Olight S2 Baton (1x 18650/2x CR123A, XM-L2 U3) Review

kj2

Flashaholic
The new Olight S2 Baton, is the larger brother of the earlier released S1 Baton. Being a Baton-series light, it's quite compact but still has power enough for those dark places.
A Cree XM-L2 led it fitted behind a PMMA TIR lens, and has a max output of 950 lumens. The S2 shares the same features as other S-series flashlight including a low-profile side switch, removable pocket clip, magnetic tailcap, and timer. The S2 can be the choice for users looking for a flashlight that can take an 18650 battery, and still have an extremely small form factor.

2exapgk.jpg

n6z2f7.jpg

The packaging:The S2 comes in Olight standard translucent packaging. Inside you'll find the S2, manual, lanyard and CR123A battery magazine.

1zflaxk.jpg
23wqt8j.jpg

6gk9s8.jpg
r0atsi.jpg

23li1dz.jpg

Features and Specifications: (given by Olight)

KEY FEATURES:

• Cree XM-L2 / U3 LED
  • Maximum output up to 950 lumens
  • 22 degree emission angle 90% transparent ratio PMMA TIR lens to deliver homogeneous spot light
  • Stainless steel bezel and switch ring with PVD coating
  • 4 standard modes: 950 lumens, 400 lumens, 80 lumens, 10 lumens
  • 2 special modes: 0.5 lumens and 10Hz strobe mode
  • Turbo mode has a limit of 2 minutes for constant on, after that the light output will ramp down by 50% within 1 minute
  • built-in thermal management safety program.
  • Built-in timer: 3 minutes (short timer)or 9 minutes (long timer)
  • Flat tail cap design contains a strong magnet providing the ability to place it upside down and use it as a hands-free
  • work light
  • Positive polarity end on the battery faces the tail of the flashlight, reverse polarity protection to prevent improper battery installation
  • Removable pocket clip that is scratch resistant
  • Low standby current below 10uA

INCLUDED ACCESSORIES:

• Lanyard
  • User Manual
  • Battery magazine

MSRP: $49.95

The manual gives information on specs, user interface and more. Always handy to read before usage ;)
This manual is multi-language.

x0sh2e.jpg

33vclfn.jpg
35bcwuc.jpg

zl5a0z.jpg
1zb9t3b.jpg

2rdi91j.jpg
qohkzr.jpg

The compact size of the S2 makes it very suitable for EDC. The clip has good tension and clips tightly. If desired the clip is removable.
The side-switch is located near the head. The switch cover is almost flat which prevents accidental activation when carried. The bezel and switch binder ring are stainless steel processed with a PVD technology
with a good looking blue coating. In the tail of the light is a magnetic. The magnet is also removable. Knurling on the light provides enough grip during use.

wmcu4j.jpg
259lxcn.jpg

wiqziv.jpg

n4ungg.jpg
34g9ill.jpg

You might have notice the little battery-indication mark on the side of the light. Most flashlight need the positive-end of the battery towards the head. With the S2 it's the other way around.
In the S2, the battery positive-end has to face the tailcap. A reverse polarity protection is present, if the battery is wrongly inserted.

oj1kxy.jpg

Laser engraving and anodizing is spotless. Threads are well cut and came well lubed.
Threads are square cut and fully anodized. At the side of the tailcap is a hole for lanyard attachment.

33y2820.jpg
2414fhv.jpg

2w3vwk8.jpg
eg704z.jpg

User Interface:

Operation of the light is done via the side-switch.

Click the side-switch to turn the light On, in the memorized brightness level, single click again to turn Off.
When On, press and hold to cycle between the modes Low > Med > High > Turbo.
To access Moonlight mode, press and hold for 1 second from Off.
Turbo mode is also directly available from Off. Double click quickly from Off. A triple click will enter Strobe mode.

The light contains two timer settings: long timer (9 minutes) and short timer (3 minutes). Double click the side switch to enter this setting, short timer blink once for 3 minutes, long timer blinks 2 times for 9 minutes.
Double click the side switch to change the timer to the opposite setting. The light will automatically turn Off when the timer is over.

The S2 doesn't have a memory for Moonlight mode. There is only a 10 minutes memory when Turbo is last used.

Size comparison:

wi7n82.jpg
ajotc8.jpg

Olight S10, Olight S2, Olight S20R, Olight 18650

Indoor Beamshots/ Outdoor Beamshots:
ISO400, f/5.6, 1/50 sec - Canon 500D - Light approx 30cm/ camera 1m in front of wall. Moonlight mode is not included in the beamshots.

2lsbsbd.jpg
308jcy0.jpg
1zh2liu.jpg
1z4js7n.jpg

2dhekcl.jpg
313olcz.jpg
2zya1zo.jpg

1450009633246925.gif

ISO400, f/5.6, 3,2 sec - Canon 500D. Lights were slightly angled towards the ground.

