ZeroRez, Solarforce questions , L2X

HippieTom

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks.
I want to put together a nice, bright flashlight.

It will be like:
Solarforce L2X extended edition (2x18650)
Cryos bezel
P60 drop-in MT-G2 or XHP-70 from Adventure Sport Flashlights. (cant make up my mind)
ZeroRez shorty/mounty

My questions is:

I want the ZeroRez shorty because of it looks, but i am afraid my batteries will be too short when i am running unprotected 18650s. Will the mounty be a better option you think?

I also wonder if the ZeroRez will fit in the l2x tailcap. Looks like the rubber button has a larger diameter than the regular size? Do i need to buy another tailcap, if so, what do you recommend?

Thanx

Strintguy

Enlightened
Yes, the batteries will be too short. The ZR shorty gives you 15mm of space. So you would need a 15mm spacer to run an 18650 (protected or not) in an 18650 tube. Yes, it should fit. Mounty would not be a problem. Have you looked at Cyros Illumination tailcaps? They use a McClicky and can tailstand.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ZR shorty will have an extra 15mm allowance but u can get a 15mm spacer to fill up that gap.
I do feel that the ZR mounty will be a better choice here since it looks almost the same from the outside & you won't have any issue with battery length..

ZR can fit in a tailcap with 14mm rubber boot size & most Solarforce tailcap is that size.

My experience with Solarforce tailcaps is that the internal threading is quite inconsistent.
I have quite a few & some couldn't fit the ZR shorty or the brass ring while others can.
For a safer bet, just get a black tailcap from OveReady to be safe.

HippieTom

Newly Enlightened
Strintguy- Then i leave out the shorty. I was looking at clicky's at first, but after giving up on finding Tofty switch i settled on the ZF. Will not the McClicky be fried pretty fast? I dont know what amps we are talking about on the xhp-70 on max, but i read it gets very hot.

DellSuperman- Tanks for the info. I think i will go for the mounty then, ill just put a spike or a gemstone in that hole. I have a L2 and a L2T host in the mail too, so maybe i can use one of those tailcaps?
So the Surefire tailcaps are fitting the Solarforce bodies? The Triads too?

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strintguy- Then i leave out the shorty. I was looking at clicky's at first, but after giving up on finding Tofty switch i settled on the ZF. Will not the McClicky be fried pretty fast? I dont know what amps we are talking about on the xhp-70 on max, but i read it gets very hot.

DellSuperman- Tanks for the info. I think i will go for the mounty then, ill just put a spike or a gemstone in that hole. I have a L2 and a L2T host in the mail too, so maybe i can use one of those tailcaps?
So the Surefire tailcaps are fitting the Solarforce bodies? The Triads too?
McClicky is rated for 5A & i doubt the dropin will be driven at anything lower at max. Lol..

You may try but the only Solarforce host that can fit the ZR for me is the P1D. Perhaps u will have better luck..
If both fails, u can always go back to OR to get a black Z41 tailcap.

The Surefire tailcap fits Solarforce host without issue. Just that the fitting is not as good as on the Surefire host itself, seem like there is more allowance on the threading itself.

HippieTom

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. I will buy the Z41 tailcap and the ZR Mounty just to be sure. And the Sunwayman AP-12 spike. Done thinking.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good choice! Haha..
Let us know which dropin u have decided to go for..
I love the MT-G2 for its smooth beam but haven never tried XHP70 before.

HippieTom

Newly Enlightened
Will do. I have big trouble deciding.
I want an impressive light, but it must be good for walking in the forest too, and inside buildings.
I get more and floodier light with the XHP-70 i read, but with a black cross in the center of the beam. It is a newer led with potential to be driven hard.
The MT-G2 are a older led but with a perfect beam i read. I want a nice beam and tint too..

I understand you got a Sinner Tri Edc, Dell. Do you have the Nichia 219B with FET driver? My goal is to get a light cannon compared to that light. I have the Sinner in the making so dont know what it looks like yet, i just know that Sinner will be my EDC light, and the L2X will be my walking light, and it have to preform a lot better.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will do. I have big trouble deciding.
I want an impressive light, but it must be good for walking in the forest too, and inside buildings.
I get more and floodier light with the XHP-70 i read, but with a black cross in the center of the beam. It is a newer led with potential to be driven hard.
The MT-G2 are a older led but with a perfect beam i read. I want a nice beam and tint too..

I understand you got a Sinner Tri Edc, Dell. Do you have the Nichia 219B with FET driver? My goal is to get a light cannon compared to that light. I have the Sinner in the making so dont know what it looks like yet, i just know that Sinner will be my EDC light, and the L2X will be my walking light, and it have to preform a lot better.

The "black cross" in the XHP70 will not be very visible unless you are using it indoor. I have a XPH50 (similar to the XHP70, just slightly smaller) P60 dropin & the artifact in the beam is not really obvious unless i am shining it on the wall. And VOB uses orange peel reflector so it should help reduce the beam artifact significantly, not 100% but it should help.
If you are all for tint & beam quality, the MT-G2 is an obvious choice. Both the 4000 & 5000k tint are awesome.

I do have a Sinner light!
3 if you must know. Hahaha...
A triple N219 in optic will not beat a reflector based light in terms of throw, if that is what you are asking for when you say light canon..