Need a reading and walking around the house red filter light

slungshot

Newly Enlightened
The main purpose for this light is to find a light that can be used up close for reading in bed to seeing out around 10 yards. The main problem with a normal light is this light either needs to be a red bulb or have a red diffuser that I can add onto it.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

__X__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

__X__Up to $50.

3) Format:

__X__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

__X__TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
__X__SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

__X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

__X__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

__X__I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
__X__I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

__X__I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
__X__I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

__X__All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
__X__Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
__X__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

__X__30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
__X__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

__X__Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

Either will do:

__X__I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
__X__I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

__X__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

__X__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).

15) Water resistance
__X__None needed
____IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions
__X__In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

__X__Red filter (for preserving night vision).
Must have for this light

Last edited:

1DaveN

Enlightened
Personally, I'd call the Fenix Store and see if they have a red filter that fits the PD25. It's slightly over your budget, but it's got a 5-lumen low mode that I use all the time around the house, plus higher modes in case you need them. I run mine on a CR123A, but with the current sale, Fenix Store includes a 16340 Li-Ion. It took me quite a while to find the perfect around-the-house light, but in my opinion, this is it.

gwhiz

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore MT10A may be of interest. Can be found within stated budget via group buy or a sale.