*Coming* Zebralight H603c/d and H502g/pr Headlamps

kj2

Flashaholic
Just noticed this on ZL's google spreadsheet,

2uh23kg.jpg
mihwlj.jpg

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WRnPsoYXE9oYKMievC1NOWQyrvSVk8HxkkEMBjAPo_s/edit#gid=0

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm surprised to see the colors again. The past models seemed to sell like electric blankets in the middle of summer. Regardless...

ZL_options.jpg

I like it :)

kj2

Flashaholic
Wavelength of that Photo Red looks good. Always wanted a HDS Hyper Red but it was out of reach. This might fill the gap :)

Sulik

Newly Enlightened
Is it silly to hope on non chrome bezel on H603? Black duct tape to take off a mini-hotspot.

Last edited:

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wavelength of that Photo Red looks good. Always wanted a HDS Hyper Red but it was out of reach. This might fill the gap :)

That wavelength is really interesting--I had not noticed that until you pointed it out.

That's a deep red! Not the normal orangey 620-630 color that passes for red in the LED world.

However, that means a significant reduction in perceived brightness. This part of the wavelength is so far out on the edge of the visible curve that you have to put in a lot more milliwatts to get out the same number of lumens. I am actually pretty surprised that they can get 100 lumens out of it, the same number that they have been getting from their 620-630 red. If you look at the curve for weighting the various wavelengths when you move from radiant flux to luminous flux, you can see that there is a really steep drop-off right around this range. (I won't put in links, but just check the Wiki page on Luminous Flux).

I have played around with this a little bit with the 5mm LEDs used in Photon lights. Moving from the stock 620 to a 660 wavelength produced a huge drop off in apparent brightness, like I would say a factor of four or more holding current constant. How is Zebralight doing it?

Still, the reds in that region really are gorgeous. I hope they can pull it off, and I will buy one.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Separate question: why is there no more recent LED than the XP-E that makes a decent red LED?

In white LEDs, that is about four generations old, right? XPG, XML, XPL and XHP are all more recent platforms.

Why have none of those newer emitters been given a red version?

snakyjake

Enlightened
What application will these lights have?
I'm hoping ZL will eventually make a reading headlamp, floody, maybe red, or maybe high CRI at low lumen.

geokite

Newly Enlightened
Wondering the same about the green 502. Long term, difficult to power yard locations, to decorate the house during December? Or March?

I'll probably get the H603d. After getting my first d light (SC52d), I bought two H502d for knuckle lights (for running). Great color light. I would probably gift my current H602.

I could see some appreciating a headlight for use in a dark room for developing film. I'm curious if it would make a better tail light for biking.

Steve

geokite

Newly Enlightened
Curious that this most recent AA light does not have reverse polarity protection. Makes me think they just changed out the LED, and nothing else.

Steve

Sulik

Newly Enlightened
And now the question. How to distinguish r and pr? Sticker on the box. What else?

geokite

Newly Enlightened
And now the question. How to distinguish r and pr? Sticker on the box. What else?

Reminds me of an earlier post by myself. Why are there no printing on the side of the headlights to indicate what it is? The flashlights have it. Any recommendations for putting some sort of tag on these?

Steve

Sulik

Newly Enlightened
Comparison to HC30? Any thoughts?
ZL is famous for not coping anybody. HC30 - is a brand copy. Good, simple copy.
But comparing it's light... "Heaven & earth."

Upd: ofcourse I compare with H600. 602/603 has no analogues.

Last edited: