop aaa, rcr123 and an 18650 alongside another D2 charger. Some electrical issues were being tested elsewhere in the house and the breakers were being shut off and on. When I went in the bedroom I noticed the D4 was off and smelled faintly of warm plastic. The D2 was on and completely fine still, both are plugged into a surge protector in the same outlet. The D4 was alarmingly hot, the eneloops were to hot to hold. I am guessing they are fried a long with the charger. had to leave out of town and won't be back for a week. Anyone ever heard of something like this happening? I should add that the 18650 was bran new as well and was being charged for its first time. Anyways, it freaked me out. The last thing anyone needs is a serious mishaps.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throwing breakers can cause some arcing. Arcing can can cause high frequency, high voltage transients. Transients can blow cheap surge protectors and perhaps get into the devices connected to them. Do you have any way to determine whether you surge protector blew?

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd guess that the power supply in the D4 failed.

Power cycling is the most stressful condition for a power supply. Usually power supplies fail during startup, rather than during operation. As mentioned by KeepingItLight, large transients are often created when you flip breakers back on because several heavy appliances (such as refrigerators) will kick in at the same time. This probably killed the D4.

However the fact this did kill the D4 tells me that the unit was faulty to begin with. It should not be so sensitive!