EDC Thrower upgrade from Maglite XL50

morninglightmountain

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I have a Maglite XL50 currently, and I've been very pleased with the light over the years. I would have had no idea there were significantly higher performing lights were it not for stumbling across this forum. However, after quite a few drops and some battery leakage, it won't turn on reliably so I'm looking for a new EDC and making the upgrade to a 18650 light.

Need-to-have:
-small, under 5 inches preferably and slim. The only thing holding me back from the Nitecore MH-20 is its large head - I wear slim-fitting jeans (not skinny, think Levi 514). I want to emphasize the form factor so it will be comfortable enough for me to actually EDC.
-tail switch on/off. I've gotten use to the "ice-pick" grip with my XL50. I'd be fine with mode switches on the side, just not the power.
-crenulated bezel - I want the self-defense capability.
-long throw; according to the internet, my XL50 should throw 220 yards. I think this 220 claim is a stretch, but either way, my new light should outperform the Maglite.
-bright enough to be useful in a self-defense scenario
-great battery runtime
-under $100

Nice-to-have:
-800+ lumens (this isn't quite as important as the throw requirement)
-18650 battery compatibility
-USB recharging
-firefly/moon mode

I'm sure 1 light won't meet all of my needs, but I'd appreciate any suggestions!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is an ocean of 1x18650 lights out there that are slim and easy to EDC. All of them out throw the XL50 easily. I have had a half dozen of the XL series and know where you are coming from. No...the XL50 doesnt even do half its claimed distance.

I could list a dozen lights but since you say you want a thrower that is EDC able I strongly suggest the Nitecore P12GT. It is the farthest throwing light in its class. It is thermally regulated, has the latest throw specific emitter, has voltage readout, low voltage warning, SOS, Strobe and Beacon modes as well. Go to Nitecores website and check it out. I love mine. Also choose your 18650 wisely as well as a charger for it. There are countless good 3400mah 18650's out there. Avoid 18650's with "fire" in the name those are fake.

So it will cost you up front but a good quality 3400,3500 or 3600mah 18650 from any of the big names like Keeppower, Orbtronic, Olight even Fenix and Nitecores own brand name 3400mah cells are great.

Charger anything by Xtar...

P12GT has well spaced output modes and its turbo mode will knock your socks off...

7tisix

Newly Enlightened
+1 on P12GT, but it is longer than 5 inches. Check out the "S3" EDC Flashlight V2 - Triple LED - 18650 at mountain electronics. It's under 5 inches and very configurable.

morninglightmountain

Newly Enlightened
There is an ocean of 1x18650 lights out there that are slim and easy to EDC. All of them out throw the XL50 easily. I have had a half dozen of the XL series and know where you are coming from. No...the XL50 doesnt even do half its claimed distance.

I could list a dozen lights but since you say you want a thrower that is EDC able I strongly suggest the Nitecore P12GT. It is the farthest throwing light in its class. It is thermally regulated, has the latest throw specific emitter, has voltage readout, low voltage warning, SOS, Strobe and Beacon modes as well. Go to Nitecores website and check it out. I love mine. Also choose your 18650 wisely as well as a charger for it. There are countless good 3400mah 18650's out there. Avoid 18650's with "fire" in the name those are fake.

So it will cost you up front but a good quality 3400,3500 or 3600mah 18650 from any of the big names like Keeppower, Orbtronic, Olight even Fenix and Nitecores own brand name 3400mah cells are great.

Charger anything by Xtar...

P12GT has well spaced output modes and its turbo mode will knock your socks off...

The P12GT looks phenomenal, although longer than what I've been considering. Do you pocket carry? Clip or no?

I'd be willing to sacrifice some of that throw for a shorter light. But most great shorter lights ive found don't have the tail switch.

morninglightmountain

Newly Enlightened
+1 on P12GT, but it is longer than 5 inches. Check out the "S3" EDC Flashlight V2 - Triple LED - 18650 at mountain electronics. It's under 5 inches and very configurable.

Thanks, the 10511 option looks good I think. It's out of stock though. Any idea how long it takes them generally to replace stock?

morninglightmountain

Newly Enlightened
Triples in small lights, typically don't throw, they're floody.

Have you looked at any of the Vinh modified lights?

No, but I'm not against the idea in concept. Any in particular you'd recommend? A quick Google search didn't turn up a recent product list.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think there is anything that completely forfills your wants, but the Eagletac DX30LC2-R might be worth a consideration?