Flashlights for Security Work.

tagman122

Newly Enlightened
I'm working long-term as a security guard in the Puget Sound area and I need some advice on a well-balanced, practical, and long-lasting flashlight or flashlights that will help me do my job better and keep my surroundings illuminated. I've seen another post that correlates a little but I'm not looking to hardwire any electrical components in my vehicle, nore is operating or charging temperature a huge concern. I will soon be using an old patrol car and need something that will do the job right. Right now I'm using a Maglite but it just isn't quite cutting it. I'm planning on staying at my company for a while and want to invest in a great flashlight that will last me for years and help me fulfill my duties. Any input/advice/experience is greatly appreciated!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
As a starting point, how far away do you want to be able to see what, as a minimum?

Are you patrolling for trespassers who might be walking around where they're not supposed to be, or hiding if they see you coming?

Are you looking for signs of vandalism/equipment damage?

The amount of illumination to see someone in dark/low contrast clothing who is prone and stationary is far more than what is required to see a running Elvis Impersonator in a white rhinestone suit, etc.

The further away your subject is, the more light ON the subject is needed to resolve them.

As an example, I can shine a light onto a guy reading a book 400 meters away, and he can read the book by the light I am shining at him, and yet I can't even see him, let alone the book.

He's close, so the light is bright enough to read by...I am far, and the exact same lux leaves him invisible to me.

And so forth.

So, what, as a minimum, would be your range, say in meters, and target (examples)?

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Re: No one stops at one.

I'd recommend the BLF A6 as a "co-flashlight" and if not as your primary, as a backup. A third (backup) light would be the Lumintop Tool with the 10440 battery in it to put out 300 lumens, or buy Vinh's ToolVN that puts out about 700 lumens!

Swordforthelord

Newly Enlightened
If you're going to be doing a lot of quick sweeps of areas as you patrol, you'll probably want a forward clicky so you don't have to fully click down every time.

1DaveN

Enlightened
Since you mention long term, I'd probably look at Elzetta. I've never had one, but they strike me as a brand you buy once, and use until you're ready to hand it down to your grandchildren.

Of the lights I do have, I'd probably choose a PD35 with a PD25 as backup. I'd use an 18650 in the PD35, a CR123A in the PD25, and carry a spare pair of CR123As as backup for both lights.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a floody distant light, a Nitecore TM16. As a thrower, a Nitecore TM36LITE. For an EDC light, an EC5 (throw) or EC4S; smooth floody. An EDC pocket light, a Nitecore MH20.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED Mag Charger would be good if you are OK with the full size Mag form factor - it comes with a car charger so you can charge it in your patrol vehicle. The Similar 3D ML300 is a good choice if you want something less expensive and don't mind using D cells. Both have lots of throw or long beam distance good to around 400 ft. or so depending on the conditions.

For something small to be carried in a belt holster, I would suggest the Surefire G2X Tactical or the Maglite Mag Tac.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've worked security for several years. As a flashaholic, I can pick from far too many lights to count. In general though, the best overall choices I'd say will be a Streamlight UltraStinger as a primary light. Good overall size and rechargeable. By the way, you'll need a back-up light. And definitely a non-rechargeable one, since they can sometimes let you down when you really need them to work.

Honestly, unless you're licensed to carry a gun on the job and might realistically confront individuals on a regular basis; the current LED Mini-maglite model is a good bet. If you thoroughly understand the potential dangers involved in using a light running off of a couple of CR123 primaries, both SureFire and Streamlight have good models to choose from.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2AA Mini Mag Pro or Pro Plus would make a good non tactical backup/utility light - especially the Pro Plus which has a low mode which comes in handy for up close work like doing paper work. Both versions are very bright and have good throw for 2AA LEDs.....they also run great on rechargeable Eneloops.

Most of the ML series Mag Lites along with the LED Mag Charger and the plain bezel Mag Tac have very useful low or eco modes as well.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ima piggy back on monocrom and add the Streamlight Strion LED is pretty cool.

You can get the 74300 model that puts out 260 on high and 65 on low if you like a lower level low.
The HL version is a whopping 500 lumens with (if memory serves)150 lumen low.

But I say Strion for it's 5-3/4" size and the interface is great for tactical use.
Click it on you get the high setting. If all you want is high, use it like any regular flashlight.
But say you want less out put...
Click and hold to get the hi/me/lo/me/hi cycle in about 1/4 second each.
You get in a pinch...
Click twice quickly to get a very effective strobe.

For kicks n giggles I cut mine on strobe as a person is leaving a room to see just how many get disoriented enough to walk into a door jam.
So far my 74300 is 5 for 5. lol

But the Stinger is available in various configurations. It too is an awsome security light. I'm hoping Santa drops off one this year.

Again piggy backing monocrom...a backup is a must!...a rechargeable light with a battery that has discharge protection shuts off quickly...like on full, and dims to off in like a minute or less.
I use the Elzetta Alpha for a pocket sized backup as it uses one battery, fits in my pocket and never fails to light.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Again piggy backing monocrom...a backup is a must!...a rechargeable light with a battery that has discharge protection shuts off quickly...like on full, and dims to off in like a minute or less.
I use the Elzetta Alpha for a pocket sized backup as it uses one battery, fits in my pocket and never fails to light.

