Klarus        
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: TorchLAB V5 Triple LED drop ins - Programming, 3500L, Secondary LED

Default Re: TorchLAB V5 Triple LED drop ins - Programming, 3500L, Secondary LED

Guys

Anyone noticed stepping down from the after-burner setting at the 10 second mark, every time?

I've got mine in a torchlab body with Surefire adapter, running AW 2 x 18350 batteries. I've tried several freshly charged pairs and am using a zero-rez switch ... yet every time around the 10 second mark it starts stepping down about 3 times a few seconds apart, then remains pretty stable. I've tried this when the flashlight is room temperature, hot, and even with the bezel in a mug of water.

I've also tried resetting the temp cut-off to 65 degrees C to ensure that's not the issue.

Any ideas? My AWs are a few years old (not the current 800 mah ones), but have not been used much at all.

Cheers
    Andrew

Mine does the same thing, exact same setup

Default TorchLAB V5 Triple LED drop ins - Programming, 3500L, Secondary LED

Quote Originally Posted by boafish View Post
    At least its not just mine playing up. Hopefully its something simple we're missing mate, and that some expert here can chime in to advise.

I've tried loading the factory default settings also, just in case, but the results are the same.
    Last edited by d337944; 01-07-2016 at 01:59 AM.

Mine steps down quickly on a pair of 18350's also, regardless of tailcap. Thought it was my McClicky adding resistance, switched to a ZeroRes. I figured the cells can push the amps required for Afterburner, but at that draw the voltage sag on the small cells was the issue. 2x18650 does not step down... I'm sure ElectronGuru will be along shortly...

Thanks for that info Scout24 ... Maybe that's it, since all my 18350s do the same. I've got AW 18500s on order for a bored 9P, so hopefully they might also do the trick. Cheers!

Mine steps down as described above as well on 2 x 18350's with ZeroResShorty. Even with battery stretch turned off, I am getting the step down from After Burner.

ETA: My cells are efest purple rated at 7A discharge.
    Last edited by Dingle1911; 01-07-2016 at 08:02 AM. Reason: cells used
    Promethean #46

That was only my opinion, don't quote me!!! I'm sure EG will sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by d337944 View Post
    Thanks for that info Scout24 ... Maybe that's it, since all my 18350s do the same. I've got AW 18500s on order for a bored 9P, so hopefully they might also do the trick. Cheers!

Sick2 Re: TorchLAB V5 Triple LED drop ins - Programming, 3500L, Secondary LED

Help me guys, my V5 XM-L clear optic with default setting arrived yesterday. so just able to test it out as 6P the host showed up today. i'm try reprograming the light via the website. and follow the instruction the oveready site. just re-programming to RHML but after done the programming as red light off. i switch on the light but after the red light it goes fllick once and press again turn red and same thing goes on. i try to re-program again with turn the programming mode on the light but the light seem not receive the programming as the light keep turn red. i try to do that almost five minutes but still the red light not turning of means it didnt receive the program. i'm using zerorez brass insert. and single cell XTAR IMR 2200 mAh rating 25 amp freshly charged. i pulled the cell out a leave the drop-in without connection for more than 10 minutes. but after repeat the programming mode still having a same problem.
    Last edited by paskal; 01-07-2016 at 10:00 AM. Reason: add more details
    i'm lurker

That does sound like the light isn't receiving the new code. Is the brightness of your monitor turned all the way up to maximum?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post
    That does sound like the light isn't receiving the new code. Is the brightness of your monitor turned all the way up to maximum?
    Agree, my iPhone has to be full brightness to program, same with CPU monitor.

I also found that I hold the light about 2"-3" off the screen. If I rest the light directly on my phone screen the light doesn't receive the new program.
    Promethean #46

Whatever device you're using to program, adjust the screen to maximum brightness. Maybe programming in a dark environment will help?

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle1911 View Post
    I also found that I hold the light about 2"-3" off the screen. If I rest the light directly on my phone screen the light doesn't receive the new program.
    I always just set my light upright on my phone, bezel to glass. Works like a charm.

