Xtar VP2 vs. VC4: Trying to decide

GPS Rider

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

Expecting my first 18650 light soon, so need a charger! I think I've got the choice narrowed down to the VP2 or the VC4, but there's a bit of brain overload as I try to compare features! The VC4 seems more capable, but is there something I am missing? Does the VP2 have that killer feature that I am going to miss if I go for the VC4? Perhaps it's simply the more reliable charger?

Any help deciding will be appreciated!

GR

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both chargers and if you don't need NiMH, 4 bays, or USB support, the VP2 is the better charger IMO. Faster, more flexible for li-ions and very safe.

Chris

Hey all,

Expecting my first 18650 light soon, so need a charger! I think I've got the choice narrowed down to the VP2 or the VC4, but there's a bit of brain overload as I try to compare features! The VC4 seems more capable, but is there something I am missing? Does the VP2 have that killer feature that I am going to miss if I go for the VC4? Perhaps it's simply the more reliable charger?

Any help deciding will be appreciated!

GR

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use mt XTAR VP2 the most of all my chargers, I have two of these; I use the XTAR SP2 for charging 26650 batteries because it can supply 2 amps to two batteries simultaneously.

hammerjoe

Enlightened
I use mt XTAR VP2 the most of all my chargers, I have two of these; I use the XTAR SP2 for charging 26650 batteries because it can supply 2 amps to two batteries simultaneously.

Do you have a link for that charger that doesn 2A per slot? or do you meant each slot can do 1A?

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a link for that charger that doesn 2A per slot? or do you meant each slot can do 1A?
You would not want to charge 18650 batteries at 2 amps; as I wrote I charge 26650 batteries at 2 amps.

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
You would not want to charge 18650 batteries at 2 amps; as I wrote I charge 26650 batteries at 2 amps.
Lupine charges 18650 Panas at 2.5 amps with the "charger one". The batteries apparently will take it with a real good charger.

ven

Flashaholic
Lupine charges 18650 Panas at 2.5 amps with the "charger one". The batteries apparently will take it with a real good charger.

Is that a multi cell light?, if so it will charge the cells at 2.5a between the X amount if makes sense. I dont know the light in question though:)

2.5a is too high for a single 18650 without drastically shortening its life .

ven

Flashaholic
Quick search shows 8.4v at 2.5a which i presume 2x 18650 4.2v at 1.25a which is fine...........

1DaveN

Enlightened
I got the VP2 because it can charge to 4.35 volts. I don't have any cells that require that so far, but I've been happy with it for the 18650, 14500, and 16340s I do have.

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks to all who have responded so far! If I get the VC4, what I would I be missing from the VP2?

A more pleasing to the eye display with a more accurate reading(imo anyway), an actual 1a charge, not hit and miss depending on a whim!! I went through apple/s and other charger plugs with more than the required rating to no avail. Also the correct USB lead in perfect condition.......... Smaller more compact size for portability .

Other way round ,missing another 2 bays as apposed to the vp2, no nimh support,probably more inc a HUGE display........which is not ideal having to cycle through when more bays used.

Check out the opus bt c3100 v2.2 for a good do it all charger(nimh too like the vc4), 4 bays at 1a, 2 bays at 1.5 for quicker IMR/INR charges or 2a for 26650 cells.

Out of the 2, for me the vp2 every time...........even a few $ more and get 2 x vp2's

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
ven Out of the 2 said:
That was my choice too, I bought two VP2's. After some time I bought the newer VC2 Plus Master because it could be wired from a sufficient watt USB port. Even later I got two SP2 Chargers to use on my 26650 batteries. All my needs were met.

GPS Rider

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again to all who responded. I received my first VP2 today and am putting it through its paces with my new 16340's and 18650's.