18650 batteries and recharging station recommendations

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
I now have three flashlights that can use the 18650 rechargeable batteries so it's time for me to get set up with a good recharging station and batteries.

The flashlights I have that use the 18650's are listed below:
Fenix E35UE
Fenix TK16
Nitecore HC90

I am looking to get a four battery charger and eight good quality rechargeable batteries and I was wondering what you would recommend for the flashlights I listed above.

Thanks,

Bob

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh are great cells with long runtime. And their prices should be lowered now since there are newer cells out in the market.

I have been using a Xtar VC4 for a few months now & its actually quite good IMO.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I just got my first 18650 compatible flashlight recently...

I'm using the Nitecore D4 Charger with the Panasonic 3.7 V / 3400 mAh dual-protected 18650 batteries...

Callemup

Newly Enlightened
Xtar VP4 is well received here, and they have a pretty decent price on xtardirect dot com. I only needed a 2-cell charger and just ordered the VP2.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the USA, Mountain Electronics, Illumn, and RTD Vapor, among others, have earned a good reputations for reliability and fair prices. For the flashlights you list, I would probably go with the EVVA Sanyo-Panasonic NCR18650GA Protected 3500mAh selling today at Mountain Electronics for $9.95 USD each.

As a satisfied owner of a Nitecore Digicharger D4, I second the recommendation of Xtar!

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
Thank you for all of the recommendations. I know that there are several threads on the subject here and I have read through them as well.

I have tried some of the cheap junk in the past and I realize how important getting a good quality charger and batteries is.

I just want to make sure that I get a good battery and charger setup that will give me good service for the long haul.

thanks,

Bob

ETA:

If I understand correctly the Nitecore Digicharger D4 will also do the NIMH batteries where the XTAR VP4 will not do the NIMH batteries.

I use Eneloop AA NIMH batteries in my GPS so it would be useful to have one charger to take care of all of my batteries.

I see see that the XTAR XP4 will do the NIMH batteries as well.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
ETA:

If I understand correctly the Nitecore Digicharger D4 will also do the NIMH batteries where the XTAR VP4 will not do the NIMH batteries.

I use Eneloop AA NIMH batteries in my GPS so it would be useful to have one charger to take care of all of my batteries.

I see see that the XTAR XP4 will do the NIMH batteries as well.

Xtar VC4 is a 4 bay USB 5v charger that will do NiMH and li-ion (3.7v cells.) It has a digital display showing capacity put into the batteries/cells, the current charging rate and the battery/cell voltages.

It needs a good quality 5v 2.1A+ USB wall wart, but if you have one, it can charge two slots up at 1A, or 4 slots up at 500mA.

Another good charger that does multi-chemistry is the Opus BT-3100/BT-3400 v. 2.2 charger. They are basically the same charger.

Chris

Witterings

Enlightened
Can you adjust the charge rate down on the Xtar VC4, I believe the best rate to charge AAA's is around 0.25c which on a typical eneloop 750 mah battery would be around 187.5 mah, I know the Nitecore D2 / D4's on low rate is still 375 mah which whilst it won't destroy them instantly it certainly won't help prolong battery life .... do you know if the Xtar VC4 can be turned down to a lower charge rate???

Benny Boy

Newly Enlightened
Will run longer. If your running a high amp draw light, an older lower capacity cell may not deliver a high enough current. For the listed lights, should make no difference on output.

Dumb question alert: Doesn't a 3400mah battery last longer than a 2200mAh battery? Will the light be brighter or just run longer? Thanks!

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
Can you adjust the charge rate down on the Xtar VC4, I believe the best rate to charge AAA's is around 0.25c which on a typical eneloop 750 mah battery would be around 187.5 mah, I know the Nitecore D2 / D4's on low rate is still 375 mah which whilst it won't destroy them instantly it certainly won't help prolong battery life .... do you know if the Xtar VC4 can be turned down to a lower charge rate???

So does it make sense to get the XTAR VC4 (or the Nitecore D4) and use it for both the 18650's and the eneloops or is it better to use the eneloop charger for the eneloop batteries and get the XTAR VP4 for the 18650's?

The enloop charger is a basic plug it in the wall 4 bay charger that uses an LED to indicate charging status.

Thanks,

Bob

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

The strange thing is no pack of batteries or battery charger I have bought has ever given instructions on how I should charge AAA,s at 0.25.I must be doing something very correct as my AAA,s are still performing well and the oldest now 8 years old like my AA.I use a basic technique of buying any Eneloop type battery and a simple Nitecore charger. :twothumbs

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
Cannot go wrong with the Nitecore D4 and Keepower 18650s. They have 3500 mah capacity now available at Illumn.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xtar VC4 or VP4. VC4 is multi chem you can charge almost anything in it VP4 is li-ion only. As for adjusting the charge rate this gets done automatically by my VC4 its programmed to recognize the chemistry and size of a cell and adjusts charging accordingly. As for cells I use nothing but Orbtronic and Keeppower 3500mah 10amp NCR18650GA cells now they freaking rock. The GA cell has very low internal resistance there is very low or no voltage sag and the cell doesnt break a sweat in very high output lights as its rated for 10amps. Youd have to really go crazy and get some Vinh mod light to need a higher amp cell. Nitecore d4 and i4 are both solid multi chem chargers and are dirt cheap. From what I have read though the i4 Version 2 is a more accurate charger which is interesting.

The Xtar needs a powerful wal wart USB plug un. I bought the Xtar specific wal wart for it which indeed works as advertised but I actually have my VC4 plugged into the iPhone 6 upgraded USB wal wart which powers the VC4 full throttle no matter what I have in it. With the Xtar wal wart load all 4 bays and the charge rates drop below .50 amp per cell the limited power from the Xtar wall wart gets distributed correctly but takes forever. Plugged into the Apple wall wart I can load all 4 bays with depleted 18650s and its pegged at .50 amp per bay throughout the entire charge cycle I love it. Never drops back at all. Load the 2 1 amp bays and its pegged at a full amp the whole charge cycle its much faster and the VC4 doesnt get hot even plugged into the higher output wal wart.

Lex Icon

Newly Enlightened

The D4 will charge at 150 mah by either loading all slots, or at least occupying slots 1&4, or 2&3 as pairs. This drops the charging current in half. The next step is to press the bottom part of the mode selector button until the word LOW appears at the bottom right of the display. The charge rate can then be set to 150 mah. This works for small lithium, as well as NiMh.
However,
I like the outboard power supply design of the Xtar chargers when it comes to managing heat generated while charging higher mah cells.