1g3cbq.jpg
2lt6p3d.jpg

Pros and Cons:

+ Size/output ratio
+ Pleased wide-spread beam
+ Pocket clip
+ Timer option

- Different battery polarity then most other flashlights

Conclusion:

Olight offers again a beautiful EDC light. Some may prefer the size of the smaller S1, but with a 18650 battery, the S2 offers much more runtime.
A think to remember is the different battery polarity, but a reverse polarity protection is present to protect the light. The TIR lens provides a clean wide spread beam, which
is very useful with close-up work.

S2 Baton was supplied by Adola for review, on behalf of Olight.

Last edited:

manonamission

Newly Enlightened
Nice review , and the timing is crazy as i just was looking at battery reviews before i purchased this light this morning and then your review pops up ...Which was Awesome as it went a long way to reinforcing my decision to go for it ...Thanks !

kj2

Flashaholic
Nice review , and the timing is crazy as i just was looking at battery reviews before i purchased this light this morning and then your review pops up ...Which was Awesome as it went a long way to reinforcing my decision to go for it ...Thanks !
Glad I could help :)

Thanks for reading.

Dimethyl

Newly Enlightened
Was the moonlight mode on your S2 really dim? The official spec is 0.5 lumens but I estimate mine to be about 0.03 lumens. It is far more dim than my Olight S15 Baton or ThruNite TN12 (2016) which have official specs of 0.5 and 0.4 lumen moonlights, respectively. I actually find the super-dim moonlight mode quite pleasant when my eyes are fully dark-adapted.

Here is a comparison of my S15 (left), TN12 (middle), and S2 (right):

9Wfdjgv.jpg

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Was the moonlight mode on your S2 really dim? The official spec is 0.5 lumens but I estimate mine to be about 0.03 lumens. It is far more dim than my Olight S15 Baton or ThruNite TN12 (2016) which have official specs of 0.5 and 0.4 lumen moonlights, respectively. I actually find the super-dim moonlight mode quite pleasant when my eyes are fully dark-adapted.

Here is a comparison of my S15 (left), TN12 (middle), and S2 (right):

9Wfdjgv.jpg
The moonlight mode is very dim indeed.
Here a photo comparing it with my S15. S15 on the left, S2 on the right.

0d584d8eea3798cf743e15df4e10b14b.jpg

On a other note. Right before I made that pic, I opened the light to insert a battery, and the black plastic disk that normally surrounds the spring at the head, felt out. This disk is only for protecting the components on the circuit board, but still, it shouldn't fall out.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it me or does the beam pattern seem uneven? It's looks like a diamond in several of the pics instead of a nice circular hotspot.

cistallus

Enlightened
Thanks for the review! I have an older S20vn which is quite similar, but doesn't have the backwards battery, odd that they did that.

I think maybe your photo of the user manual is just the one side of it - I'm guessing there's a flip side with the rest of the English instructions.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Thank you for this fantastic review kj2! Very helpful for all of us who wants to know the details of this light before deciding to get one... :twothumbs for you!!!

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. The TIR makes the S2 brighter compared to the S20R which uses a reflector.

Wet

Newly Enlightened
Is it me or does the beam pattern seem uneven? It's looks like a diamond in several of the pics instead of a nice circular hotspot.
The hotspot is circular but the gradient area around the hotspot looks a bit square shaped to me too. I notice the same in the beam of my S1, but only when shining on a wall from close distance and rotating the light around its symmetry axis to make the square pattern spin. In practical use i won't notice that square shape. It must be caused by the shape of the emitter die. I have noticed similar shape around the hotspot in my other olight S series lights too, and they all have smooth reflectors.

Last edited:

jetslipper

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Just a thought. In addition to the shorter runtimes, should I expect a difference in the output when using 2xRCR123A instead of 1x18650? Should there be any difference in the output when using a 7.4V (2x3.7V) compared to the 3.7V from the 18650? Or is a consistent output expected? What can I expect if I use 2xRCR123A in lights that explicitly list that type of battery as supported other than the shorter runtimes?

kj2

Flashaholic
Hi,

Just a thought. In addition to the shorter runtimes, should I expect a difference in the output when using 2xRCR123A instead of 1x18650? Should there be any difference in the output when using a 7.4V (2x3.7V) compared to the 3.7V from the 18650? Or is a consistent output expected? What can I expect if I use 2xRCR123A in lights that explicitly list that type of battery as supported other than the shorter runtimes?
Since Olight states the S2 only support 1x 18650 (3.7/4.2) or two CR123 (3V- 6V total), I won't advice to run two RCR's in it. The light is regulated so voltage doesn't matter. Otherwise the output would also be higher with 2x CR123 compared with 1x 18650.

jetslipper

Newly Enlightened
Since Olight states the S2 only support 1x 18650 (3.7/4.2) or two CR123 (3V- 6V total), I won't advice to run two RCR's in it. The light is regulated so voltage doesn't matter. Otherwise the output would also be higher with 2x CR123 compared with 1x 18650.
Thanks for the clarification kj2. I was looking for the S2's supported voltage range but couldn't find any that's why I had to ask. Other Olight models (M1x, S30R, etc) explicitly mention the supported voltage in the user manual.