Neutral white 12V LED floodlights?

weaselblade

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to add some roof-rack mounted auxiliary lighting to my van; I'd like to be able to see what's around me when maneuvering on logging roads in the dark without sticking a flashlight out the window, and it will likely get used as task lighting for general camp stuff. Obviously this would be exclusively for off-road use, and separately switched from headlights/running lights etc.

I'm thinking ~7 lights spaced around the rack covering everything except straight ahead, individually controlled.

I *hate* cool white LEDs; I'd really like something neutral tint, or warmish in a pinch.

The ideal would be a super wide beam, 70 degrees or more. I'd like at least 1500 lumens per unit, but if there's something otherwise ideal that's dimmer I suppose I could add more lights. And I don't want to spend a fortune.

Thus far I get the impression I'm SOL on the neutral white portion at the least. Anyone seen such a thing?

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I'm thinking ~7 lights spaced around the rack covering everything except straight ahead, individually controlled. The ideal would be a super wide beam, 70 degrees or more. I'd like at least 1500 lumens per unit, And I don't want to spend a fortune.

These wants are mutually incompatible (assuming you also want lamps that aren't fall-apart trash); I'm afraid you're probably going to have to either spend more or get less than you have in mind. That said, what is "a fortune" to you?

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Searching for the same. Need a work light powered by 12V DC, want neutral or warm. Most work lights are cool for some reason.

See Amazon:
QUANS [10W/20W/30W] Warm White 12V DC LED Security Flood (around $15 to $40)
LEMONBEST LED Security Flood Warm (around $25)
GLW brand

...none of these are confidence-inspiring quality lights, but they are at least neutral-warm tint. A fair amount of commentary on Amazon regards the lumens of these lights being hugely inflated.

Defender.com is a wholesale-priced marine outlet. Quality and prices of the 12V DC lights are higher. Have a look.
http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1&id=65136

Last edited by a moderator:

calflash

Enlightened
I would love to see some work lights with Nichia 219B LEDs, but haven't found such a thing yet. These suggestions are given based on what I consider neutral to be:

I have used Grote Trilliant 26 work lights and like the size and mounting options. IIRC they advertised 5400K and the light they produced was definitely more pleasing to work with than my other work lights.

Another option are JW Speaker work lights. They offer a lot of sizes and outputs and most are at 5000K. I know they have a reputation for being a bit higher priced but I've found their new pricing structure very palatable when I've priced at my local distributer! Perhaps to help the cost side of things, fewer well placed lights with higher output would be worth investigating.

Crashking

Newly Enlightened
Another company to look at would be Baja Designs. All of their lights are 5000k. If you look into the squadron pros, they offer a flood pattern at 4,500 lumens per light and a lifetime warranty. Probably more expensive then what you may want to spend, but you would need less lights for the same task, and they are built to last.

i can attest their lights are truly brighter than eBay specials, and even rigid industries.
i disliked the 6000k color that Rigid lights put out. The Baja lights are definitely true to their color!

no I'm not sponsored, or work for them, I'm just another light nut like the rest of us.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another company to look at would be Baja Designs. All of their lights are 5000k.
Not exactly neutral, either. Better than 6000K, sure.

But from a genuine engineering/performance standpoint, I'd skip Baja Designs and go with the JW Speaker TS3001 series or the Cibié Super Oscar LEDs, and just go with the color temp they stick me with.

Crashking

Newly Enlightened
Not exactly neutral, either. Better than 6000K, sure.

But from a genuine engineering/performance standpoint, I'd skip Baja Designs and go with the JW Speaker TS3001 series or the Cibié Super Oscar LEDs, and just go with the color temp they stick me with.

If the OP didn't hate the cool white color, I think I'd understand. However I don't get the genuine engineering/performance point of view?

The Baja LEDs are actually very warm/neutral in color, maybe I'll try and get some pictures of them that represent their output. And they are actually Keeping up with new LED technology. I currently have 2 pairs of their XL-R80 lights which are using the cree XHP50 LEDs in a 4 LED configuration for 9500 lumen output each light.

I couldn't find a lumen rating for the JW speaker lights, nor a kelvin rating. Only outdated candela ratings.
They are rated only to IP67 vs IP69 for BD. Do most people need 3 meter underwater rating? No, but Rigid industries is rated to IP67, and of the 6 pairs of small auxiliary lights I had from them, and 5 light bars. 3 pairs of the auxiliary lights and 2 of the light bars got water in them without being submerged. That doesn't speak to the quality of the JW speaker lights, they may be better. I haven't owned them so I can't say for sure.

the price is similar between the 2. But I don't think the output would be anywhere close for total lumens

The Cibies would be close to what the OP asked for as far as amount of lumens, but they are 6000k and about $240 each light... Rather on the expensive side for the lumens you get, and from what I could find, it's a road light and not a flood/area light (off-road) like what the OP was asking for

im not attacking you, just trying to understand your statement.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
However I don't get the genuine engineering/performance point of view?
Yes, you don't get it.

Baja, like Rigid, PIAA, and KC, all back their products with amazing warranties, because that's how cheaply they can produce them. It's easier to under-deliver on other aspects of performance beyond durability, such as proper optical design.

The Baja LEDs are actually very warm/neutral in color
Perhaps, but that doesn't mean they perform well in other ways. Perhaps for a real off-road situation at rock-crawl speeds, it doesn't matter much. But when on a dusty, windy mountain road trying to get to the fun places, they won't work quite as well. Maybe that's the OP's genuine intent-- to never use them except when doing those "Jeep" kinds of things.

I couldn't find a lumen rating for the JW speaker lights, nor a kelvin rating. Only outdated candela ratings.
Outdated? No, it's correct.

They are rated only to IP67 vs IP69 for BD. Do most people need 3 meter underwater rating? No, but Rigid industries is rated to IP67, and of the 6 pairs of small auxiliary lights I had from them, and 5 light bars. 3 pairs of the auxiliary lights and 2 of the light bars got water in them without being submerged. That doesn't speak to the quality of the JW speaker lights, they may be better. I haven't owned them so I can't say for sure.
IP69 means it's not vented like a very great number of lamps are (factory headlamps, for one). Without venting, moisture that gets in *stays* in and can ruin a lamp.

the price is similar between the 2. But I don't think the output would be anywhere close for total lumens
Lumens isn't the end-all for a lamp's performance.

Rereading what the OP really wants, I can see that maybe the Baja product will fit the bill-- but I still can't rank them above JW Speaker or most Cibié offerings.