The Fenix-Store        

Thread: EVVA Panasonic 18650 protected 3500 mAh do not fit in Malkoff MD4

*Flashaholic*

Default EVVA Panasonic 18650 protected 3500 mAh do not fit in Malkoff MD4

Well, it's official. I tried and tried. The new Panasonic 3500 mAh cell in the protected version by EVVA does not fit into the MD4 body that comes with Hound Dog.

I don't know if it's the new 3500 mAh capacity that's the problem, or most likely, they way they wrapped it. You can get it inside if you squeeze real hard, and push it in using another battery that does in easily, say the older style AW 2600 mAh protected ones.

And once you get it in, almost impossible to get it out. You have to push and squeeze real hard with something. I have a feeling that will either end up damaging the cell, or something. I am going to use these new cells in my FiveMega 4x123 body, since it's on the other end of the spectrum, too loose.

Unwrapping them is not an option, since the PCB is under there and slightly boring out the MD4 body is not an option either since I like the tight fit you get with other cells, like Redilast 3400 mAh.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Default Re: EVVA Panasonic 18650 protected 3500 mAh do not fit in Malkoff MD4

I can chime in with the exact same experience.

Can anyone recommend an affordable, protected, high capacity 18650 cell for the MD4 tube?

I'd be willing to sacrifice a little capacity for a guaranteed fit and $7.50–$9.00 per protected 18650 cell.

Could you measure the inner diameter of the flashlight or a fitting and a non fitting cell?

I got here 2 batches of Panasonic 18650B one seems to fit with a little force in my convoy S2+
    while the oter fit with a little space

also a lot of cells got 2 layers of plastic around em one original and one by brand or one with cell type and then another clear one which makes the cell a bit thicker

also take a fork or so with smoothe edge and do a little force on the wire from PCB to plus pole to bend it on the cell can make a the effective cell diameter a little less
    Last edited by Lexel; 10-31-2016 at 04:37 PM.

I have no problem running single unprotected cells in my lights with intelligent drivers that cut off discharge when the cell is at/near empty.

However, I only run protected cells in series lights.

I don't have a tool to measure the cell's diameter; however, my Eagletac 3400mAh cells did fit the MD4 tube.

Those cells are simply too expensive.

I'd be willing to drop down a few mAh for a protected cell guaranteed to fit.

The problem is not the cell, its the wrap arond it, often there are 2
    then the 2 insulation sheets for the flat wire and the wire itself

Of course; I agree 100%.

My question stands:

Can anyone recommend a protected 18650 cell in the USD 7.50–$9.00 range that will fit the MD4 without modifying the tube?

The closer to maximum 18650 capacity, the better. :-)

Flashaholic*

I don't have a definitive answer, but I recently got a OR 18650 bored Bravo and it's a mighty slim tube. The EVVA Sanyo GA protected cells don't even come close to fitting in there. I ended up using a Soshine 3400mAh protected cell, the fit was perfect. I can't remember what cell it uses, and I have not heard if they have changed since I got mine a few years back. I did order some more, because when I need a slim or short protected cell they are my goto cell. Next week I can check if the current ones are the same size, but right now they are worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    Well, it's official. I tried and tried. The new Panasonic 3500 mAh cell in the protected version by EVVA does not fit into the MD4 body that comes with Hound Dog.
    It's the Panasonic GA (3500mah) cell. See this discussion. The MD4 is also mentioned.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ow-retrofitted
    Last edited by hiuintahs; 11-01-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by hiuintahs View Post
    It's the Panasonic GA (3500mah) cell. See this discussion.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ow-retrofitted
    I didn't see anything in that thread that stated the cell in the Soshine 3400mAh battery. Maybe i missed it. I'm pretty sure it is not the GA in mine since they were purchased before the GA cells were readily available. The ones i own have good capacity so i suspect some early version of Panasonic cell, but i would not be surprised if they used different ones at different times, and the new ones may be GA or something else.

Sorry, I was referring to the OP's thread title. I have fixed with a quote.

try a KeepPower 2015 onwards. they fit even the tight zebra sc62

I (and Gene) run Keeppowers in the MD4. They're available in your price range from Illumination Supply.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by LEDAdd1ct View Post
    Of course; I agree 100%.

My question stands:

Can anyone recommend a protected 18650 cell in the USD 7.50–$9.00 range that will fit the MD4 without modifying the tube?

The closer to maximum 18650 capacity, the better. :-)
    Send an email to Orbtronic and you will get what you looking for.

Liion Wholesale has protected NCR18650GAs that fit the MD4, 8.95 each

Thank you to everybody for the advice/help.

I bought some

"18650 KeepPower 3500mAh Sanyo NCR18650GA Protected Button Top"

since it appears to be a little longer with the protection PCB but more importantly not very much wider.

I'll post back after they arrive to confirm that they fit.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by space-cowboy View Post
    Send an email to Orbtronic and you will get what you looking for.
    I had the same problem with the 3500 Panasonic Protected cells from Orbtronic... they didn't fit my M30 Olight Triton that has two 18650's. The 3500 cells did fit my SC 62, however they were tight in my SC600.

I emailed Sal and he told me that in my older Triton, the tube is narrow for the 3500's. Light was bought in 2009.

He suggested the Orbtronic 3100 Protected and they fit fine in the Triton.

The Keepower 3500 cells look like a good alternative as well.

I am quite disappointed to report that out of the five

"18650 KeepPower 3500mAh Sanyo NCR18650GA Protected Button Top"

cells I purchased, zero fit either my or my dad's Malkoff MD4 tube!

I really wish people wouldn't advertise these things as 18650 cells when their diameter is quite a bit larger than that with the protection circuit installed.

I have no issue running unprotected cells in single 18650 lights, but, will not run unprotected cells in series.

So, my choices are as follows:

1) Order the Soshine 3400mAh cells which are much narrower as described here and here

2) Gift the light to my dad with some 16650 2500mAh cells in series (which I got with my order)
    Last edited by LEDAdd1ct; 12-17-2016 at 01:37 PM.

*Flashaholic*

I bored the MD4 body and now they fit wonderfully, as do all cells.

Start with 220 grit although if you have 150 grit sandpaper that will work nicely also. Finish with 400 grit.

what started it was the MD3 body I got that didn't fit half the cells I got.

Now both work nicely.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart