Solar powered garden lights in winter.

oldfaithful

Newly Enlightened
Firstly Hello everybody, the last few days are the first times I have ever viewed this forum.

I am having a bit of trouble with some solar powered garden lights. Now it's winter the small solar panels don't charge the batteries much at all, they only last an hour or so. I was wondering if there is a way of charging the batteries via mains during the winter or dull days. I thought of running a cable to them with the correct voltage/amperage. Then I read a few threads about charging AA batteries and it doesn't seem as simple as that. I also thought of just powering the lights constantly and not worrying about the battery but then I wouldn't have a back up in case the cable was cut or the mains went out.

I was wondering what my options where or if anybody has done any similar projects.

I know some may be thinking just buy some mains powered lights, well I've tried. I wanted a small LED light that would be dim from dusk until dawn and then brighten when it detects motion. This isn't easy to find, I found one large £90 unit. Since I need a few of them, and they're big and ugly, I decided against it. The units I currently have are about £8 each from amazon.

7a463fc2f734f4a50180a9d211573642.jpg