Hella DRL Controller

fastgun

Enlightened
Have any of you found the Hella SafetyDaylight Smart Controller for sale in the USA?
The only locations that I have found for these are New Zealand and Australia.

This is a DRL control module that would seem to be a very simply way to add DRLs.
Even easier than the DRL-1 unit that is readily available.

If these are now in the USA, is there a reason other than they are not sold here yet?

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a DRL control module that would seem to be a very simply way to add DRLs.
Even easier than the DRL-1 unit that is readily available.

To safely add the DRLs from the HELLA LED Safety DayLightsTM​ range of products. Are those, or similar (but genuine) DRLs (drawing less than 20W), what you plan to install?

The DRL-1 requires no additional light purchase because you're using your vehicle's turn signals.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Have any of you found the Hella SafetyDaylight Controller for sale in the USA? The only locations that I have found for these are New Zealand and Australia.
This is a DRL control module that would seem to be a very simply way to add DRLs. Even easier than the DRL-1 unit that is readily available.

No...this is just a control relay for Hella's line of add-on DRLs. Unlike the DRL-1, those Hella controllers do not activate a DRL function on a vehicle unless you also add the actual DRL light units.

fastgun

Enlightened
Should have specified that I am seeking the Hella smart controller.
But still, we are adding lights, not using existing. Even with a long life bulb such as the 5702ka there are vehicles to which I would prefer to not add a second function to the turn signal bulb.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
is there a reason other than they are not sold here yet?

The Australia-New Zealand Hella organization have a fair number of products not available through the main master German Hella parts system. Likewise, Hella organizations around the world have some autonomy in terms of what parts they do and don't handle.

What lights are you adding? If they're not Hella units, they might or might not be compatible with the Hella controller, especially the 2-mode unit.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should have specified that I am seeking the Hella smart controller.
We know you're looking for one, and we know they're designed to work with Hella's own lamps (they potentially work with other aftermarket LED DRLs, but Hella only claims they work with their own).

But still, we are adding lights, not using existing. Even with a long life bulb such as the 5702ka there are vehicles to which I would prefer to not add a second function to the turn signal bulb.
And which lamps are you adding?

You're trying to simplify adding DRLs by attempting to source a Hella product seemingly marketed only in Australia and New Zealand, and with DRLs from who-knows-whom that you still have to physically install on the vehicle. Seems like the DRL-1 is the much easier option.

fastgun

Enlightened
The DRL-1 is a good simple choice for some vehicles with easy to replace/reach bulbs, much less so for other vehicles.
Are you confirming this module is not available from a USA source?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
As far as I can tell, those modules are N/A through American channels; you'd have to order it out of Australia or New Zealand yourself.

fastgun

Enlightened
Thank you sir.

Do you know if the Hella lighting division is one company world wide?

fastgun

Enlightened
Edit

Just wanted to say thank you. It looks as if Philips is marketing a control module that will work very similarly to the
Hella smart controller. This can be found in the North American market.

If any forum members have used the Philips Daylight Guide product and can give a review it will be appreciated.

Any European members familiar with Ilual's controller?

Last edited: