turn up voltage or hi beam DRL's?

ken garchow

Newly Enlightened
my 2010 accord uses the hi beams for the DRL's running on a lower voltage (not sure how low) . They actually look pretty dull and dim.
i was wondering if it would be advisable to increase the voltage some, not all the way to 12 volts but enough to make them more distinct with out causing safety issues

thanks

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
No, that would really be a bad idea to tamper with the DRL operating voltage, even if it were readily possible to do. If your DRLs seem dimmer than they used to be, it's probably because the bulbs are severely stained as described in this post, and simply replacing the bulbs with new ones (upgrading to 9011 bulbs if you wish, as shown here) will return them -- and, more importantly, your high beams -- to full intensity.

If you wish to improve the safety performance of your DRLs, you'd be better off disabling the high beam DRLs entirely and installing a turn signal DRL module instead. Turn signal DRLs are visible through a much wider range of angles than high beam DRLs and accordingly (heh heh!) give a safety benefit in a larger variety of situations. They also cause less glare than high beam DRLs, and don't gradually erode the performance of the high beams as high beam DRLs do.

ken garchow

Newly Enlightened
virgil, i have changed the hi beams to 9011 and although better still look pretty sad, and the old bulbs did have the low voltage stain on them. also have thought of pulling the DRL fuse and turning the headlights on as DRL's.

using a "turn signal DRL module" is an interesting option, never heard of one. ill have to look at my cars to get an idea of how that would play out. what comes to mind first is that it would be like turning on the parking lights?

from a safety stand point what is best? i have read that some DRL's can cause oncoming traffic to mis judge distance
and u make it sound as if possibly amber is a better color than white?

thanks

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
have thought of pulling the DRL fuse and turning the headlights on as DRL's.

That's even more wasteful (and less safety-effective) than the cheap and nasty high beam DRLs Honda stuck you with. It would be a retrograde step.

using a "turn signal DRL module" is an interesting option, never heard of one.

You've certainly seen turn signal DRLs in action, though; many vehicles are equipped that way from the factory.

it would be like turning on the parking lights?

No. Parking lamps are not effective or legal as DRLs. We're talking about steady-burning operation of the front turn signals (bright mode, not their dim parking mode). Click the link I provided; it contains videos.

from a safety stand point what is best?

Probably functionally-dedicated white LED DRLs that are SAE-, ECE-, and/or DOT-compliant, made by a reputable maker. Such as one of these setups:kit, kit, kit, kit, kit, kit.

But any of those requires adding new lights to your vehicle because you can't go back in time and retroactively design them in an integrated manner into the front end/front lamps of your existing car, which means not only an installation hassle but also potentially sub-optimal location (such as lower than optimal). Other than that route, probably the turn signal DRL would be best.

i have read that some DRL's can cause oncoming traffic to mis judge distance

Yes, if they're too close together...such as the high beams on some vehicles that have very little separation between the left and right.

and u make it sound as if possibly amber is a better color than white?

There is some decent-quality evidence suggesting that.

ken garchow

Newly Enlightened
thanks that is such a succinct reply
saw all the videos of the hot rod lincoln
wasn't thinking of the bright feature of the turns as drl's

these long dark winter days are good for pondering lighting improvements