You might also consider the ambient lighting as well. Especially if you have a crenelated bezel. If the ambient light is too bright (sunlight), then the signals from the screen may not have enough contrast to be picked up by the module.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

thanks all. yeah been setting my desktop to full blast brightness. after do some trial and error i found that bounce sensor adjustment is the culprit. at first i'm setting it at very sensitive level. after i change it to low level now its follow all my programming. the only problem now is cant get the bounce switch function. it's not switching to red ambient light when my bezel close to any surface. even if i set it to 'no change'.
    i'm lurker

When you put the light into programming mode, the red indicator light illuminates, showing it's ready to accept the new code? After the video has been played to the light, the red indicator light goes out, then you click the switch once to turn it off? If this is true, then the programming does seem to be accepted by the light.

By the statement of flick once do you mean that when you try to turn on the light that it flashes white light brightly for a split second, then the red indicator LED turns on? If so, then the culprit is likely the bounce being set too high.

Quote Originally Posted by paskal View Post
    thanks all. yeah been setting my desktop to full blast brightness. after do some trial and error i found that bounce sensor adjustment is the culprit. at first i'm setting it at very sensitive level. after i change it to low level now its follow all my programming. the only problem now is cant get the bounce switch function. it's not switching to red ambient light when my bezel close to any surface. even if i set it to 'no change'.
    I didn't think bounce sensor level had anything to do with "programming" sensitivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post
    When you put the light into programming mode, the red indicator light illuminates, showing it's ready to accept the new code? After the video has been played to the light, the red indicator light goes out, then you click the switch once to turn it off? If this is true, then the programming does seem to be accepted by the light.

By the statement of flick once do you mean that when you try to turn on the light that it flashes white light brightly for a split second, then the red indicator LED turns on? If so, then the culprit is likely the bounce being set too high.
    yep it's flick once. from the previous setting i set the bounce sensitivity to 100 and when change to low all functional according to my setting
    Last edited by paskal; 01-07-2016 at 03:55 PM.
    i'm lurker

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    I didn't think bounce sensor level had anything to do with "programming" sensitivity.
    that happen when i select between 100 to 80. my drop in received that setting and when i switched on the light the second level after read its turn flick once and any other level not functioning.
    i'm lurker

Flashaholic

yep it's flick once. i think the sensor dont receive the programming correctly. my mistake maybe because the screen are too dim or the ambient light are too bright. but yeah. from the previous setting i set the bounce sensitivity to 100 and when change to low all functional according to my setting
    This makes sense if you had bounce sensitivity set to 100. I've found that using a single cell you need to set the sensitivity to 95 or 97 before the protection kicks in. Having said that, I don't bother setting it higher than 75, as heat levels aren't an issue unless I'm using 2 cells.

Quote Originally Posted by d337944 View Post
    Anyone noticed stepping down from the after-burner setting at the 10 second mark, every time?
    Any ideas? My AWs are a few years old (not the current 800 mah ones), but have not been used much at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by boafish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Mine steps down quickly on a pair of 18350's also, regardless of tailcap. Thought it was my McClicky adding resistance, switched to a ZeroRes. I figured the cells can push the amps required for Afterburner, but at that draw the voltage sag on the small cells was the issue. 2x18650 does not step down... I'm sure ElectronGuru will be along shortly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingle1911 View Post
    Mine steps down as described above as well on 2 x 18350's with ZeroResShorty. Even with battery stretch turned off, I am getting the step down from After Burner.

ETA: My cells are efest purple rated at 7A discharge.
    Sorry guys. It could be the switch or the battery or the setting, but there may be something else going on. PMs Sent

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Not technically, but when 1) bounce is set to high and 2) activated immediately, it 3) tends to throw people off, preventing a smooth timing of the 222 code entry. It can take practice such that feedback from the LEDs doesn't affect your timing at the boot.

that happen when i select between 100 to 80. my drop in received that setting and when i switched on the light the second level after red its turn flick once and any other level not functioning.
    Lets try some context and see if everything is happenig correctly...

There are two red levels, high and low. When selected as a mode, its only red high. When selected as a programming mode, it starts off red low, then flashes high over the course of half a minute. Once you get red, leave it alone for a bit and wait for the flashing. This will confirm its ready for loading. If youre getting this far, everything else is the loading itself. Bright screen, dark room, etc.

How far are you getting?
    Last edited by ElectronGuru; 01-07-2016 at 06:05 PM.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum
    | OR Insider | OVEREADY.com

ElectronGuru- Thanks for looking into this for us.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post

There are two red levels, high and low. When selected as a mode, its only red high. When selected as a programming mode, it starts off red low, then flashes high over the course of half a minute. Once you get red, leave it alone for a bit and wait for the flashing. This will confirm its ready for loading. If youre getting this far, everything else is the loading itself. Bright screen, dark room, etc.

How far are you getting?
    Hey Dan, thanks. yeah now everything fine. now getting use of it. after read and re-read and doing series of trials and errors everything good to go. really like these drop-in. thanks for making this great drop-in. sure will get more from you soon
    i'm lurker

Sorry guys. It could be the switch or the battery or the setting, but there may be something else going on. PMs Sent
    Curious as to what's going on. I notice a quick step down on mine too. As well as modes "sticking" and not advancing to the next.

Andrew
    I used to be afraid of the dark. Now, the dark is afraid of me.

Quote Originally Posted by S1LVA View Post
    Curious as to what's going on. I notice a quick step down on mine too. As well as modes "sticking" and not advancing to the next.

Andrew
    I've noticed modes "sticking" as well but thought I was just switching through them too fast. It's less of an issue than the 5 second ab mode though.

Quote Originally Posted by S1LVA View Post

Andrew
    Same here with the "sticking" - it seems to be intermittent though. I've also tried dropping the max output programming by 3-4 steps, and the dimming issue still occurs for me.

Thanks for following up on this for us EG, cheers.
    Last edited by d337944; 01-10-2016 at 03:35 AM.

Mine with 2 x AW18350 starts to step down at around 30 second and keep stepping down for another 3 steps in about every 5 second then it become stable.
    Is that normal? Anyway to program it to keep the light on Hi longer?
    Thanks for the help.
    Joseph

Sorry for the confusion. Dimming by itself is not indicative of an issue with the module. 30w is a lot of power in such a small package. This puts considerable strain on the switch, the batteries, and the thermal envelop of the host. Left unchecked at full power under all conditions, these can fail - leaving you in the dark or worse.

To compensate, the v5 engine includes a series of monitors and adjusters. Checks that the batteries are up to the task, checks that the switch isn't about to fail, checks that the light is not getting dangerously hot. When it finds any of these conditions, it reduces power until safe state is achieved. And it does so automatically and with any host you might install it into. Its normal to dim at 30-90 seconds, for any of these reasons. Changing to new/larger/better/freshcharge batteries can buy more time as can a larger host with better heatsinking.

The issues described above yours is something else. Dimming in under 5 seconds, to soon to be a normal reason. We have put production on hold and are currently working to determine why this is and once identified and corrected, will be working with all customers to resolve this one extra-cause of dimming. But once completed, all the other legitimate reasons will remain and should remain. As we can turn off any/all the safety systems, but do not consider them to be optional in light that is operated and relied upon every day.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum
    | OR Insider | OVEREADY.com

Did those of you that are experiencing quick and continued step downs add aluminum/copper strips to improve the drop-in to socket contact?

Smile Re: TorchLAB V5 Triple LED drop ins - Programming, 3500L, Secondary LED

Sorry for the confusion. Dimming by itself is not indicative of an issue with the module. 30w is a lot of power in such a small package. This puts considerable strain on the switch, the batteries, and the thermal envelop of the host. Left unchecked at full power under all conditions, these can fail - leaving you in the dark or worse.

To compensate, the v5 engine includes a series of monitors and adjusters. Checks that the batteries are up to the task, checks that the switch isn't about to fail, checks that the light is not getting dangerously hot. When it finds any of these conditions, it reduces power until safe state is achieved. And it does so automatically and with any host you might install it into. Its normal to dim at 30-90 seconds, for any of these reasons. Changing to new/larger/better/freshcharge batteries can buy more time as can a larger host with better heatsinking.

The issues described above yours is something else. Dimming in under 5 seconds, to soon to be a normal reason. We have put production on hold and are currently working to determine why this is and once identified and corrected, will be working with all customers to resolve this one extra-cause of dimming. But once completed, all the other legitimate reasons will remain and should remain. As we can turn off any/all the safety systems, but do not consider them to be optional in light that is operated and relied upon every day.
    Thank you so much Dan for your detail explaination. It really helps a lot to understand how's the V5 engine works!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast