Would this make a good rear fog light?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
No, that's not a rear fog lamp. It's a stop/tail lamp, with output not bright enough and in the wrong distribution pattern to perform the rear fog function. This is another instance of lamps being what they are...we don't get to just "decide" a lamp into being whatever we want it to be just because it's the right color. There's no rear fog lamp in the Hella DuraLED family, but there are a couple of LED surface-mount rear fog lamps from Hella, round ones of 83 or 123 millimeter diameter. I don't think anyone stocks them in North America; they'd have to be special ordered out of Germany.

Faster and less expensive with quality and performance at least as good: you could get this US-made Peterson unit and surface-mount it with this bracket.

Qship1996

Enlightened
Thanks! Not sure why that light I linked to popped up when I searched for "rear fog light" on their site? I will look at your suggested product and see if I can find a good place to mount it on the vehicle.I would guess that a trailer hitch receiver mounted fog would not be advisable? Got a factory installed hitch that will never be used on the Highlander,seems like it would be an easy place to put one! I am seeing some single center mounted rear fog lights from the factory these days,like the 370Z and some Mini vehicles?

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Given the similar size, the one I linked should mount pretty much anywhere the one you were looking at would have mounted. If you're installing only one rear fog, it can go anywhere between the vehicle's longitudinal centerline and the left edge of the vehicle, but it's best to put it as far left as you reasonably can -- that way it takes less of a left curve to the road before drivers a few cars behind you can see it. If you're puting two, put one at the left edge and one at the right edge.

If there were a for-real rear fog lamp that would go in the trailer hitch receiver, sure, but as far as I'm aware all you can get in that kind of mounting is "accessory light" types of toys, not legitimate rear fog lamps.

Qship1996

Enlightened
Virgil,thanks for helping.....a little searching the web and I was able to order the light and surface mount bracket for just under $40 delivered price! I will be connecting to the fuse block under the dash,to a switch mounted in a dash "blank" panel,and sending the wire to the rear {aprox 15-18 feet of wire} and using frame as ground at the light itself.What size wire would be appropriate? I do not see a amp draw listed,but being LED I am thinking under 1 amp? No relay required,correct? Thanks again.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Hey, that's a good price! Got a link?

The 850F draws very little current, so no relay is required for reasons of current load. However, you may want a relay for less obvious reasons. You need some way of dealing with the eventuality that you will forget to turn off the rear fog lamp and will be driving along for miles and miles, throwing annoying and unsafe glare in the face of the drivers behind you.

At a bare minimum, the rear fog should only be operable when the vehicle's front + rear position lamps and low beams or front fogs are lit, and you need a telltale (indicator light) you can clearly see from normal driving position without moving your head. Much better/more responsible would be to wire up the rear fog via a latching relay so that whenever the headlamps or ignition are switched off, the rear fog turns off and remains off until you manually reactivate it.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Volvo wagon has a factory rear fog lamp as part of the drivers side tail lamp. There's a switch on the dash for the operation.

Try a boneyard out for the switch. Should only be a couple of dollars.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
PS,what's the deal with all the really cheap rear laser fog lamps I see advertised everywhere for $5-10? Gotta be junk at that price,but is the concept to broadcast a red line of light on the pavement like they do have merit as a rear fog lamp?????
Junk at any price, rather. They glanced briefly at Audi's concept and decided to screw any real *design* and just market this junk to the tuner crowd. Expect to see that junk installed on the same cars with HID kits, full-time front fog lamps, and burned out registration plate lights. Maybe some of the "chase" lights around the registration plate or incredibly way-too-bright LED registration plate lights.

Qship1996

Enlightened
I am shocked I have not seen a single one one the road yet.They seem to be advertised everywhere,and at a low enough price that the kids can afford them.Just a matter of time before I am following one some night,probably poorly aimed and shining directly in my eyes!

Qship1996

Enlightened
Had the rear fog installed today,shop charged 1.5 hr labor to wire it up including fabricating a bracket to mount to left side under the bumper of the Highlander.They installed a switch with a LED indicator to show when the fog lamp is energized,located in great "line of sight" to driver.I am happy with their work,and the foglamp,however it seems very directional to me- standing directly behind the vehicle,it is super bright- move off to the side a little and it is much less so-guess that is normal as it is a E code approved fixture?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had the rear fog installed today,shop charged 1.5 hr labor to wire it up including fabricating a bracket to mount to left side under the bumper of the Highlander.They installed a switch with a LED indicator to show when the fog lamp is energized,located in great "line of sight" to driver.I am happy with their work

Where'd you get this done? I have a feeling my local Toyota dealer would be loath to perform such an installation. Seems like they just don't want the work (I've asked about installing a freeze plug heater in the Previa and they just kindly declined the offer for more money. 1.5hrs of labor definitely seems fair for everyone involved.

and the foglamp,however it seems very directional to me- standing directly behind the vehicle,it is super bright- move off to the side a little and it is much less so-guess that is normal as it is a E code approved fixture?
They are supposed to have more on-axis "punch", but it's also got a fairly wide viewing angle with higher minimum intensities. I'd assume this is a category F1 lamp, with a maximum intensity of 300cd (an F2 rear fog lamp has variable luminous intensity, with a maximum of 840cd (!)).

Qship1996

Enlightened
Toyota dealer only wants quick,profitable money grab type work......everytime I go there for a quick oil change,they produce a list of every fluid that "looks dirty" and that they want to do a BG fluid exchange on......list frequently totals $500-800 worth of crap.

I had the install performed at a local automotive/truck accessory shop that specializes in selling/installing winches,lighting,back up cameras,audio and video systems,etc.They have been here for 26 years,and many recommended them.

Last edited:

fastgun

Enlightened
That is a good safety upgrade. I a considering that same lamp.
Do you have to go through Virginia's safety inspection?
While not a reguired light, Virginia will reject a rear fog that is not SAE F2.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
it seems very directional to me- standing directly behind the vehicle,it is super bright- move off to the side a little and it is much less so

Wait for a rainy or foggy day. Park the vehicle on an empty road. Walk 50 feet away from it (to the rear) then turn around and look again from both sides of the road. Walk another 50 feet away from it in the same direction and do it again. The lamp is working as designed.

Qship1996

Enlightened
That is a good safety upgrade. I a considering that same lamp.
Do you have to go through Virginia's safety inspection?

I am in Maryland,and we have NO safety inspections except when you transfer a title.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic

Virginia will probably not reject a rear fog lamp that has no SAE F2 marking if it has been removed prior to the inspection. Any lamp that is present must be functional and must be of an approved type, is the state's doctrine.