Umbrella valves

Borad

Enlightened
Occasionally I hear about pressure buildup from venting, and who knows how often a simple valve could have prevented an explosion or rupture of a case. I think Maglite's solution on at least some of their flashlights is an O-ring with a triangular cross section that allows venting from inside out. I don't know if such O-rings are available to other manufacturers, but I know that umbrella valves like Pelican uses are. A company called Minivalve has a form on their website for free samples of "over 50 different miniature valve components." Just drill a hole and push in the valve. It may require a flat spot on the body of the light. Why not offer a light with an umbrella valve? Waterproof cell phone manufacturers should use them too. Or maybe they do but I never heard about it.

ArmyTek

Enlightened
Occasionally I hear about pressure buildup from venting, and who knows how often a simple valve could have prevented an explosion or rupture of a case. I think Maglite's solution on at least some of their flashlights is an O-ring with a triangular cross section that allows venting from inside out. I don't know if such O-rings are available to other manufacturers, but I know that umbrella valves like Pelican uses are. A company called Minivalve has a form on their website for free samples of "over 50 different miniature valve components." Just drill a hole and push in the valve. It may require a flat spot on the body of the light. Why not offer a light with an umbrella valve? Waterproof cell phone manufacturers should use them too. Or maybe they do but I never heard about it.

Thank you for your post here. I will send this information for discussion to our technical department.

It`s interesting what other CPF members think about that :)

Borad

Enlightened
I didn't realize I was posting to ArmyTek's section. I thought there was a section that includes all manufacturers but now I don't see one. But thanks for the fast response!

oeL

Newly Enlightened
It`s interesting what other CPF members think about that :)

When using Liion cells, usually there will be no slow pressure build up. In the (extremely rare) case of a thermal runaway, the cell would vent out hot gases extremely fast and "explosion-like".
I encourage flashlight manufactures to think about this - how can I construct my flashlight that the danger of severe injuries is avoided or limited? This can be a pressure valve - but its diameter should be big enough to divert hot gases fast enough. And it never should be directed towards the user (holding the flashlight in regular position). But this also can be a "predetermined breaking point" - the head of the flashlight crashes, the glas pops out or something like this, and hot gases can escape the body without danger.

Of course we need to make a difference between flashlights one holds in his hand and headlamps - the "safe direction" where flames will not cause injuries is not the same.

If something like this could be included in future Armytek models - go for it :twothumbs