Jetbeam RRT26 Question

Clm65

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday I received a Jetbeam RRT26 light, which so far I am extremely happy with. But I do have a potential issue with the power indicator function. The light has red/green/blue leds that are used to indicate rough battery level. According to the directions, a flashing green light indicates sufficient power, a flashing blue light indicates about 50% remaining power, and a flashing red light indicates almost no power. The first couple batteries I tried were charged about a month ago and stored until use. Both batteries gave me the flashing blue right away (~50% power). This morning I charged up a battery, just to make sure it didn't drain excessively during a month of sitting. The Nitecore D2 charger showed 4.12V before charging, and was fully charged pretty quick. Again I got a blue flashing light. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've never had/used a battery power indicator function before, so I may be using or interpreting it wrong. And I don't know how much I will rely on it in the future, so I'm not sure how big a deal it is. If it does seem like there is a problem, is it worth returning?

Clm65

Newly Enlightened
After reviewing the manual more thoroughly, I think I may have figured out what is going on. The manual says the order of the LEDs as you rotate the control ring clockwise from full stop is blue-green-red. However, on my light, it is green-blue-red. So maybe they have the wiring slightly wrong, in which case I should expect to see a green flashing light when I'm about 50% power.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam needs to do a better job on their power indicating methods on their lights. I do not have the RRT26 but do have 3 other Jetbeams with screwy power indication methods. I am also familiar enough with Jetbeam to know that correct information in their manuals gets lost in translation sometimes. I believe your RRT26 is wired just fine whoever at Jetbeam authored the manual just got it wrong. The manual for the SRA40 is a good example of "lost in translation". I noticed in the power indication LEDs on my SRA40 the second the cells fall below 100% the 50% indicator flashes leaving one to just guess. I like Jetbeam I have 3 of their lights SRA40,3M Pro and WL-S2 they are built like tanks unfortunately the power indication is just inaccurate and screwy.

You are not doing anything wrong its Jetbeams inaccurate indicating methods. Enjoy the light. Dont bother trying to contact Jetbeam I am convinced they have no fluent English speakers there. I have been trying to get the colored glass filters for my 3M Pro forever and have never gotten a single reply. Good luck

Clm65

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Celtic, I do like the light a lot and I'll follow your recommendation to not waste my time trying to contact Jetbeam. I am curious though if there any other RRT26 owners out there, and what the power light sequence is on theirs. I did see the review of this light by selfbuilt, and it seems to agree with the manual. Oh well, no biggie....

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm interesting. Ill be watching this thread. Maybe you can contact the retailer you bought it from about this issue?

Taz80

Enlightened
My RRT26 is blue, green, red, standby and white, and the battery power indicator flashes green for sufficient power. I'm with CelticCross74 on this one, the lights built like a tank but I wouldn't trust the power indicator. If you want the full brightness use 18350's, I think it only puts out around 560lms on one 18650.

Clm65

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Taz, you have confirmed that mine is wired a little differently. I sent an email to Andrew and Amanda (retailer) as CelticCross suggested, so we'll see what they say, but I'm inclined to just accept it as-is. I agree, this thing is built like a tank, which is exactly what I want. It is definitely not lightweight, but I prefer heavy and solid to lightweight anyway. And the control ring is the bees knees. And thanks for the tip on the batteries. I don't have any 18350s yet, but I'll put them on my list.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Andrew and Amanda should take care of you. This thread made me curious to check out Selfbuilts review of the RRT26 and was pretty surprised by it. Just 560 lumens on a single 18650? Have to use 2xpower source to get even close to advertised specs? Hmmm...Jetbeam is a heck of a toss up. Besides their hinky voltage indicating systems my Jetbeams aside from that have been outstanding. Ive done a bit of business with Andrew and Amanda and they have been first class all the way I would be shocked if they didnt take care of this issue for you and quickly at that....let us know...

Clm65

Newly Enlightened
Andrew replied to my email yesterday, and said he will check out another one on Monday morning to see how it operates. Even if he confirms mine is miswired, I'm not sure that I will return it. I really like the light, as I mentioned, and it puts out plenty of light for what I need. I think the colored LEDs are pretty much useless though, but I didn't buy it for those lights anyway. What I really like is the control ring. It is very smooth, and I like the ring much more than buttons.

As far as Andrew and Amanda goes, yes, they seem to be excellent retailers, and are by far my favorite. I only found their website about a month ago, but I check it everyday for their daily deals. Fast, free shipping...could be dangerous.

Clm65

Newly Enlightened
Heard back from Andrew. They tested several lights, and they didn't get the flashing blue lights until well below 50% battery power. So this confirms that blue light should be associated with somewhat reduced battery power. I was able to run my battery down a bit the other night, and I got a flashing green light. This confirms that the circuitry in my light is incorrect. It seems that Andrew would take back/exchange the light if I don't want to put up with the incorrect light sequence, but it's really not that big of a deal to me. But that brings me to my next question...

I ran the battery down the other night during a power outage. I used the light to illuminate my son's room so that he could finish his homework (tailstanding and bouncing light off the ceiling). I had the light dialed up pretty bright (not sure if it was all the way, but was at least close to all the way). After about 5 minutes, there was a slight periodic flicker in the light. When I picked up the light, it was very warm/hot. I know some lights have a timed step down, and some have a thermal step down, but other than the flicker, I didn't notice any reduction in output. Does this sound normal? I'm a little worried that the circuit issue with the colored leds might be indicative of other bigger issues.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm...take Andrew and Amanda up on their offer to exchange the light for a properly functioning one. Bonus here is that they have tested a couple out to make sure they work right so you will get a properly functioning unit. To me these lights are not cheap I would not settle for a malfunctioning unit. Up to you OP...

Clm65

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to agree with you. Of course, they did not give me a direct offer to replace it...I interpreted their question about "if you can live with it" as an offer to replace it if it bothered me. And they haven't replied to emails I sent yesterday and today, so I'm not sure what is up. But right now I'm losing confidence in this light and as you point out, it wasn't cheap, so I shouldn't settle. Thanks!

Clm65

Newly Enlightened
Just to provide closure on this thread, today I received my replacement RRT26 from Andrew and Amanda. This one works great. A&A is a top notch company, for sure! Thanks for the advice, Celticcross!