Sylvania Silverstar vs silverstar ultra

garyS-NJ

Newly Enlightened
In a recent post where a member is looking for more light from his OEM halogen reflectors, I just read about a 2014 court ruling against Sylvania for false advertising on their Silverstar bulb. CPF folks were saying the silverstars actually delivered less light than oem LL bulbs and have a shorter life. BUT just last night I put a set of Sylvania silverstar Ultra 9007 in my truck and wondering if that was a bad purchase. I expected more/better light trading off for less life. I couldn't find much out there comparing the silverstars to the silverstar ultras except this old 2013 consumer reports article that said none of the premium bulbs delivered more light. But not too long ago, one CPF member recommended the Phillips Extreme vision H4 for my motorcycle. Is there a halogen bulb that delivers "more light" for less life?

fastgun

Enlightened
Philips has a line of bulbs they market for motorcycles.

The Philips X-tremeVision Moto available in H4 is a +100 bulb. There are also other bulbs that are claimed to be +40, +30 in the motorcycle line.
I used X-tremPower (the forerunner of the X-tremeVision bulbs) in bikes and the +100 bulbs did a good job.

This was before they marketed bulbs to motorcycle riders as a seperate line of bulbs.

Last edited:

garyS-NJ

Newly Enlightened
thanks All.

For the bike I actually bought a OSRAM Rallye 70/65. I saved my old bulbs in case one of these go on the road but next time I'll look for that Phillips bulb. Just curious, do you folks know of any good test comparisons (the silverstar ultra vs the phillips extreme)??

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The Osram 70/65w is excellent. See this thread for comparison between that and the immediate forerunner of the Philips Xtreme Vision.

The test you ask about, Philips Xtreme versus Sylvania Silver Star, has been done, but that data (which was very unflattering to Sylvania) is not in the public domain.

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened
The Philips X-tremeVision Moto available in H4 is a +100 bulb.

They do look identical to the +100 X-treme Visions. But I guess by labeling them a 'Motorcycle' bulb, they can sell them as single bulbs and even charge an extra premium.

Not to be confused with the Philips Motovision bulbs from a while back which have some gimmicky dichroic coating (IIRC) to supposedly increase conspicuity.

PhillyRube

Enlightened
So these new Silverstar Ultras are just blue tinted lights with a clear stripe in the middle to make them look brighter? ???