Honda Odyssey Unnecessary Uncontrollable exterior Door Lights Removal

PD-35 Noob

Newly Enlightened
I searched everywhere and there was no way to control the door "courtesy lights". (Honda odyssey 2007 service manual. EX-?L? trim)

By door courtesy lights I mean the lights that turn on when the front doors are opened.

At night in nature they utterly (*Inappropriate language removed- this is a family-friendly forum) my night vision (also make car camping more high profile) so I took my swiss army knife popped the suckers open and removed the bulbs.

Since the circuit is open there should be no battery drain right? (When the door is open) Or are there other components that could cause battery drain like door sensors or something? (I've never had a flat battery in this car, I always carry a portable battery/car starter).

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the CandlePowerForums!

I see Greta has edited some language in your post-- please try to keep this forum family friendly by communicating like a grown-up.
I searched everywhere and there was no way to control the door "courtesy lights". (Honda odyssey 2007 service manual. EX-?L? trim)

By door courtesy lights I mean the lights that turn on when the front doors are opened.

I assume you mean the lights are also in the doors, often called "puddle lights" because they can help keep you from stepping into a puddle at night. There should be less battery drain with the bulbs out than when in when the doors are open, and none when the doors are closed.

I replaced the "puddle lights" in a friend's car with the 'natural amber' version of the bulbs the car used-- it still performs the puddle light function and is much softer on the eyes (on that vehicle, a '99 RX300, the lamps' lenses are clear). You could also use red bulbs to do slightly less damage to your night vision, but they also become less effective for seeing what you're about to step into. On the other hand, if you'd prefer not to have that function, taking the bulbs out is the easiest and cheapest option.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
If you sometimes need the lights, perhaps a better modification would be to install an inline switch. That would allow you to open the circuit whenever it is needed.