Sorry, I can't agree with that part. Have the perfect example why. Nearly a decade ago, I worked 3rd shift (4pm - Midnight) inside the giant Con-Ed complex in NYC. I was trying out a rechargeable light in order to save money on batteries. Honestly, I should have gone with a reliable and time-tested model (Streamlight UltraStinger, MagCharger, etc.), but didn't know any better at the time. Checking a dark-as-Hell tank farm with numerous exposed pipes, and narrow stairs needed to navigate before reaching one of the very few exits.... The rechargeable light cut out on me. Yup, the protection kicked in. No way to override it.

I was literally in a dark place surrounded by hazards I couldn't see. Reached for my back-up light that ran off of primaries, and got the Hell out of there. Last thing in a situation like that I want to worry about is whether the rechargeable cells in my back-up are going to suddenly cut out as well.

The ones that slowly dim are just as bad. You start out checking a potentially dangerous area of a client's site. Turn on the light, and it looks good. Plenty of output. You start out.... when you're deep into a potentially hazardous area, that's when the light slowly and steadily dims on you. Now there's not enough light to finish up or perhaps safely get back to the main desk or the Guard Shack.

With a time-tested and reliable main light that you keep charged up, the primaries in your back-up light should last a long time. With two rechargeable lights, you run the very real risk that one day (months down the road) your main light goes down. You go for your rechargeable back-up, and even with slow drain/discharge over those months; the battries are not going to be 100%. Likely not even close to it. Now it's a potential disaster because you're relying on possibly half-dead cells in that back-up light. Not good. That's just not going to be an issue with, for example, lithium primaries (AA, AAA, or CR123s) sitting around for months at a time in a back-up light before needing to be used. You just know those cells are going to be 100%

Last edited:

WigglyTheGreat

Newly Enlightened
If you need a light to illuminate at distance I would consider one of the XP-L HI lights that have been coming out lately. An Armytek Predator or Dobermann Pro XP-L HI might be a good option. I have the Armytek Predator Pro XP-L HI (excellent throw and useable spill plus 40mm diffusers fit this light) and I like how they do the modes on it. You can use it strictly one mode which is high mode so there is no confusion when using it. Just turn it on or off in high mode and the tail switch has momentary too. Then if need be you can access the secondary modes by twisting the light head and you can set the secondary mode to strobe or another level. Nitecore, Eagletac, Olight and other manufacturers have some Xp-L HI lights to choose from too, but I don't have experience with those.

Last edited:

gilly

Enlightened
If you are willing to invest some $$, consider getting a Malkoff Hound Dog. Has a very usable low mode and on high is a light cannon. Use with the MD4 body with two rechargeable 18650s or four CR123A primaries.

Made in the USA and lifetime guarantee. Can't beat the customer support and service of the owner, Gene. He is the BEST.

A lot of us carry this light for duty in Law Enforcement.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If you are willing to invest some $$, consider getting a Malkoff Hound Dog. Has a very usable low mode and on high is a light cannon. Use with the MD4 body with two rechargeable 18650s or four CR123A primaries.

Made in the USA and lifetime guarantee. Can't beat the customer support and service of the owner, Gene. He is the BEST.

A lot of us carry this light for duty in Law Enforcement.

Considering he's a brand new member with only one post, I'm going to assume he has no clue regarding the dangers involved in using CR123 primaries or 18650 rechargeables (or similar types of cells.) For us, such cells are fine. But since he needs good options now, he'd be better off with safer chemistries in the batteries. Not as bright. But just as reliable.

dpadams6

Newly Enlightened
Considering he's a brand new member with only one post, I'm going to assume he has no clue regarding the dangers involved in using CR123 primaries or 18650 rechargeables (or similar types of cells.) For us, such cells are fine. But since he needs good options now, he'd be better off with safer chemistries in the batteries. Not as bright. But just as reliable.
I've heard this mentioned before regarding the batteries. And I've never had a problem with either one. I also carry this light on duty. A fantastic light that has served me well.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've heard this mentioned before regarding the batteries. And I've never had a problem with either one. I also carry this light on duty. A fantastic light that has served me well.

No doubt, Gene makes fantastic products. And, good to hear you've never had issues with either type of cells. But I know of members who have. Including one who suffered long-term health problems and financial troubles after a venting issue took place. He even posted about it on CPF. With follow-up posts in that topic. Last I checked, years later, he still has major health issues.

There's just no getting around the fact that these types of cells are literally toxic to human-beings when something goes wrong, and they vent. It hasn't happened to you. It hasn't happened to me. But that doesn't mean it never will. And, it has happened to other CPFers. Not just that one individual mentioned above.

Those are realistic potential dangers someone new to CPF just doesn't need to deal with.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My alpha runs off a 123. I use battery station lithiums. One night it went dim. I reached my pocket and pulled out another battery. 30 seconds later I was back in action thanks to practicing hurridly swapping a battery. Another reason I like the Alpha is there are less threads than many other lights. A chief complaint by many, but a boon imo. It takes an extra second or two to ensure you start off correctly. But in about 3 rotations you're done.

But lately my Streamlights like a couple of polytacs have come with US made Duracell 123 lithiums....not Streamlight batteries.

Something like a Streamlight Stylus or Microstream are also decent lights for backup and run off alkalines if one chooses. And neither have that famous Streamlight barely loosened tail cap lockout thing.

I'm considering a Streamlight Survivor. And have my eye on the Stinger Classic LED.

Last edited: